The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

32 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Not to be brutal but asides from some nice passes and breakouts I saw a lot I didn’t like from Hughes. He got caught holding the puck too long too often and felt he was trying to do too much at times and it just didn’t work out for him. 

Of course it would have been nice to see him have a killer tourney but guys like Necas, Zadina, Kaut all had pretty bad tourneys and by no way does that mean they have gotten worse or will be awful in the future. So I’m not going to read too much into it.

i would like to see Hughes commit to his decisions quicker because once he’s in the NHL he is going to have less time to make plays. I really think he needs to work on his shot so on our PP they will have to be aware of him and not just shadow Boeser and petey. 

But i I do think he is very talented at drawing defenders into him tight while dishing out beautiful saucer passes. Imagining this and teeing up petey and Boeser for one timers or to feed an attacker on the rush with speed like horvat or Virtanen is easy to visualize. 

Im still very excited for him and at the end of the day this tourney will just motivate him to work on all the parts of his game that need it.

It is very challenging to interpret these deficiencies in his game. Is it a show of character that he expects to carry every play from D zone to O zone and carry his team on his back? Or, is it a proof of his lack of judgement and inability to make proper decisions under pressure? How will playing with both tougher competition and better teammates in the NHL affect his style of play?

At this point, there is not much to worry about in his game per se but how he reacts to the loss to Finland. This is so as Quinn played a major role during the tournament and he was very much invested in the outcome emotionally and professionally. Is he pissed off about the loss and inspired to be better and win in the NHL? Or, is he having doubts about the way he has played and attempts to become a player that he is not? If he has the mental fortitude of Elias Pettersson dealing with competition and injuries, I think Quinn will eventually excel in NHL. So far, none of the hockey sources indicate any problems with his confidence nor character. We will see. 

Edited by Maddogy

13 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Well Elias has already suffered a concussion and let's hope that we're not adding a knee injury to the list already.  It's pretty obvious that Elias' size was the biggest contributing factor in both cases.  

Defenders have to go back to retrieve the puck and are a lot more prone to big hits.  

I've said it before, but waiting for an extra year for Quinn is not the end of the world.  Defenders take longer to be NHL ready then forwards. 

There are D Hughes size doing just fine in the NHL.

Spurgeon is smaller.

Ellis is stockier, about the same size, 

Same for Krug.

Speaking of Boston, Grzylcyk is smurfed by Hughes.

Jersey has two 5'10'' guys, Butcher and Vatanen. Both are dangerous. Each was Hughes size at draft age in weight.

Tyson Barrie is 5'10'' and heavier than Quinn.

Samuel Girard the smallest of all?

These guys rarely, if ever get beat to pucks for big hits. Its not just speed, but lightning quick agility. Also dexterity with the puck when they retrieve it. Spurgeon passes it out. Girard turns the corner and makes guys miss him, lugs it out. They can also navigate, fly through the neutral zone in fact, as other people turn to deal with the fact the puck is not contained. Its actually heading up ice...

I'm not saying I'm not worried. And some extra meat on his arms and shoulders would not hurt. Hughes will, however, have a low centre of gravity. That knee sprain Petey took would just not happen that way. Unlikely anyway. 

I think we need to take a breather.  Yes, Quinn didn't have the best tournament or live up to expectations, but that isn't the end of the world.  I would focus more on his play at Michigan and pick that apart if you have to.  International tournaments can massively over-inflate (Juolevi, Middelstadt) or lower a players (Petey) stock disproportionate to their actual abilities.  

14 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Quinn looked pretty damn good to me.  He will easily be on this roster full time next year

It must be the end times, because I actually agree with you. There is quite a few negative critics of his play that just don't add up to the eye test or the stats. I question whether some posters are actually watching him in the NCAA to be able to make the claims they are making. History has proven time and again that the WJC tournament is not a good indicator of NHL success.

You know who are guilty of consistently giving the puck away and not looking good on defense? Pouliot and Del Zotto. Quinn would eeeeasily slot into a spot on the left side for this squad at this very moment.

Not to mention his points totals for Michigan. He has missed 3 games due to the WJC yet he still leads the team in points. I'd expect to see him and Norris go back and make an immediate impact.

