The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Up.

boqvist, zadina, dobson, whalstrom, Barrett hayton, stock all went down,   

give me a redraft hughes go into the top 5.

like after the last 2 weeks do you clowns want someone else other then Hughes?  I refuse to believe that.  Don’t forget he’s still riding a poInt streak in his college season so far.

if you guys have the balls, tell me who you rather have at 7 if your given a chance at a redraft.

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

we are like our 5th year into the rebuild and no where being a contender while the first 2 teams you named are already contenders. Edmonton have two of the best players in the game but just cant win. So i dunno how you can say our rebuild is smoother, shorter or better... 

Calgary is a pretender not a contender. 

We are 2-1 against them this year and Calgary's only win came after we blew a lead with some crappy calls by the refs going against us. 

We played awful against TO and were still in it after 2 periods. 

That game would look a lot different with EP in and Quinn in over Pouliot. 

When it became 3-0, canucks abandoned their strategy and opened up the game which made it look a lot worse than it was. 

14 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Up.

like after the last 2 weeks do you clowns want someone else other then Hughes?  I refuse to believe that.  Don’t forget he’s still riding a poInt streak in his college season so far.

if you guys have the balls, tell me who you rather have at 7 if your given a chance at a redraft.

Lol wow... Aggressive much. Lay off the roids bro.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

we are like our 5th year into the rebuild and no where being a contender while the first 2 teams you named are already contenders. Edmonton have two of the best players in the game but just cant win. So i dunno how you can say our rebuild is smoother, shorter or better... 

really oilers are in yr 15 of rebuild had 6 first overals and suck mcdavid and draisatl are good but rest of team is trash notice they are no where near playiffs again this yr

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

You may be right about Juolevi but it sure wouldn't hurt him to get some games in the NHL and realize what he needs to work on. I also hope we can have Edler and tanev next year, but Id like to see an Edler sign and trade and if a good price is offered for Tanev then you may have to take it.

I'd only trade Edler if we know he's coming back honestly. He's earned the right to retire here and he's our best D. Can't have all our young guys coming up in a system with absolutely no one to show them the ropes. That's why I want tanev and Edler back for a few more years. 

I love guddy, Hutton and Stecher but they are not top 4 d-men, we need some top notch vets leading by example if we want to be an actual contender. That being said....if we can lure someone from free agency that can fill that role then that's an option too. 

Just my opinion, JB will make the right moves. Lots of faith in that fella.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Up.

Boqvist had double the points as Q. Hughes in two less games than Hughes’ five. Why then would you claim that his stock went down while Hughes’ went up after the tournament? How do you quantify your claim? Your feelz? 

I disagree with your opinion of those players’ stock, whatever, but still wonder on what you base your claims on? 

Want balls, call Sutter, but if I were to get a redo at the #7 pick, it wouldn’t be Mighty Mouse Hughes, it would be Bouchard, Dobson and then Wahlstrom and maybe even Boqvist, not Hughes. 

Why?

Because an NHL Dman has to defend against NHL forwards, not college kids. I don’t wish to bet against our best prospect, but size matters and playing defence matters even more, for a Dman. Hughes might be a Jonny Hockey with the puck, but he’s also like him without it, from what I saw. That’s not what I’d rebuild with, but I’m not a high risk/reward kind of guy. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

He played like he will have to when he plays in NHL. I thought he played great. 

I've been saying that in this thread before the WJC. But ppl think he's going to be the 4th forward.  No NHL coach will put up with that. 

Can't be a rover in the NHL like he plays in NCAA..  he will have some freedom..more than wjc but not much more. 

Edited by WHL rocks

38 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

He played like he will have to when he plays in NHL. I thought he played great. 

I've been saying that in this thread before the WJC. But ppl think he's going to be the 4th forward.  No NHL coach will put up with that. 

Can't be a rover in the NHL like he plays in NCAA..  he will have some freedom..more than wjc but not much more. 

