The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

14 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Lol   

So McDavid isn’t generational yet, but this tiny defenceman who can’t play D, has no shot, and wanders the ice out of position is?    

Ok

He did not use the word "is". He said, "could be" and "potentially". Do you not understand those words, or are you being intentionally dishonest?

• Upvote 1

Elite NHL Prospect

1. Quinn Hughes, D, Vancouver

Previous ranking: 7

Skating: 70
Puck Skills: 65
Physical Game: 35
Hockey sense: 65

Quinn Hughes is a special talent. The way he skates is unique and separates him from the pack. He’s a truly elite skater but it’s not just speed, his edges are ridiculously good. He spins off pressure and gets up to top speed incredibly well. He’s also very skilled and makes elite plays seems routine. He has a fluidity to his game that I’ve never seen before. Every pass is crisp and on the mark, every rush seems easy. He’s a small defenseman and he’ll never be known for his penalty killing ability, but I think he defends OK. The biggest thing I’ve seen with Hughes is he needs to improve is cutting down the turnovers, especially the high-risk ones. But you take some bad with a truckload of the good. He projects to be a star defenseman in the NHL.

https://theathletic.com/761041/2019/01/15/pronman-midseason-nhl-prospect-ranking/

From Corey Pronman's NHL prospect rankings. He has Hughes as #1, last year it was Rasmus Dahlin with Pettersson being #9. 

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, drummerboy said:

We are all well aware of your dreams and delusions Alf. 

First off, he isn’t the first one to do what he is doing.   

Like someone said above, Brent Burns is basically a river too, except he can play great defense as well.   He also has a huge shot, and can hit like a truck.  

Personally, I take a Burns over Hughes any day of the week.  

Hughes will impact games (offensively) more than Burns.  Burns does not skate or see the ice anywhere close to Hughes.  Hughes is unique.  Next year I will repost, and you will bow to Alf’s great prognostication.  :lol:

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Lol   

So McDavid isn’t generational yet, but this tiny defenceman who can’t play D, has no shot, and wanders the ice out of position is?    

Ok

Having two feet planted on the ground is no fun. The idea that a player has to prove himself is going overboard. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

McDavid is a generational offensively gifted talent, but he will not change the way the game is played. 

Quinn Hughes is a uniquely gifted player, who will change how teams play.  

Sorry Alf, but McDavid has already changed the way the game is played. Speed, 3 line carries, scoring off the rush, and high end skill are the winning way of today’s NHL. There is none in the game better at it than the whiney boy in Edmonton. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The_Rocket said:

Sorry Alf, but McDavid has already changed the way the game is played. Speed, 3 line carries, scoring off the rush, and high end skill are the winning way of today’s NHL. There is none in the game better at it than the whiney boy in Edmonton. 

There were fast guys scoring off the rush before Connor (who I think is a great player btw). Hughes is unique.  Doug Harvey was a rover.  Some would say Orr was too.  Coffee carried the puck like no one.  EK is great, and roams into the play as well.  Quinn is different than all these guys.  He is unique.  

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

There were fast guys scoring off the rush before Connor (who I think is a great player btw). Hughes is unique.  Doug Harvey was a rover.  Some would say Orr was too.  Coffee carried the puck like no one.  EK is great, and roams into the play as well.  Quinn is different than all these guys.  He is unique.  

I guess my theory with McDavid is as such:

hes is been a scoring leader in the league ever since he entered and goal scoring has increased each year he’s been in the league. Players who entered the league after him are adapting their style to his are seeing succes from it (Mackinnon, Kucherov, gaudreau, scheifle, etc.). All these players who found lots of succes as half-court/pp guys are now having career years and are playing more like McDavid. He’s shown that being a one man army is a legitimate way to play if you’re skilled enough. 

Pettersson has started playing this way too; as the season has gone along he has increased the amount he carries the puck is scoring often off the rush. Last year in the SHL, he was scoring more off the set up and cycle similar to the Sedins. The NHL is played this way because that’s the way McDavid plays and he is the most succesful scorer in the league

1 hour ago, The_Rocket said:

What an absolute ice cold take and frankly wrong description of Quinn Hughes’s game. 

I guess if you consider opening up as an outlet man, controlling break outs and zone entries, and joining the rush as “wandering”.

Or having solid gap control, knowing when to attack the shooter and when to give space, and reading when the play is going up high, downlow, or to the slot and positioning as such examples of someone who “can’t play D”. 

Or if being the same size as, say, Erik Karlsson at the same age is “tiny”. 

And just because he se he doesn’t have a pettersson-style slap shot doesn’t mean he has no shot at all. He’s constantly getting shots through from the point. Mostly wristers, sure, but still hard, accurate shots that get past the first blocker almost every time. 

Hes is not generational but he’s still really, really good. Don’t try to under sell him just to make your point. 

I think @drummerboyis simply adding a little cautionary caveat to the conversation. Canucks have landed two serious pieces to the rebuild in the past two drafts, BB & EP. That raises expectations and IMO can lead to unrealistic expectations for Hughes. These young guys get to much press now a days. Hughes has some tough challenges ahead of him. I am hoping he does not get to much criticism.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, westcoastsniper said:

https://theathletic.com/761041/2019/01/15/pronman-midseason-nhl-prospect-ranking/

From Corey Pronman's NHL prospect rankings. He has Hughes as #1, last year it was Rasmus Dahlin with Pettersson being #9. 

