Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

11 minutes ago, lesterz said:

Reading the posts here since the draft I was hoping for Phil Housely. After finally watching Quinn a bit at the WJC  I have to say I have him pegged as a bust. But watching Hughes during desperate times in the game when the US was down gives me some hope.  He can turn it up. A boom or bust pick. He needs to play his own game.  Odds are not good of this being allowed or successfully integrated into an NHL team. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It would be really odd for Hughes to go pro now. He’d have to choose to bail on his teammates mid-season at Michigan, and I really doubt he’s the type to do that.

It’s true that Michigan has struggled this season, at least compared to expectations, and in terms of their W/L record, but they have also been pretty unlucky. Their goalies couldn’t make saves early into the season, and the team as a whole needed to tighten up their defensive structure. The forwards have also struggled mightily to convert on numerous scoring chances. But underneath all that, they have actually dominated most of their games on the shot clock and posted some strong underlying numbers. So they probably deserve a few more wins than they have. And those things tend to even out over a season.

They’re not even half way through their season. And in conference play, Michigan is only 1 point out of second in the Big Ten (and IIRC 5 points out of first place in their conference). They still have, I believe, 14 games left to play, most of them within the conference, before this season is done (including four games versus conference leaders Ohio State).

So they’re far from being out of contention. A strong run of play to close out the season, and maybe winning 3 of the 4 games against Ohio State, and the Michigan Wolverines could easily find themselves atop the Big Ten, and back among the leaders in the national rankings.

And even if they don’t make up any ground in the standings and rankings, they’ll still play in the Big Ten tournament, and if they win there, they move on the the NCAA national tournament.

I can’t see Quinn Hughes deciding to pull the plug now on his college career. Michigan is far from eliminated, and actually has several possible paths available to them to the Frozen Four.

Plus we need Hughes available for the Calder next year!

1 hour ago, lesterz said:

Reading the posts here since the draft I was hoping for Phil Housely. After finally watching Quinn a bit at the WJC  I have to say I have him pegged as a bust. But watching Hughes during desperate times in the game when the US was down gives me some hope.  He can turn it up. A boom or bust pick. He needs to play his own game.  Odds are not good of this being allowed or successfully integrated into an NHL team. 

I dont think you understand how Green wants to play. He want's to have an uptempo transition game with Dman joining the rush as much as possible, similar to Vegas' style. He's been saying it in interviews throughout the year. Problem is he doesn't have the personnel to do it. The closest is Pouliot even with all his deficiencies which is why he plays him so much after so much bad defensive plays.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, lesterz said:

This post is a joke right? There's no way someone can actually think like this. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pepe Silvia said:

you and I (and real Canuck's fans) know Quinn will be a super duper star.  There are posters here, who are do live under bridges though.  :lol:

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Pepe Silvia said:

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

you and I (and real Canuck's fans) know Quinn will be a super duper star.  There are posters here, who are do live under bridges though.  :lol:

lol. Not at all. Completely serious. Someone else posted similar thoughts. I will have to go back and give them a nice juicy.............like.

Hughes plays weird. If a rover position is something that can work in the nhl then it looks good for him. I was right about Joulevi and hopefully I wont be right again. Benning needs to stick to drafting forwards it seems.

Again though, during desperation time, I saw the star potential.

Edited by lesterz

9 minutes ago, lesterz said:

lol. Not at all. Completely serious. Someone else posted similar thoughts. I will have to go back and give them a nice juicy.............like.

Hughes plays weird. If a rover position is something that can work in the nhl then it looks good for him. I was right about Joulevi and hopefully I wont be right again. Benning needs to stick to drafting forwards it seems.

I think the bolded sums you up !

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

I think the bolded sums you up !

OK. Maybe Juolevi can beat the odds. Can't totally write him off yet.

Edited by lesterz
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Why on earth would you write off a 20 YO defenseman who has excelled at every level he has played at?

My guess is, to that poster 20 seems very old.

