The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

14 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Man this team desperately needs that speed from the backend.  Biega showed what that can do when he had that nice rush and set up LE with what should've been a tap-in last game vs. LA.  Cannot wait until he suits up with the Canucks. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/22/2018 at 8:28 PM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

lol Brian Burke "that's a small body gentlemen, that's a small body"

WOOOOOOOOOO love this pick, pettersson, Boeser, others will benefit from him.  finally our offensive dman.

He is smaller, but give him 1-2 years and he'll probably put on 10 pounds. If he can get to ~185-190 pounds, he'll be a decent NHL defenseman. 

And don't underestimate the strength of a shorter 5'10 guy that weighs 190. 

1 hour ago, Dungass said:

Maybe Sid can comment on this, but I saw a Twitter feed claiming that Hughes has an 85% defensive zone controlled exit rate this year.  To put that in perspective (if true), a great controlled exit rate is 40%+.

I have a hunch you read the same thing I did, which was referring to a single game and not the entire season.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I haven't taken an in depth look at Hughes since before the draft, so here it goes. 

There was some talk a couple pages back about comparable for Hughes. The closest comparable to Hughes in terms of a development path is Werenski by far. Both of them played for Michigan in the NCAA in their draft years, both were drafted 8th overall in their respective drafts and both are offensive defensemen. You can't really get much closer than that. The only notable differences between the two are the physical aspects; Werenski has about 4 inches and 30 lbs on Hughes, but we all know that Hughes is on a different level than pretty much everyone else when it comes to skating. Here are their stats from their draft and draft +1 years stacked up against each other:

Draft Year:

NCAA:

Werenski: 9 goals, 16 assists for 25 points in 35 games (0.71 PPG) - 7th in team scoring 

Hughes: 5 goals, 24 assists for 29 points in 37 games (0.78 PPG) - 3rd in team scoring

Looking at the context behind these numbers, the quality of the team around both these players in their respective draft year is incredibly similar. Both team's records were essentially identical; both teams won 22 games and lost 15, with Hughes' team tying 3 while playing 3 more games. This makes the records pretty much exactly equal. Werenski's Wolverines scored slightly more (143 goals in 37 games) than Hughes' team did (136 goals in 40 games) and also gave up less goals. Despite that, Hughes' team made it to the Frozen Four while Werenski made it to the Big Ten. It's also worth mentioning that Werenski was playing with guys like Larkin, Hyman, Copp, Motte and Compher while the only significant names on Hughes' team are Marody and Calderone. So overall, Hughes had slightly better offensive playing on a slightly lower scoring team with less talent to work with and being a larger part of the team's offense in the NCAA.

Both players also played for team USA at the WJC playing relatively minor roles.

Draft +1 Year:

Werenski: 11 goals, 25 assists for 36 points in 36 games (1.00 PPG) - 4th in team scoring

Hughes: 3 goals, 12 assists for 15 points in 13 games (1.15 PPG) - 2nd in team scoring     ***season still ongoing***

Hughes' season is about a third of the way through and it's still relatively early, so there aren't any team rankings or anything for him. Werenski however played on a really good Michigan team that was ranked #2. Their goal differential was +66 in 38 games. The team was lead by Kyle Connor, who had a monster year, along with Compher, Motte and Werenski offensively. He also signed an AHL deal at the end of the year and played 7 games there registering 1 goal. I don't want to talk too much about what Hughes' has done because it's a small sample and they're only a third of the way through the season, but he's tracking well as of right now. Given the precedent he set in the second half of last year, the slightly weaker team and the fact he's been a huge generator of offense, finishing around a point per game would be great. 

Werenski also had a big WJC with 9 points in 7 games. Watching that tournament, he was a factor in every game. Watching Hughes have a similar impact in our own backyard would be a treat. 

Moving on, Werenski had a big year in his draft +3 season as he put up 47 points in 78 NHL games (0.60 PPG) after getting his feet wet in pro hockey at the end of the last season. Hughes' experience at the WHC is pretty comparable to that already and that was at the end of his draft year. Obviously we all hope that Hughes can step in and have a similar impact to Werenski throughout his career. 

So in conclusion, I think the most likely path for Hughes is to sign an AHL deal or an NHL ELC at the end of the year (depending on what the schedule permits) and getting a taste for the next level. After that, I think it's fair to say that we would expect him to make the team next year. 

good research and a logical line of reasoning, but I'm not crazy about the comparison -- the skillsets are just way too different.