The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:03 PM, peaches5 said:

Quinn was always a high-risk high-reward draft pick. He fell to us in the draft because of his size like Pettersson. I'd rather take the risk and draft Pettersson or Hughes then take the safe pick and end up with an NHL plug. Plenty of those in the later rounds.

Good article in the Province over the weekend, about how the league is trending towards smaller, faster players, as opposed to giant players who don't have much speed. This bodes very well for the Canucks, as Benning has been targeting feisty, fast players regardless of their size (Pettersson, Hughes, Rathbone, Madden, Palmu, Manukyan), Motte has been a very pleasant surprise this year, and DiPietro (a smaller goalie) is turning heads in his league with his athleticism.     

I think some people are underrating the impact he’s going to have on this team, whether he’s good enough defensively or not yet. You can’t hook or hold anymore, his skating is going to give everyone fits. Him and Petey on the ice together = nightmare for the opposition. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TU90 said:

EP and Boeser are watching this with huge smiles on their faces.

Yep... I didn't get to watch much USA games at the world juniors and that highlight package was great though, Quinn could have easily had a few goals and more points.

His skating is so effortless, unreal

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Yep... I didn't get to watch much USA games at the world juniors and that highlight package was great though, Quinn could have easily had a few goals and more points.

Noticed Quinn and Madden played well together.  It's like Madden has the hockey IQ to get the right spots, when Quin has the puck.  

59 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

If Hughes can work on his shot and therefore finishing ability, we could have a generational offensive talent on our hands.

Nope.  

Please define ‘generational’ for me.   

To me, generational means a talent that only comes once in a generation.  

So are you saying Hughes will be a better player than McDavid? Crosby? 

37 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

not just a few, I counted at least 7 should have been sure goals that either just missed or were saved. Points didn't do him justice this tournament, aside from the game against the Russians, he absolutely dominated

53 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Nope.  

Quinn Hughes will change the way the game is played.  All teams will be looking for the next Quinn Hughes.  A player, who for the most part is a rover, but (when called upon) can play defensively too.  Quinn will join the rush, create space (for himself and teammates) while making for out numbered opportunities.  By this time next season, all six teams that picked ahead of JB in Quinn's draft will be wondering how foolish they could have been to pass over this game changing player.  

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Quinn Hughes will change the way the game is played.  All teams will be looking for the next Quinn Hughes.  A player, who for the most part is a rover, but (when called upon) can play defensively too.  Quinn will join the rush, create space (for himself and teammates) while making for out numbered opportunities.  By this time next season, all six teams that picked ahead of JB in Quinn's draft will be wondering how foolish they could have been to pass over this game changing player.  

That guy exists, his name is Brent Burns.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

That guy exists, his name is Brent Burns.

I love how Burns plays, but he can't even come close to how Quinn skates with (and without) the puck.  EK is pretty close, but doesn't have Quinn's puck skills, or quickness.  Quinn is unique.    

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Nope.  

Of purely offensive defensemen, potentially.

His skating, passing and vision are elite while his shot could be improved.

His decision making will also improve as he matures.

And McDavid needs to show far more to be considered generational just yet.

• Wat 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I love how Burns plays, but he can't even come close to how Quinn skates with (and without) the puck.  EK is pretty close, but doesn't have Quinn's puck skills, or quickness.  Quinn is unique.    

Unique is a stretch. There are players that do what he does, he may be better than them eventually but that's not even certain. You severely underrate Karlsson. A guy that has been in the league for almost 10 years and his point per game numbers are pretty insane for a d-man. I get we all like our kids, but your assessment of Hughes is beyond homerism and you may end up just disappointing yourself. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Unique is a stretch. There are players that do what he does, he may be better than them eventually but that's not even certain. You severely underrate Karlsson. A guy that has been in the league for almost 10 years and his point per game numbers are pretty insane for a d-man. I get we all like our kids, but your assessment of Hughes is beyond homerism and you may end up just disappointing yourself. 

Some people argued against Harvey and Orr too.  We are winning three Cups in the coming decade.  

3 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Of purely offensive defensemen, potentially.

His skating, passing and vision are elite while his shot could be improved.

His decision making will also improve as he matures.

And McDavid needs to show far more to be considered generational just yet.

Lol   

So McDavid isn’t generational yet, but this tiny defenceman who can’t play D, has no shot, and wanders the ice out of position is?    

Ok

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, drummerboy said:

Lol   

So McDavid isn’t generational yet, but this tiny defenceman who can’t play D, has no shot, and wanders the ice out of position is?    

Ok

McDavid is a generational offensively gifted talent, but he will not change the way the game is played. 

Quinn Hughes is a uniquely gifted player, who will change how teams play.  

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

We are all well aware of your dreams and delusions Alf. 

First off, he isn’t the first one to do what he is doing.   

Like someone said above, Brent Burns is basically a river too, except he can play great defense as well.   He also has a huge shot, and can hit like a truck.  

Personally, I take a Burns over Hughes any day of the week.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drummerboy said:

We are all well aware of your dreams and delusions Alf. 

First off, he isn’t the first one to do what he is doing.   

Like someone said above, Brent Burns is basically a river too, except he can play great defense as well.   He also has a huge shot, and can hit like a truck.  

Personally, I take a Burns over Hughes any day of the week.  

Not on draft Day you don't though. Burns was a relatively mysterious project for quite a while. But I agree I'd rather have a player like Burns for sure if we knew what we'd be getting, jury is still out on what hughes can be for us.