The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Just heard Ray Ferraro pump the breaks on the “generational” Quinn Hughes talk. That would be my approach as well.

I think there is a very good chance he will be very, very good. Even a chance he might step close to the “elite” echelon. But some are talking like it’s a done deal. His shot is a problem. His defending isn’t convincing against his peers. What happens next year in the NHL? Or...AHL. ;)

I still haven’t heard any explanation as to why his skating didn’t really wow in the tourney. It was good. But I’ve seen it several levels above “good” before.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Just heard Ray Ferraro pump the breaks on the “generational” Quinn Hughes talk. That would be my approach as well.

I think there is a very good chance he will be very, very good. Even a chance he might step close to the “elite” echelon. But some are talking like it’s a done deal. His shot is a problem. His defending isn’t convincing against his peers. What happens next year in the NHL? Or...AHL. ;)

I still haven’t heard any explanation as to why his skating didn’t really wow in the tourney. It was good. But I’ve seen it several levels above “good” before.

Nice try, cave dweller.   :P  Some said the same foolishness about Petersson after last year’s WJHC.  Quinn Hughes will show very quickly he is not only the best player in his draft (by far) but also that he is a unique player.  Petersson and Hughes will us to 3 Cups in the 2020’s.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Nice try, cave dweller.   :P  Some said the same foolishness about Petersson after last year’s WJHC.  Quinn Hughes will show very quickly he is not only the best player in his draft (by far) but also that he is a unique player.  Petersson and Hughes will us to 3 Cups in the 2020’s.  

Love your optimism.  Pettersson has proved he’s a very special player, if Hughes can do the same for our defense than I like our chances.  

If for some reason he struggles like the guy your replying to suggests, than they could always switch him back to playing forward and then again I like out chances, Hughes, Pettersson, Boeser would make a pretty elite line.  

His size is the only thing that I find worrisome, he’s managing fine against young men so maybe it’s not really too big of a deal.   

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I totally disagree 

i say Ep40 and Hughes will get us four cups in the 2020s.

remember page 231 of this thread after the forth cup. Cuz I predicted it.

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Cave dweller, huh?

So the Canucks were considering bringing Quin Hughes up after the WJC but it got kiboshed according to Elliot Freidman.  WTF?  Could they even do that lol?  Seems odd. 

I got that from todays Province under the Prospect Profiles.

Edit: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-considered-asking-quinn-hughes-join-season/

Blessed with dynamic young talent in Elias Pettersson and Brock Boeser, the Vancouver Canucks could’ve also had a blue-chipper on their blue line as well this season.

With his University of Michigan team not doing so hot, Canucks management entertained the idea of calling Quinn Hughes, the seventh-overall pick in the 2018 draft, up to the show.

“There was some internal discussion by the Vancouver Canucks, with his team – Michigan – having a very rough season in the NCAA, ‘Do we ask him if, after the world juniors, does he want to join the Canucks now and turn pro,’” said Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman during the Headlines segment of Hockey Night in Canada Saturday.

“They had the discussion internally, they decided not to do it, they said they made a deal and that was they’d talk to him after the season. So even though they discussed it they decided not to approach the player and tempt him in anyway.”

Hughes’ Wolverines sport a 7-7-6 record, but he’s been very productive so far, tallying 20 points and 17 assists in 17 games so far this season.

But while the future of Vancouver’s defence corps won’t be with the team until next season at the earliest, the present of the Canucks blue line looks like it could stick around a little longer.

The Canucks are expected to beging negotiations with unrestricted-free-agent-to-be Alexander Edler on a contract extension.

“We can expect in the next couple of weeks the Canucks to start talking about a contract extension for Alex Edler,” Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos said. “Now, of course, Edler’s made it real clear he’s got a complete no-trade [clause] and even if the Canucks weren’t interested in signing him at the end of the season, he still doesn’t want to get traded, but the good news now is he’s probably playing his best hockey of his last few years and they will sit down and start discussing what it would take to get him on a deal.

“He’s already on $5 million per season and there’s a chance he actually could improve that on an AAV, but I think that it would have to be on a short-term deal.”

Currently in his 13th NHL season, all with Vancouver, Edler leads all Canucks defencemen this season with 19 points and 15 assists.

Edited by Tre Mac

Reading the posts here since the draft I was hoping for Phil Housely. After finally watching Quinn a bit at the WJC  I have to say I have him pegged as a bust. But watching Hughes during desperate times in the game when the US was down gives me some hope.  He can turn it up. A boom or bust pick. He needs to play his own game.  Odds are not good of this being allowed or successfully integrated into an NHL team. 

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

So the Canucks were considering bringing Quin Hughes up after the WJC but it got kiboshed according to Elliot Freidman.  WTF?  Could they even do that lol?  Seems odd. 

I got that from todays Province under the Prospect Profiles.

Edit: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-considered-asking-quinn-hughes-join-season/

It would be really odd for Hughes to go pro now. He’d have to choose to bail on his teammates mid-season at Michigan, and I really doubt he’s the type to do that.