If we had a winger like Burrows was in his prime, Hughes could have that kind of role - not unlike Karlsson, Burns, etc. Burrows was excellent at filling for D’s that pushed forward.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Premium position goes to......Jack Hughes is still #1. I do think it’s really close and Kakko may even end up the better player but Hughes plays the more important position.

There's no guarantee he's even a center at the NHL level. Especially given his best comparable is Patrick Kane. 

• Cheers 2

Given his age (remember this could be his one and only tourney) he’s come as advertised.  Both Crosby and McDavid were criticized a little as not being as good as other players two or three years older than them because of how touted they were coming in, and this is no different.    Now if this forum is talking about his older brother then maybe yes, a little underwhelming performance given some experts have been saying he would have been our best defenseman if he started the year in the Canucks lineup.

Edit:  As far as Kakko goes, Puljajarvi and OJ had great tournaments too, were drafted high and you know what happened there.  I’d take this with a grain of salt to a certain degree, Hughes has been projected to go first for years, he’s the better player, and Quin has been great so far in his second year playing mostly against young men.

Edited by IBatch

5 hours ago, Tom Sestito said:

It should be the same. The WJC is relatively meaningless for player evaluation.

Players can ride an individual hot streak and/or catch instant chemistry while other lines struggle to gain it.

Quinn Hughes remains the same in my eyes. High risk, high reward. He's got this dynamic skating and puck moving ability that no one else seems to have. He's like a budget patrick kane anchoring a rush. He's small as hell and has an unorthodox way of defending. The way he plays defense reminds me of Matt Bartkowski. Whether that will end up being effective at the NHL level is to be seen. But man oh man is he ever exciting when he is on his game. 

In my mind if his size just doesn’t cut it and he can’t make it work...get him working on face-offs, he’d make a killer two-way Center. 

3 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Why don’t they just trade the German and get on with it? 

You bet, Chia can get a “premium “ defenseman for him, like Hutton, and or trade him for a killer shut down Center like Sutter...get er done Benning (shades of the Hall trade).

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Boqvist had double the points as Q. Hughes in two less games than Hughes’ five. Why then would you claim that his stock went down while Hughes’ went up after the tournament? How do you quantify your claim? Your feelz? 

I disagree with your opinion of those players’ stock, whatever, but still wonder on what you base your claims on? 

Want balls, call Sutter, but if I were to get a redo at the #7 pick, it wouldn’t be Mighty Mouse Hughes, it would be Bouchard, Dobson and then Wahlstrom and maybe even Boqvist, not Hughes. 

Why?

Because an NHL Dman has to defend against NHL forwards, not college kids. I don’t wish to bet against our best prospect, but size matters and playing defence matters even more, for a Dman. Hughes might be a Jonny Hockey with the puck, but he’s also like him without it, from what I saw. That’s not what I’d rebuild with, but I’m not a high risk/reward kind of guy. 

Hold on, are you going by points at wjc as reference point right now? Simple yes no answer please.  

Fyi, I’m a fan that don’t use wjc stats as reference.  But are you a person that uses point totals at wjc to determine a stock of a prospect ?

btw is this thread about jack or Quinn? I’m confused now, lol

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

There's no guarantee he's even a center at the NHL level. Especially given his best comparable is Patrick Kane. 

Same thing was said about Pettersson. Sure there’s a chance he’s not a Center just like every Center prospect you draft. However I haven’t heard anything about him not being great at the position. 

17 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Same thing was said about Pettersson. Sure there’s a chance he’s not a Center just like every Center prospect you draft. However I haven’t heard anything about him not being great at the position. 

I remember hearing Bobby Mac or Button or somebody like that say something about him more likely being a winger. I can't find the quote so I don't have much legs to stand on here. Either way the difference between Kakko and Hughes isn't as big as people make it seem. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Why?

I agree I wanted Bouchard instead of Hughes and I would of taken Hague instead of Lind in the Draft before last years.

• Upvote 2