For those interested, Craig Button has Hughes at #1. A bit of a change from last year where Pronman had Pettersson at #9 and Button had him at #1.

https://www.tsn.ca/russian-wingers-top-tsn-s-ranking-of-nhl-affiliated-prospects-1.1241872

Edited by westcoastsniper

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Hughes will impact games (offensively) more than Burns.  Burns does not skate or see the ice anywhere close to Hughes.  Hughes is unique.  Next year I will repost, and you will bow to Alf’s great prognostication.  :lol:

Burns won a Norris a couple years ago.......

What an absolute ice cold take and frankly wrong description of Quinn Hughes’s game. 

Some might call it cold, others call it realistic and honest. 

I guess if you consider opening up as an outlet man, controlling break outs and zone entries, and joining the rush as “wandering”.

His rush is amazing. Absolutely, but there are two sides of the puck. 

Or having solid gap control, knowing when to attack the shooter and when to give space, and reading when the play is going up high, downlow, or to the slot and positioning as such examples of someone who “can’t play D”. 

Those are great examples of how we hope he will eventually play, but not yet.  

We aren’t taking about hopefuls and maybes though   

Or if being the same size as, say, Erik Karlsson at the same age is “tiny”. 

You are telling me calling someone who is currently 5’9 160 lbs tiny is wrong?  

Does your crystal ball show you his growth?  

And just because he se he doesn’t have a pettersson-style slap shot doesn’t mean he has no shot at all. He’s constantly getting shots through from the point. Mostly wristers, sure, but still hard, accurate shots that get past the first blocker almost every time. 

Sorry, but no.   The kid doesn’t have a slot shot.  At all. 

His wrist shot is incredibly weak.  

Sure it can be accurate, but dmen take most of their shots from the point.  

His wrister isn’t scoring him goals in college, and it didn’t work against junior goalies either.   

It wont beat many NHLers 

Hes is not generational but he’s still really, really good. Don’t try to under sell him just to make your point. 

Again, no underselling.  

Just a realistic approach 

1 minute ago, drummerboy said:

His wrister isn’t scoring him goals in college, and it didn’t work against junior goalies either.   

It wont beat many NHLers 

Again, no underselling.  

You keep saying you're being "realistic". Just because you keep saying it, doesn't make any of what you said actually "realistic". The reality is that (a) experts (not you) rate him as one of the top 10 prospects not in the NHL, and that includes guys drafted 1-2 years before him, (b) the point production that he's having in college in his draft+1 year is putting him in elite territory based on comparable NHL players at that stage, and (c) he is coming into the league at a perfect time for his skillset. 

Is he a generational talent? No. Is his shot good enough for the NHL? No. Is he a lot better than you are giving him credit for? Yes. 

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

It wont beat many NHLers 

Again, no underselling.  

Just quickly here:

1. I’m not talking about hopefuls and maybes, I’m talking about how he actually plays right now in games in the NCAA. He plays both sides of the puck

2. He’s 5’10” and 170 pounds, NOT 5’9” and 160 pounds. Small? Yes. But not to the point where it makes him bad. 

3. Getting the shot to the net from the point is very important. Rebounds, tips, and scrambles come from this play. That’s where Hughes contributes with his shot. No, it’s not elite, but it’s not nonexistent either. Goal scoring from the point is not even close to the most important skill a defender should have. 

4. You’re not being realistic, you’re being pessimistic. There’s a big difference. 

Hes not generational. He’s not bad either. He’s really, really good and is one of the best defensemen under the age of 20 in the world. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Quinn is not a shooter. Pair him with Tryamkin (fingers crossed), or stack the PP with Brock, EP, even Gaudette...

1:50 is exactly what we need from Quinn. Overtime heroics, taking the game into his own hands.

He would not be the guy to blast the puck home, but look how easy a finish that is for his teammate based on his ability to open everybody up (Dman and goalie included).

This is the Quinn Hughes I'm excited about. Sheer puck possession and creativity. 

51 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Hughes is a lot more likely to be a 8 goal, 60 assist guy rather than a 20 goal 40 assist guy.

Even in college, you can see his forte isn't to score goals, it's to draw defenders to him then make the accurate pass to the goal scorer.

Thats what I noticed in that highlight package. He is constantly drawing 2 to 3 defenders towards himself.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

It wont beat many NHLers 

Again, no underselling.  

I think you misunderstand Quinn’s uniqueness.  He’s going to change the way NHL teams think that the point shot is the key play for a D man.  Quinn will revolutionize the conception that blasting from the point is the first option for a D.  He will move the puck with his legs, or pass and then move to open ice in the O zone.  Yes, he has uniquely gifted skating and puck skills, but he sees the game in new ways too.  He’s much like Pettersson in this way of thinking.  

Quinn Hughes will change how the game is played.  

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think you misunderstand Quinn’s uniqueness.  He’s going to change the way NHL teams think that the point shot is the key play for a D man.  Quinn will revolutionize the conception that blasting from the point is the first option for a D.  He will move the puck with his legs, or pass and then move to open ice in the O zone.  Yes, he has uniquely gifted skating and puck skills, but he sees the game in new ways too.  He’s much like Pettersson in this way of thinking.  

Quinn Hughes will change how the game is played.  

Ok Alf.  

• Cheers 1