Saying that I think Michigan will have a tough time going far in the frozen four and as it's been mentioned, signing him this season forces us to expose another defenseman. I'd much rather see him sign an ATO for the Comets and finish up the season down there just to protect our assets, but It's hard to believe they'll be able to talk him into that. Let's go Blue, win the championship for the Canucks.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Quinn looked pretty damn good to me.  He will easily be on this roster full time next year

Can he screw up more then Pouliot?... Maybe but at least he still has time to learn from his mistakes. Pouliot just isn't an NHL defensemen.

Edler (traded and resigned)-Tanev (If traded sign Myers)

Hutton-Guddy

Hughes-Stecher

Juolevi (Should start in NHL next year, needs the experience)-Biega

4 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Can he screw up more then Pouliot?... Maybe but at least he still has time to learn from his mistakes. Pouliot just isn't an NHL defensemen.

Edler (traded and resigned)-Tanev (If traded sign Myers)

Hutton-Guddy

Hughes-Stecher

Juolevi (Should start in NHL next year, needs the experience)-Biega

Juolevi needs to start in the ahl again next year. He wasn't ready for NHL minutes before his injury. Now he needs to take half a year off essentially. He's close but he is likely to start in the ahl.

I would like to see Pouliot and mdz moving on and Edler/tanev returning.

1 minute ago, cyoung said:

Juolevi needs to start in the ahl again next year. He wasn't ready for NHL minutes before his injury. Now he needs to take half a year off essentially. He's close but he is likely to start in the ahl.

I would like to see Pouliot and mdz moving on and Edler/tanev returning.

You may be right about Juolevi but it sure wouldn't hurt him to get some games in the NHL and realize what he needs to work on. I also hope we can have Edler and tanev next year, but Id like to see an Edler sign and trade and if a good price is offered for Tanev then you may have to take it.

13 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Quinn and EP are going to be a real treat

Hell yah!. Everyone sees Vancouver as an inferior team, they don't know the half of it.  Hughes on the blue line, Boes and EP40 on the one timer. We have a lot of building to do and it is going a lot smoother than Calagary, Toronto, Edmonton.

4 minutes ago, Schneider.Man604 said:

Hell yah!. Everyone sees Vancouver as an inferior team, they don't know the half of it.  Hughes on the blue line, Boes and EP40 on the one timer. We have a lot of building to do and it is going a lot smoother than Calagary, Toronto, Edmonton.

we are like our 5th year into the rebuild and no where being a contender while the first 2 teams you named are already contenders. Edmonton have two of the best players in the game but just cant win. So i dunno how you can say our rebuild is smoother, shorter or better... 

50 minutes ago, Canuck7071 said:

Coming out of the World Juniors.

Both of them... 

It should be the same. The WJC is relatively meaningless for player evaluation.

Players can ride an individual hot streak and/or catch instant chemistry while other lines struggle to gain it.

Quinn Hughes remains the same in my eyes. High risk, high reward. He's got this dynamic skating and puck moving ability that no one else seems to have. He's like a budget patrick kane anchoring a rush. He's small as hell and has an unorthodox way of defending. The way he plays defense reminds me of Matt Bartkowski. Whether that will end up being effective at the NHL level is to be seen. But man oh man is he ever exciting when he is on his game. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Tom Sestito said:

It should be the same. The WJC is relatively meaningless for player evaluation.

Players can ride an individual hot streak and/or catch instant chemistry while other lines struggle to gain it.

Quinn Hughes remains the same in my eyes. High risk, high reward. He's got this dynamic skating and puck moving ability that no one else seems to have. He's like a budget patrick kane anchoring a rush. He's small as hell and has an unorthodox way of defending. The way he plays defense reminds me of Matt Bartkowski. Whether that will end up being effective at the NHL level is to be seen. But man oh man is he ever exciting when he is on his game. 

Totally curious... where's this comparison coming from?

7 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Totally curious... where's this comparison coming from?

I just think he plays a passive style. He lets people coast past him and chooses to survey. He doesn't really want to get in front of the play defensively. 

I don't think it's a big issue. If he is a slightly below average defensive player, while offering elite offensive talent, he is going to be a net positive.

The real questions for me lie on if the offensive skill translates. It's hard to call at this point. The pick was definitely worth the risk IMO. 

I should clarify - when I say "the way he plays defense reminds me of bartkowski", I'm strictly referring to the way he defends. That completely ignores every aspect of his offensive game. Bartkowski had no offensive talent. 

Edited by Tom Sestito
  • Upvote 1