• Hydration 1

Some said similar things about Harvey, Orr, Coffee, and Howsley.  Uniquely talented players stand out.  Quinn Hughes stands out.  His skating, vision, and processing are so far ahead of others, he looks to be a rover.  Quinn and Petey are going to be a fabulously dynamic duo for us.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Why on earth would you write off a 20 YO defenseman who has excelled at every level he has played at?

I know the kid is only 20, but he got injured - twice!  No players, who get injured under 20, ever amount to anything!  The sky is falling!  ahhhhhhh.  :lol:

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I know the kid is only 20, but he got injured - twice!  No players, who get injured under 20, ever amount to anything!  The sky is falling!  ahhhhhhh.  :lol:

2 knee surgeries and back surgery before ever stepping on the ice in the NHL can be reason enough to be concerned. 

I still have hope that he can turn into a serviceable dman for the Canucks, but those 3 injuries so early into his career have diminished the high hopes I had earlier. Age isn't a concern here, the types of injuries hes had so far are. 

What do you mean when you say you were right about Juolevi? Please explain. You seem to have a strong negative opinion about our defensive prospects, I think we would like to know how you drew your conclusions. What about Quinn's play do you see not translatable to the NHL? If you're talking about 2019 WJC many here will agree that he was not asked to do much more than play a simplified game that focused on zone entries/exits. If you watch him in College hockey he plays a much looser, rover-type style and the points speak for themselves as to how effective he is there. I think essentially we are almost all in agreement (If you actually watch Quinn play) that he can skate at an elite level, think Hockey at an elite level and most importantly, adapt a playstyle that incorporates all of his tools to be as effective as he can at any level, against any competition. That is a sign of maturity to me and a very good indication of a high end talent for many years to come.

It always amazes me that people still respond so easily to a poster that has a bunch of signs all screaming ‘troll’ right in your face.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Kushman said:

2 knee surgeries and back surgery before ever stepping on the ice in the NHL can be reason enough to be concerned. 

I still have hope that he can turn into a serviceable dman for the Canucks, but those 3 injuries so early into his career have diminished the high hopes I had earlier. Age isn't a concern here, the types of injuries hes had so far are. 

"Many players go through injuries, it’s what happens when you play a contact sport. Just ask Sidney Crosby, Victor Hedman, Patrice Bergeron or pretty much any player who has had a couple of injuries during their careers. Even Connor McDavid missed three months from a broken collarbone because of an unfortunate collision."

https://tipofthetower.com/2018/10/29/toronto-maple-leafs-auston-matthews-not-injury-prone/

Players get injuries, especially if they play (and train) the right way.  Orr had 12 knee surgeries.  How many did Bure have?  It's part of the game.  OJ will be in our lineup next season, and will be playing top four minutes by Christmas 2019.  

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Some said similar things about Harvey, Orr, Coffee, and Howsley.  Uniquely talented players stand out.  Quinn Hughes stands out.  His skating, vision, and processing are so far ahead of others, he looks to be a rover.  Quinn and Petey are going to be a fabulously dynamic duo for us.  

Source please. 

30 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

It always amazes me that people still respond so easily to a poster that has a bunch of signs all screaming ‘troll’ right in your face.

Just goes to prove there is a sucker born every minute....Oh ... bye the way... I have some fabulous ocean front property for sale in Arizona and it can be your for only $100,000.lol

25 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Source please. 

Here is one.  You can easily find others::D

https://archive.macleans.ca/article/1958/2/15/how-doug-harvey-loafed-his-way-to-fame

"How Doug Harvey loafed his way to fame

For years fans and critics lambasted this Canadien defenseman for laziness. But, without straining a muscle, he dawdled his way onto six all-star teams and into one of hockey’s top salaries"

These exceptionally gifted D men, are often said to be not playing properly, or criticized for other reasons.  It's because they see the game differently.  That's what will make Quinn Hughes the best player chosen in his draft by a lot.  He sees the game on a level others don't.  He's just like Elias that way.  We are very lucky there were six teams who passed over the next Harvey, Orr, Coffey etc.  

Edited by Alflives