It’s true that Michigan has struggled this season, at least compared to expectations, and in terms of their W/L record, but they have also been pretty unlucky. Their goalies couldn’t make saves early into the season, and the team as a whole needed to tighten up their defensive structure. The forwards have also struggled mightily to convert on numerous scoring chances. But underneath all that, they have actually dominated most of their games on the shot clock and posted some strong underlying numbers. So they probably deserve a few more wins than they have. And those things tend to even out over a season.

They’re not even half way through their season. And in conference play, Michigan is only 1 point out of second in the Big Ten (and IIRC 5 points out of first place in their conference). They still have, I believe, 14 games left to play, most of them within the conference, before this season is done (including four games versus conference leaders Ohio State).

So they’re far from being out of contention. A strong run of play to close out the season, and maybe winning 3 of the 4 games against Ohio State, and the Michigan Wolverines could easily find themselves atop the Big Ten, and back among the leaders in the national rankings.

And even if they don’t make up any ground in the standings and rankings, they’ll still play in the Big Ten tournament, and if they win there, they move on the the NCAA national tournament.

I can’t see Quinn Hughes deciding to pull the plug now on his college career. Michigan is far from eliminated, and actually has several possible paths available to them to the Frozen Four.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, lesterz said:

Reading the posts here since the draft I was hoping for Phil Housely. After finally watching Quinn a bit at the WJC  I have to say I have him pegged as a bust. But watching Hughes during desperate times in the game when the US was down gives me some hope.  He can turn it up. A boom or bust pick. He needs to play his own game.  Odds are not good of this being allowed or successfully integrated into an NHL team. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It would be really odd for Hughes to go pro now. He’d have to choose to bail on his teammates mid-season at Michigan, and I really doubt he’s the type to do that.

It’s true that Michigan has struggled this season, at least compared to expectations, and in terms of their W/L record, but they have also been pretty unlucky. Their goalies couldn’t make saves early into the season, and the team as a whole needed to tighten up their defensive structure. The forwards have also struggled mightily to convert on numerous scoring chances. But underneath all that, they have actually dominated most of their games on the shot clock and posted some strong underlying numbers. So they probably deserve a few more wins than they have. And those things tend to even out over a season.

They’re not even half way through their season. And in conference play, Michigan is only 1 point out of second in the Big Ten (and IIRC 5 points out of first place in their conference). They still have, I believe, 14 games left to play, most of them within the conference, before this season is done (including four games versus conference leaders Ohio State).

So they’re far from being out of contention. A strong run of play to close out the season, and maybe winning 3 of the 4 games against Ohio State, and the Michigan Wolverines could easily find themselves atop the Big Ten, and back among the leaders in the national rankings.

And even if they don’t make up any ground in the standings and rankings, they’ll still play in the Big Ten tournament, and if they win there, they move on the the NCAA national tournament.

I can’t see Quinn Hughes deciding to pull the plug now on his college career. Michigan is far from eliminated, and actually has several possible paths available to them to the Frozen Four.

Plus we need Hughes available for the Calder next year!

1 hour ago, lesterz said:

I dont think you understand how Green wants to play. He want's to have an uptempo transition game with Dman joining the rush as much as possible, similar to Vegas' style. He's been saying it in interviews throughout the year. Problem is he doesn't have the personnel to do it. The closest is Pouliot even with all his deficiencies which is why he plays him so much after so much bad defensive plays.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, lesterz said:

This post is a joke right? There's no way someone can actually think like this. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pepe Silvia said:

you and I (and real Canuck's fans) know Quinn will be a super duper star.  There are posters here, who are do live under bridges though.  :lol:

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Pepe Silvia said:

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

you and I (and real Canuck's fans) know Quinn will be a super duper star.  There are posters here, who are do live under bridges though.  :lol:

lol. Not at all. Completely serious. Someone else posted similar thoughts. I will have to go back and give them a nice juicy.............like.

Hughes plays weird. If a rover position is something that can work in the nhl then it looks good for him. I was right about Joulevi and hopefully I wont be right again. Benning needs to stick to drafting forwards it seems.

Again though, during desperation time, I saw the star potential.

Edited by lesterz

9 minutes ago, lesterz said:

lol. Not at all. Completely serious. Someone else posted similar thoughts. I will have to go back and give them a nice juicy.............like.

Hughes plays weird. If a rover position is something that can work in the nhl then it looks good for him. I was right about Joulevi and hopefully I wont be right again. Benning needs to stick to drafting forwards it seems.

I think the bolded sums you up !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lesterz said:

Some said similar things about Harvey, Orr, Coffee, and Howsley.  Uniquely talented players stand out.  Quinn Hughes stands out.  His skating, vision, and processing are so far ahead of others, he looks to be a rover.  Quinn and Petey are going to be a fabulously dynamic duo for us.  

• Upvote 1