On 2018-11-01 at 2:04 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I hope the Makar talk wasn't my doing. I mentioned him in a post a few pages back, just because Makar had gotten off to a hot start and some people on Twitter were making comparisons to Hughes and his comparatively slow start. I was mostly making the point that Hughes's numbers were actually quite good for a D+1 sophomore defenseman, and that his underlyings and eye test also suggested he was likely to score even more (which he did subsequent to that post).

The Makar comparison is only interesting because Hughes and Makar are similar sized and play a similar role. And they were drafted and ranked in similar spots in their respective classes. But as others have noted, Makar has a year on Hughes, and it's also very early into the season, and there are also questions about the quality of competition in the team's they've faced to date, and also the quality of teammates, in terms of how their squads have played so far, so we shouldn't make too much of their head to head scoring production. It's inevitable that these two players will be compared, possibly throughout their careers, but Makar's 2018-19 NCAA points per game definitely shouldn't be the measuring stick for Hughes's development and success.

Sid,

In the defence of the CDC, it doesn’t take much for things to go off the rails.  It is like a bad game of telephone. 

I would be hesitant to ever place solitary blame on structured collective madness so I think you are blameless for where ever the collective thought train goes. 

• Haha 1

Today's game is on flohockey.tv again (paid service). I don't think there's even an "illegal" stream available.

Links for live stats and radio (and the paid stream) are in this tweet:

Listed start is 7:07pm Eastern Time, so 4:07pm in Vancouver.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
put "illegal" in quotes because it's technically not illegal to stream games in Canada from unauthorized providers, so long as you don't download the content
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Looks like they lost 5-2. No points for Q. 

This may have been mentioned in the Lockwood thread, can’t remember. 

Lockwood looked very good in the game.   Hughes was not stellar and seemed to be almost "floating" through some of the game.   Does anyone know if he is fighting an injury as he didn't seem keen to push the play much.   Admittedly first full game I have seen this year and the tape feed was not brilliant.    

Looking at the Michigan Hockey feed, I see that he has a goal tonight, not sure if he has any assists.

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

2 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

^^^

quite possibly the worst gif of all time 

Quite possibly the biggest understatement of all time.

So, 7 games in, I think it's fair to say Hughes isn't lighting US college hockey on fire.  Tied for 6th in scoring among defensemen, with other high NHL draft picks ahead of him ,such K'andre Miller and Cale Makar.  Not that he's having a poor year of course, just that expectations are ridiculously high, and anything less that strong consideration for the Hobey might be considered a disappointment. 

One trend that I've picked up that seems a little worrying is that his play seems disinterested at times.  We certainly noticed it at the summer showcase, but brushed it off as his being sick and having nothing to gain, but a few posters have made similar observations on his play so far this year at Michigan.  

Oh well, the season is young, lots of hockey left to be played, perhaps he picks it up, OR perhaps he blows the doors off when he finishes the year in Vancouver and is presented more of a challenge.  

There's a reason Hughes' offensive stats are down slightly. He - and his team in general - are focusing on their defensive game. And by most accounts, it's going well:

https://www.michigandaily.com/section/ice-hockey/michigans-defense-stepped-well-its-discipline (need to fill out short survey to read)

One of Hughes' biggest criticisms was that he roved too much, and his freewheeling style would get exposed at the pro level. So this should be seen as a positive development.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dungass said:

So, 7 games in, I think it's fair to say Hughes isn't lighting US college hockey on fire.  Tied for 6th in scoring among defensemen, with other high NHL draft picks ahead of him ,such K'andre Miller and Cale Makar.  Not that he's having a poor year of course, just that expectations are ridiculously high, and anything less that strong consideration for the Hobey might be considered a disappointment. 

One trend that I've picked up that seems a little worrying is that his play seems disinterested at times.  We certainly noticed it at the summer showcase, but brushed it off as his being sick and having nothing to gain, but a few posters have made similar observations on his play so far this year at Michigan.  

Oh well, the season is young, lots of hockey left to be played, perhaps he picks it up, OR perhaps he blows the doors off when he finishes the year in Vancouver and is presented more of a challenge.  

going pro was the best move for him.  Disappointing

3 hours ago, Dungass said:

7 points in 7 games...while trying to work out the defensive side of things...sounds pretty hot to me...maybe not on fire yet, but if he holds on to the PPG pace he will be in the Hobey Baker conversation.

Nothing to worry about here....

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dungass said:

Definitely agree that Quinn needs to increase his intensity.  Looks a little lackadaisical at times or appears he isn't skating hard enough to get back into position.  

He will learn eventually in the pros though that he cannot take moments off during his shift, he needs to be proactive at all times.  After having 2 years of Travis Green's defensive style and what he wants in the defensive zone, Quinn has some work ahead of him.   He wants defense to activate and engage the opposition at all times and play hard.  Quinn sometimes looks like he is drifting in his own zone.

I don't think Hughes has to blow the doors open offensively, because we know his offensive tools are there, what we should be more interested in seeing how Hughes develops his defensive game (his reads, positioning, and all around effort).

5 hours ago, D-Money said:

There's a reason Hughes' offensive stats are down slightly. He - and his team in general - are focusing on their defensive game. And by most accounts, it's going well:

https://www.michigandaily.com/section/ice-hockey/michigans-defense-stepped-well-its-discipline (need to fill out short survey to read)

One of Hughes' biggest criticisms was that he roved too much, and his freewheeling style would get exposed at the pro level. So this should be seen as a positive development.

His offensive stats are down? I’m not sure where you’re getting that from. He’s got 7 in 7 which is a better pace than last year.

I do second that his looks disinterested at times - which could be a sign of just that: disinterest, or because of legitimate poor play which makes him look disinterested. Not sure which one it is but he’s gotta pick it up to sustain his scoring.

5 hours ago, Dungass said:

7 games in is still a very small sample size. The projected leaders in scoring, whether in college or NHL or junior, generally aren’t going to be leading. The hot ones at the top generally cool down and the projected leaders generally sustain a good pace or pick up their pace. If Quinn sustains his pace and goes PPG, he’ll definitely be above 6th for dman scoring. Just because it’s earlier season which means a bunch of guys will be above PPG due to sample size, doesn’t mean everyone can sustain it. I think Quinn should be able to do that. But again, he’ll need to pick up his intensity/play.

3 hours ago, Grape said:

His offensive stats are down? I’m not sure where you’re getting that from. He’s got 7 in 7 which is a better pace than last year.

I do second that his looks disinterested at times - which could be a sign of just that: disinterest, or because of legitimate poor play which makes him look disinterested. Not sure which one it is but he’s gotta pick it up to sustain his scoring.

Honestly, he's that good. He's looking disinterested and putting up a ppg at the NCAA level. Once he's feeling it a bit more he will be lethal. 

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:38 PM, Sean Monahan said:

^^^

quite possibly the worst gif of all time 

I just watched jack Rathbones highlights from the Harvard twitter and they have super HD crystal clear video and then there's this.

1 minute ago, wshdrvvn said:

I just watched jack Rathbones highlights from the Harvard twitter and they have super HD crystal clear video and then there's this.

“Just use your imagination to picture how sweet this shot was”

7 games is a blip on the radar.

Probably he realizes he has something to learn still - and needs to get his game in order defensively by the sound of it?  So he would be in Utica anyways if he decided to stay.

he is no Dahlin, he will take time.  He could be a solid #1 D.  Patience is required.  He is probably wishing he was in Van though with EP taking off, so expect him to focus and be ready to a few games at the end of the season!   Someone from the team is probably planning on talking to him sometime soon