Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

8 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

If we had a winger like Burrows was in his prime, Hughes could have that kind of role - not unlike Karlsson, Burns, etc. Burrows was excellent at filling for D’s that pushed forward.

What?

Everybody mark page 225-230 of this thread so in a years time we can laugh at everybody’s negative commets based off of one tournament! 

Just now, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Everybody mark page 225-230 of this thread so in a years time we can laugh at everybody’s negative commets based off of one tournament! 

And everyone who has realistic expectations mark those pages so when Quinn doesn't win a Norris in his first couple of years and all these crazy fan boys flip on him we can laugh!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

And everyone who has realistic expectations mark those pages so when Quinn doesn't win a Norris in his first couple of years and all these crazy fan boys flip on him we can laugh!

Those realistic expectations for Pettersson look hilarious today 

• Upvote 3

I don't know maybe in the copy cat league we should be looking at the JETS model ( Big, fast, skilled and mean) then the Lightning model (small fast and skilled ) which would go farther in the playoffs .

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

I don't know maybe in the copy cat league we should be looking at the JETS model ( Big, fast, skilled and mean) then the Lightning model (small fast and skilled ) which would go farther in the playoffs .

Honest question, have you seen reports or interviews saying this was the intention of the GM? Obviously size, skill, speed etc all play a roll in what players are signed traded for and picked BUT so does what players are available.  Because even if your value size over other aspects what if these players aren’t available to you?  You end up taking the smaller player.  We all know how hard and expensive it is to get any good player, regardless of what their entangibles are.  Also, what happens when you have a late pick like Point turn out to be a great player?  

I wonder how intentional it is, and think for the most part, teams do the best with what the have then fans and the media paint a bullseye around it.

A team may prefer something they can’t get. Maybe Tampa would love larger players!  But they’re stuck with what they have.

Edited by gttxc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Maketherightmove said:

What?

Clearly, you never watched Burrows fill for a defenceman who was up on the rush?

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Kakko might be a better fit for us, but (in round 1) shouldn't we always choose the BPA, and (IMO) that guy is Jack Hughes for this draft.  

Yes. I'm not sure we know who the bpa is going to be at end of year.  Most ppl say Jack Hughes but a lot can change between now and the draft. 

Also a team might want jack Hughes and if Benning wants kakko (or vice versa) he can trade down a spot and pick up another piece.

• Like 1

Back to Hughes.  

I think he'll be fine. I don't think ppl should expect him to be another EP right off the bat tho.   He'll be a 3rd pairing guy with  lots of PP time next season  

Edited by WHL rocks

8 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

I agree I wanted Bouchard instead of Hughes and I would of taken Hague instead of Lind in the Draft before last years.

Me too.  He fell to ten and EDM didn’t even have a sweater with his name on it just in case because everybody thought he’d go anywhere from 3-7.  He’s everything you want in a number one, he kills penalties (will Hughes do this?) he plays 30 plus minutes a game (who does that as a teenager?) he has a monster shot (Hughes doesn’t have a one-timer that you really want from your number one guy), he’s got size and is strong as an ox (tenth in pull-ups at the combine, at 215lbs, that’s a strong guy, usually the small light guys do this, we don’t know how well Hughes could go because he didn’t do the combine) so he can move guys away from the front of the net or pin them to the boards behind it etc..his pass was considered the best in the draft class and he can run a dynamite PP, his apparent lack of speed wasn’t noticeable during his try out in EDM (his backwards skating was considered better than Dobson’s) ... ALL those things are important components in being a number one guy.  Hughes makes up for some of his lack of size with competitiveness and speed, but that won’t move a Getzlaf or Wheeler or Laine or Mathews away from the net..and it’s concerning that injuries are much more probable too, personally I find injury prone players tiresome even the good ones. 

