The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Ive learned to put almost 0 weight in a short sample tournament after watching guys like Hodgson, Schroeder and Juolevi tear it up in the WJC and then come back to reality in the NHL (please no Juoelvi debates: I know he can still make it ). Also remember watching Bo, Brock and EP not exactly blow up the tournament, but they are progressing at a high level in the NHL, I expect Q. Hughes will do the same.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, vannuck59 said:

I agree I wanted Bouchard instead of Hughes and I would of taken Hague instead of Lind in the Draft before last years.

Thats exactly what i wanted as well, mainly due to Bouchard being a RD. Our D could have been:

Juolevi - Bouchard

Hague - Woo

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Rantanen is a big boy. He's 6'4 225 lbs. Kakko is 6'1 180 lbs. He'll fill in and get to 200 lbs in few years but I don't see him becoming a Rantanen.

Rantanen was 6'4 209 lbs when he got drafted. 

J Hughes is a small guy tho.  For canucks kakko might be better option as we need some size in top 6. 

Kakko might be a better fit for us, but (in round 1) shouldn't we always choose the BPA, and (IMO) that guy is Jack Hughes for this draft.  

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I dunno, a Stanley Cup player would be pretty nice to have.

Three Stanley Cups for Kane.  Jack Hughes will be even better, when playing with better players.  Both Jack and Quinn were making great reads, but their teammates were not at the same level of thinking the game, so it appeared like Jack and Quinn were making bad plays.  At the NHL level those great plays are going to stand out.  Much like Petey stands out.  

I watched all the Victoria games live.  In particular i paid attention to the canuck picks (I am not scout but I played so im not completely arm chair).  Off topic a bit - but I was super impressed with Madden's play.
Now QHughes, he is as advertised, top notch offensive defenceman, with a cocky feel to him.  His turns, speed and passing is A+ at this level, yet to see how it translates in the bigs. His defence work was pretty good but he made some bad plays too, but that comes with ALL offensive D, even in the NHL.  He will be learning a lot from Tanev, his stick work and positioning primarily because he will not be out muscling people.
As noted above - he setup a lot of really good chances for his team mates that they were not able to capitalize on, so i got the sense that he will look better offensively with better players aka NHL players.

To me the biggest piece was this feeling that he hasnt reached his ceiling yet, hard to define exactly why (speed, turns, passing noted above).

He was also very electric with his brother, you can see the chemistry there (once again a high skilled player).

• Cheers 1

Just now, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Everybody mark page 225-230 of this thread so in a years time we can laugh at everybody’s negative commets based off of one tournament! 

And everyone who has realistic expectations mark those pages so when Quinn doesn't win a Norris in his first couple of years and all these crazy fan boys flip on him we can laugh!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

I don't know maybe in the copy cat league we should be looking at the JETS model ( Big, fast, skilled and mean) then the Lightning model (small fast and skilled ) which would go farther in the playoffs .

Honest question, have you seen reports or interviews saying this was the intention of the GM? Obviously size, skill, speed etc all play a roll in what players are signed traded for and picked BUT so does what players are available.  Because even if your value size over other aspects what if these players aren’t available to you?  You end up taking the smaller player.  We all know how hard and expensive it is to get any good player, regardless of what their entangibles are.  Also, what happens when you have a late pick like Point turn out to be a great player?  

I wonder how intentional it is, and think for the most part, teams do the best with what the have then fans and the media paint a bullseye around it.

A team may prefer something they can’t get. Maybe Tampa would love larger players!  But they’re stuck with what they have.

Edited by gttxc
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Kakko might be a better fit for us, but (in round 1) shouldn't we always choose the BPA, and (IMO) that guy is Jack Hughes for this draft.  

Yes. I'm not sure we know who the bpa is going to be at end of year.  Most ppl say Jack Hughes but a lot can change between now and the draft. 

Also a team might want jack Hughes and if Benning wants kakko (or vice versa) he can trade down a spot and pick up another piece.

• Like 1

Back to Hughes.  

I think he'll be fine. I don't think ppl should expect him to be another EP right off the bat tho.   He'll be a 3rd pairing guy with  lots of PP time next season  

Edited by WHL rocks

8 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

I agree I wanted Bouchard instead of Hughes and I would of taken Hague instead of Lind in the Draft before last years.

Me too.  He fell to ten and EDM didn’t even have a sweater with his name on it just in case because everybody thought he’d go anywhere from 3-7.  He’s everything you want in a number one, he kills penalties (will Hughes do this?) he plays 30 plus minutes a game (who does that as a teenager?) he has a monster shot (Hughes doesn’t have a one-timer that you really want from your number one guy), he’s got size and is strong as an ox (tenth in pull-ups at the combine, at 215lbs, that’s a strong guy, usually the small light guys do this, we don’t know how well Hughes could go because he didn’t do the combine) so he can move guys away from the front of the net or pin them to the boards behind it etc..his pass was considered the best in the draft class and he can run a dynamite PP, his apparent lack of speed wasn’t noticeable during his try out in EDM (his backwards skating was considered better than Dobson’s) ... ALL those things are important components in being a number one guy.  Hughes makes up for some of his lack of size with competitiveness and speed, but that won’t move a Getzlaf or Wheeler or Laine or Mathews away from the net..and it’s concerning that injuries are much more probable too, personally I find injury prone players tiresome even the good ones. 

This was a high risk high reward pick, after all the hype with those two brothers  before the tournament both in print and TV media, it was underwhelming at the best, not so good after all at the worst.  You can forgive Jack a little given his age, he was obviously eager and pushed the play when he was on the ice and had lots of chances,  Quin didn’t do much though.  I’ve pumped him up quite a bit but have also said he wasn’t my choice.  

I think that Bennings future might hinge on this player panning out, if he doesn’t and follows OJs path we are screwed, two high picks out of three not becoming blue chippers is very bad drafting, even if EP is destined for greatness. 

PS.!! Best case Phil Housley, he was also 5’9 (not sure he’s even that, the top of his head barely passed Bouchard’s shoulder when they all lined up to meet Cherry), that’s amazing, worst case...well  I think we all know what that is but don’t want to say it.  Very high reward, but also a pretty risky pick.  Dobson and Bouchard were the safe ones IMO, hope Benning and Hughes alleviate my concerns when he finally plays (maybe this Spring)...

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Those realistic expectations for Pettersson look hilarious today 

Same with Boeser.  If he scored 20 goals I would have been very happy.  Thing is now maybe we’ve been a little spoiled, and some fans have posted Quin is the next Orr and expect him to win Norris trophies soon after he plays.   Better than Dahlin, best pick in the draft etc.  Been around long enough to see more than a few highly touted prospects amount to nothing, even when they are given way more chances than regular picks do.   I’m still a believer it was only one tournament and I also believe that too much stock is taken from this (see Puljajarvi and even OJ)...also believe Jack should be the number one pick based on his body of work.

• Upvote 1