The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

13 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

K’Andre Miller is a really good late 1st round player. He was underrated and is showing it. He, Wilde and Woo were my hope with our second. Glad for Woo!!  

Hughes is a ppg player atm, Michigan has been off and on, while Hughes has been inconsistent. Okay, early days, but a ppg defender in the NCAA is a let down?

From what I have read Hughes is working hard off ice, building strength and working on his shot.  That type of off ice training takes a lot of energy away from guys, it pays off later, but with other young D+1 players who need to work on building strength, they don’t seem

to have the same jump for a while.  It’s for a reason, I am speculating, but Hughes has talked about his goals this year. To get ready for the NHL. 

This time next year we may have another Rookie of the year candidate. That would be candidates three years in a row. Not to shabby. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Wow!  Quinn sure looks like a boy still.  I know he's great right now, but this kid is going to be another Pettersson, but only on D.  

What’s the equivalent of Swedish Gretsky hype name for Quinn? American Coffey? Americano? Haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/5/2018 at 8:17 AM, Alflives said:

Wow!  Quinn sure looks like a boy still.  I know he's great right now, but this kid is going to be another Pettersson, but only on D.  

That's pretty much what I'm thinking...we have another ankle breaker....what I want to see is some 4v4 with Quinn breaking the ankles of both forwards before passing to EP who puts both D. onto there backsides as well....before roofing it....

What a glorious sight...

• Like 1

Makar may be off to a generational start....but Quinn is at a PPG pace while playing with  Brock Busteritis...I thought he looked slow  ( for him ) in the game highlinghts.

I wonder what he can do when his groin gets to 100%...?

Makar isn't going to keep up a 2 PPG pace...could they meet in the middle and fight it out for the Hobey Baker...?

....yup...

22 hours ago, rekker said:

This time next year we may have another Rookie of the year candidate. That would be candidates three years in a row. Not to shabby. 

That's a tall order. I don't remember the last time a Dman got a Calder

7 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

That's pretty much what I'm thinking...we have another ankle breaker....what I want to see is some 4v4 with Quinn breaking the ankles of both forwards before passing to EP who puts both D. onto there backsides as well....before roofing it....

What a glorious sight...

I have a feeling next year we are going to look crazy mobile. Given what EP is doing right now, it's kind of scary to think about Quinn skating around opposition like he does along with Pettersson. All Boeser would have to do is just wait for the puck to be handed to him on a silver platter.

EDIT: You know what? If we did somehow get Jack Hughes (not expecting it), we could start looking like Pittsburgh. :o

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

For sure winning as a dman is pretty tough. But being on the conversation. Why not? Ekblad and Dahlin come to mind. 

Dahlin is going to have to be beyond exceptional if he even wants to be in the running at this point.  EP is walking away with it, almost a quarter of the way into the season.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Dahlin is going to have to be beyond exceptional if he even wants to be in the running at this point.  EP is walking away with it, almost a quarter of the way into the season.

Sure looks that way for EP. Going into the season though Dahlin was definitely in the conversation.

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Ekblad wasn't that long ago

Yeah, that was only a few years ago, and several years before that Myers won. Ekblad winning seems like just yesterday to me, but to kids I guess a few years seems like forever. But it's true that it is tougher for Dmen to win, because points speak louder than anything. Like if EP scores 90 points this year, Dahlin would probably need to score something like 60+ points to have any chance of winning the Calder, even if he finishes the year looking like a superstar too. For Hughes next year, it doesn't just depend on how good he is then, but also on how high scoring the competition is.

8 hours ago, 250Integra said:

Quinn? maybe he meant Jack Hughes? ;)

It would be a long shot, but certainly fun to watch two brothers compete for the Calder as rookie of the year.  

I wonder if that has ever come close to happening?  The twins might have, obviously, but they had kind of a slow start to their careers in the NHL.