This was a high risk high reward pick, after all the hype with those two brothers  before the tournament both in print and TV media, it was underwhelming at the best, not so good after all at the worst.  You can forgive Jack a little given his age, he was obviously eager and pushed the play when he was on the ice and had lots of chances,  Quin didn’t do much though.  I’ve pumped him up quite a bit but have also said he wasn’t my choice.  

I think that Bennings future might hinge on this player panning out, if he doesn’t and follows OJs path we are screwed, two high picks out of three not becoming blue chippers is very bad drafting, even if EP is destined for greatness. 

PS.!! Best case Phil Housley, he was also 5’9 (not sure he’s even that, the top of his head barely passed Bouchard’s shoulder when they all lined up to meet Cherry), that’s amazing, worst case...well  I think we all know what that is but don’t want to say it.  Very high reward, but also a pretty risky pick.  Dobson and Bouchard were the safe ones IMO, hope Benning and Hughes alleviate my concerns when he finally plays (maybe this Spring)...

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Those realistic expectations for Pettersson look hilarious today 

Same with Boeser.  If he scored 20 goals I would have been very happy.  Thing is now maybe we’ve been a little spoiled, and some fans have posted Quin is the next Orr and expect him to win Norris trophies soon after he plays.   Better than Dahlin, best pick in the draft etc.  Been around long enough to see more than a few highly touted prospects amount to nothing, even when they are given way more chances than regular picks do.   I’m still a believer it was only one tournament and I also believe that too much stock is taken from this (see Puljajarvi and even OJ)...also believe Jack should be the number one pick based on his body of work.

• Upvote 1

Just heard Ray Ferraro pump the breaks on the “generational” Quinn Hughes talk. That would be my approach as well.

I think there is a very good chance he will be very, very good. Even a chance he might step close to the “elite” echelon. But some are talking like it’s a done deal. His shot is a problem. His defending isn’t convincing against his peers. What happens next year in the NHL? Or...AHL. ;)

I still haven’t heard any explanation as to why his skating didn’t really wow in the tourney. It was good. But I’ve seen it several levels above “good” before.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Just heard Ray Ferraro pump the breaks on the “generational” Quinn Hughes talk. That would be my approach as well.

I think there is a very good chance he will be very, very good. Even a chance he might step close to the “elite” echelon. But some are talking like it’s a done deal. His shot is a problem. His defending isn’t convincing against his peers. What happens next year in the NHL? Or...AHL. ;)

I still haven’t heard any explanation as to why his skating didn’t really wow in the tourney. It was good. But I’ve seen it several levels above “good” before.

Nice try, cave dweller.   :P  Some said the same foolishness about Petersson after last year’s WJHC.  Quinn Hughes will show very quickly he is not only the best player in his draft (by far) but also that he is a unique player.  Petersson and Hughes will us to 3 Cups in the 2020’s.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Nice try, cave dweller.   :P  Some said the same foolishness about Petersson after last year’s WJHC.  Quinn Hughes will show very quickly he is not only the best player in his draft (by far) but also that he is a unique player.  Petersson and Hughes will us to 3 Cups in the 2020’s.  

Love your optimism.  Pettersson has proved he’s a very special player, if Hughes can do the same for our defense than I like our chances.  

If for some reason he struggles like the guy your replying to suggests, than they could always switch him back to playing forward and then again I like out chances, Hughes, Pettersson, Boeser would make a pretty elite line.  

His size is the only thing that I find worrisome, he’s managing fine against young men so maybe it’s not really too big of a deal.   

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I totally disagree 

i say Ep40 and Hughes will get us four cups in the 2020s.

remember page 231 of this thread after the forth cup. Cuz I predicted it.

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Cave dweller, huh?

So the Canucks were considering bringing Quin Hughes up after the WJC but it got kiboshed according to Elliot Freidman.  WTF?  Could they even do that lol?  Seems odd. 

I got that from todays Province under the Prospect Profiles.

