The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I meant 9 games, got my numbers mixed up.

so why 9 games?  He's not a member of a CHL club, so there's no restriction on the number of games he plays before his ELC kicks in.  The minute he signs a deal, coming out of the NCAA, his elc kicks in.  

On 2018-11-18 at 3:51 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

I'm going to play a bit of devil's advocate and go over something that's been on my mind since we drafted Quinn.  

Going into last year's draft, he was ranked 6th and 10th overall by a few publications that I recall. It was a stronger then average draft year, so this puts him on track to be a very good NHLer most likely.   

I see most of the forum penciling him into our lineup and treating it like it's almost a certainty that he will be with the Canucks next year.  

Looking at some of the top defencemen of the last few years that play a similar style, you see that guys like ...

Torey Krug (3 years college, 1 year AHL) 

Erik Karlsson (1 year in Sweden after draft, quarter of the next year in AHL) 

Roman Josi (2 years Europe after draft, 2 years AHL) 

Kristopher Letang (2 years of Junior after draft, part time of third year in AHL) 

Tyson Barrie (2 years of junior after draft, 2 more years of mostly AHL) 

Keith Yandle (1 year of junior after draft, 2 years of mostly AHL) 

all spent 3 or 4 years in the minor leagues before they became regular NHLers with the exception of Erik Karlsson.  

I feel that Quinn Hughes might be looking at 2020 before he's on the Canucks, or he might get the 7 game taste of the NHL next year, but not more.  

I love this rationalism

you don’t belong on CDC

and why isn’t Juolevi a Norris winner yet?

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Wanless said:

I love this rationalism

you don’t belong on CDC

and why isn’t Juolevi a Norris winner yet?

Interesting that at least he provides some kind of argument and you provide nothing, yet you call him guilty of rationalism when his argument does not rely on a priori, nor on deduction from axioms, but on induction and analogy.  How you get to “and why isn’t Juolevi a Norris winner yet” is a mystery for the ages. 

All he he is saying is that many defencemen take time and development to make the NHL - there is nothing radical about that observation - then he gives examples.  You, on the other hand, have nothing but sarcasm, a feeble attempt at an argument from intimidation, and an ad hominem attack.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Quinn is an elite prospect that will make an impact right away ala BB and EP. Anyone who thinks he will spend time in the AHL is out to lunch, and I don't think it's a stretch to predict he starts and remains on the Nucks.

It's not a stretch, and he may...  but you're comparing a defenceman to forwards.  Dmen take longer to mature and be NHL ready.  

We've seen what happens with concussions...  Demko's been out for months now.  Is Quinn ready to go back and retrieve the puck with a fast 220lb forward coming in to lay a hit on him?  

8 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Interesting that at least he provides some kind of argument and you provide nothing, yet you call him guilty of rationalism when his argument does not rely on a priori, nor on deduction from axioms, but on induction and analogy.  How you get to “and why isn’t Juolevi a Norris winner yet” is a mystery for the ages. 

All he he is saying is that many defencemen take time and development to make the NHL - there is nothing radical about that observation - then he gives examples.  You, on the other hand, have nothing but sarcasm, a feeble attempt at an argument from intimidation, and an ad hominem attack.

I wasn’t arguing his point bud

He’s right

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryan Johnson on Quinn Hughes:

"Quinn has taken a big step forward. His hockey sense & how he reads the game is so high, the position he puts other players in by making a simple play that a lot of others can’t see. He does a great job of walking the line and has a quick shot to get it through to the net."

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

It's not a stretch, and he may...  but you're comparing a defenceman to forwards.  Dmen take longer to mature and be NHL ready.  

We've seen what happens with concussions...  Demko's been out for months now.  Is Quinn ready to go back and retrieve the puck with a fast 220lb forward coming in to lay a hit on him?  

EP does it...I think Quinn can do it as well....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/20/2018 at 10:27 AM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

EP does it...I think Quinn can do it as well....

You have to do it at least twice as much if not more when you’re a dman compared to a forward, even though he is a center.  

Quinn’s skating is elite, it just might not be a bad idea to have him face bigger adult athletes that have 0.90 of the NHL’s speed to start.  

On the the other hand, hitting seems to be all but gone from the league. 

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

You have to do it at least twice as much if not more when you’re a dman compared to a forward, even though he is a center.  

Quinn’s skating is elite, it just might not be a bad idea to have him face bigger adult athletes that have 0.90 of the NHL’s speed to start.  

On the the other hand, hitting seems to be all but gone from the league. 

I think the AHL is a rougher game. The NHL is transitioning into a smaller and faster league. There are more of these smaller dmen making more and more.

The AHL is not a rougher game. There are big bodies in the NHL that on average are much faster than in the AHL. And they still hit alot. Ask all the NHL players that are injured this year from hits. Hell...just look at Edler.

The NHL does have some small D men but it is still a much tougher league to play in obviously.

And this statement just makes me laugh - On the the other hand, hitting seems to be all but gone from the league. 

Give me a break. There is still lots of hitting in the league. Jeez...

There are something like 9000 hits in the NHL so far....at the quarter mark.

5 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

The AHL is not a rougher game. There are big bodies in the NHL that on average are much faster than in the AHL. And they still hit alot. Ask all the NHL players that are injured this year from hits. Hell...just look at Edler.

The NHL does have some small D men but it is still a much tougher league to play in obviously.

And this statement just makes me laugh - On the the other hand, hitting seems to be all but gone from the league. 

The AHL is harder leauge to play in then the NHL.    Skill level is down, and many border NHL hopefuls play their hardest in hopes of achieving that step. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

That is a misconception many uninformed posters state.

I did some quick math.  The top 20 penalty receivers in the nhl take 1.79 penalty minutes per game while the in the AHL it’s 2.55.

I don’t know if you’re wrong because I don’t watch many AHL games but do you have any stats or professional analysis to back you claim?

4 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

There are nowhere as many big hits in the league as there used to be.  

How many guys have been plastered behind their net a-la Torres on Seabrook? None this year.  

Blindside hits are all but gone, which is good.  

Guys aren’t finishing their checks as much anymore.  

How many big hits have we seen in Canucks games? 4-5? In 25 games