Edit: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-considered-asking-quinn-hughes-join-season/

Blessed with dynamic young talent in Elias Pettersson and Brock Boeser, the Vancouver Canucks could’ve also had a blue-chipper on their blue line as well this season.

With his University of Michigan team not doing so hot, Canucks management entertained the idea of calling Quinn Hughes, the seventh-overall pick in the 2018 draft, up to the show.

“There was some internal discussion by the Vancouver Canucks, with his team – Michigan – having a very rough season in the NCAA, ‘Do we ask him if, after the world juniors, does he want to join the Canucks now and turn pro,’” said Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman during the Headlines segment of Hockey Night in Canada Saturday.

“They had the discussion internally, they decided not to do it, they said they made a deal and that was they’d talk to him after the season. So even though they discussed it they decided not to approach the player and tempt him in anyway.”

Hughes’ Wolverines sport a 7-7-6 record, but he’s been very productive so far, tallying 20 points and 17 assists in 17 games so far this season.

But while the future of Vancouver’s defence corps won’t be with the team until next season at the earliest, the present of the Canucks blue line looks like it could stick around a little longer.

The Canucks are expected to beging negotiations with unrestricted-free-agent-to-be Alexander Edler on a contract extension.

“We can expect in the next couple of weeks the Canucks to start talking about a contract extension for Alex Edler,” Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos said. “Now, of course, Edler’s made it real clear he’s got a complete no-trade [clause] and even if the Canucks weren’t interested in signing him at the end of the season, he still doesn’t want to get traded, but the good news now is he’s probably playing his best hockey of his last few years and they will sit down and start discussing what it would take to get him on a deal.

“He’s already on $5 million per season and there’s a chance he actually could improve that on an AAV, but I think that it would have to be on a short-term deal.”

Currently in his 13th NHL season, all with Vancouver, Edler leads all Canucks defencemen this season with 19 points and 15 assists.

Edited by Tre Mac

Reading the posts here since the draft I was hoping for Phil Housely. After finally watching Quinn a bit at the WJC  I have to say I have him pegged as a bust. But watching Hughes during desperate times in the game when the US was down gives me some hope.  He can turn it up. A boom or bust pick. He needs to play his own game.  Odds are not good of this being allowed or successfully integrated into an NHL team. 

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

So the Canucks were considering bringing Quin Hughes up after the WJC but it got kiboshed according to Elliot Freidman.  WTF?  Could they even do that lol?  Seems odd. 

I got that from todays Province under the Prospect Profiles.

Edit: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-considered-asking-quinn-hughes-join-season/

It would be really odd for Hughes to go pro now. He’d have to choose to bail on his teammates mid-season at Michigan, and I really doubt he’s the type to do that.

It’s true that Michigan has struggled this season, at least compared to expectations, and in terms of their W/L record, but they have also been pretty unlucky. Their goalies couldn’t make saves early into the season, and the team as a whole needed to tighten up their defensive structure. The forwards have also struggled mightily to convert on numerous scoring chances. But underneath all that, they have actually dominated most of their games on the shot clock and posted some strong underlying numbers. So they probably deserve a few more wins than they have. And those things tend to even out over a season.

They’re not even half way through their season. And in conference play, Michigan is only 1 point out of second in the Big Ten (and IIRC 5 points out of first place in their conference). They still have, I believe, 14 games left to play, most of them within the conference, before this season is done (including four games versus conference leaders Ohio State).

So they’re far from being out of contention. A strong run of play to close out the season, and maybe winning 3 of the 4 games against Ohio State, and the Michigan Wolverines could easily find themselves atop the Big Ten, and back among the leaders in the national rankings.

And even if they don’t make up any ground in the standings and rankings, they’ll still play in the Big Ten tournament, and if they win there, they move on the the NCAA national tournament.

I can’t see Quinn Hughes deciding to pull the plug now on his college career. Michigan is far from eliminated, and actually has several possible paths available to them to the Frozen Four.

• Upvote 2