The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, 6string said:

Tanev with our seventh pick Quinn Hughes were traded like a thousand times here on CDC, leading up to the draft.

They may actually become a pairing in the very near future :)

I like one part of this. Can you guess the part of this situation I don't like? Give ya a hint.... It has sound effects like *crunch, snap, crack, oof*. I like the speed and the outlet passes, but putting Hughes with Tanev could be a very costly mistake for our first ever d-man with #1 potential. Guddy, Tryamkin, someone like Tanev, but who can turn the sandpaper in his game up to 11. Where can we find one of those?!

Really love this pick for our franchise and our PP which will win us more games.

i still hope they let him have a year in Michigan or Utica. No need to win more next year.

save cap space. Let Petterson and Hughes keep playing outside of the nhl getting stronger and get that pick to take Jack Hughes next year.

franchise centre and damn we would be in contention within a couple years.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

People need to criticize something and the it was too tough to criticize the pick?

Grecian formula is a new sponsor this year.  Big washed out black streaks on all our jersey shoulders.  Looks legit.

8 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Was just going to post this same video.

If you have any concern about how this kid is going to handle the size of NHL players, watch this video.

His positioning, angles, speed, creativity and edge work are remarkable. This is a great video that shows how he'll look in a Canuck jersey playing the PP and PK and just how he can break up opposition rushes and turn around and head the other way in a hurry.

The term used in the vid was something like he's a one-man entry zone guy. He can pretty well do it on his own. Imagine, no more of those !@#$% Edler drop passes at his own blue line. This kid will dominate puck possession. And watching some of his power play set-ups, Boeser and Petterson are going to be drooling over this kid.

I'm now officially excited. 

Oh, and while I was initially concerned with his smallish size, watching how he makes up for it has totally eased my worries. And by the way, he's as big or bigger than Johnny Hockey, and that kid is pretty good.

Exactly this....also the impact that this guy can have on forwards like Bo, brock and Pettersson cant be emphasized enough.  We have almost forgotten what its like to have a guy that can feed players on the rush from the back end consistently.  I betcha this guy can add 10-15 points to Brock's point totals.  Id also go as far as saying injuries will be reduced on the team because it wont be a gong show of chasing the puck and blocking shots all the time....we will be taking it to the other team .. 

Edited by Darius71
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, elvis15 said:

It doesn't work like that - particularly for college players. If he wants to go back for another year of NCAA hockey then he misses preseason altogether and can't sign a contract to play in any games. Even the summer camp he'll have to pay his own way.

That said, if he decides to sign, he could get some NHL games, but they aren't going to risk losing another D to waivers or something similar just to let him play a few NHL games. The 9 game rule means nothing if he's signed a contract though as he wouldn't be going back to junior to have his contract slide. It would be in effect in the NHL or the AHL.

I have a feeling you are going to be repeating this a lot for the next few mo ths elvis. 

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Does anyone else think our management might've had Hughes at #3 or #4?

Benning says they had Hughes over Zadina and that after the top two there was "probably one other guy.. or two other guys". Kinda answered the question and caught himself after saying just one. Pure speculation but the "1 guy" was probably Tkachuk, other being Kotkaniemi but they knew he wouldn't be there and they probably still like Hughes more.

Benning said they had him higher, Hayton was the off the board pick before them & they liked Hughes more than Zadina, so. I would not be surprised if they had Hughes #3. 

Would be #4 then. 

Probably was Dahlin, Svech, Kotka, Hughes

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Exactly this....also the impact that this guy can have on forwards like Bo, brock and Pettersson cant be emphasized enough.  We have almost forgotten what its like to have a guy that can feed players on the rush from the back end consistently.  I betcha this guy can add 10-15 points to Brock's point totals.  Id also go as far as saying injuries will be reduced on the team because it wont be a gong show of chasing the puck and blocking shots all the time....we will be taking it to the other team .. 

Several times in the video he's picking up the puck in his defensive zone and he's pulling away from forecheckers.  Quite a few highlights where the forecheckers basically falls out of the play and Quinn is over the blue line in just a few strides.

That will be huge for our defense and help out our young forwards a lot by not having them need to spend as much time in their own zone.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

This was before the draft, kid is very well spoken.

Nice interview, Hughes was clearly excited.  i think that everybody had him pegged to go to the Red Wings who expected to draft a D too but were going to take BPA regardless as they should.  

Look, Montreal went off the page a little and took the Finn.  Not that big of a surprise.

Ottawa, took Tkachuk which wasn't a shock.  He was either going 4 or 5

Next, Arizona went totally off the page with Hayton which threw everybody for a loop

So it the BPA at 6 was clearly Zadina for Detroit even though they fully expected to draft Hughes

The thing about 7 is that the way things fell, the Canucks could take a clear shot at their ideal D (after Dahlen) and there can be no doubt amongst fans that there was any compromise.

I'm surprised that Dobson fell to 12 because failing Hughes, I thought that Dobby was their guy.  

• Cheers 1

I think that they should keep Tanev  and trade Edler.  Let Hughes and Juolevi play.

Hughes Tanev

Juolevi Gudbranson

MDZ Stecher

Hutton Pouliot

There are bound to be some injuries, and just let the competition between them dictate who plays.

Hughes and Petersson at this point look like they may be 2 of the most talented Canucks ever.  Pretty cool at 5th and 7th.

Add in Horvat, Gaudette, Juolevi, Dahlen, Demko, Virtanen, Lind, and the core is looking pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

Im sure this video has been posted but did anyone notices before he goes up too the stadium, that brady tkachuk give him props and a hug before he heads up.

I believe I heard that the Hughes' are billeting with the Tkachuk family.

Of the four defensemen he was the one I went back and forth on the most. He's probably the most exciting player we could have picked and I'm excited to follow him more closely next year!

He is on the short side, but at ~175lbs he's not that skinny for 5'10". I was hoping he would participate in the combine because I have a feeling he's quite strong for his size. Being that he's one of the older players in this draft year I'm not sure he'll grow anymore, but I can see him eventually playing at around Biega's weight (195lbs) and Biega certainly isn't afraid of the physical side of the game.

Here's to hoping we picked the best one of the four defensemen!

Anyone else read his interview in sportsnet from tonight, he said his dad always emphasized defense first and having the highest +/- on his team last year is what he’s most proud of. Good to see that he understands the role of a Defenseman but happens to be deadly with his offensive skills. I’m liking Hughes more and more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Does anyone else think our management might've had Hughes at #3 or #4?

Benning says they had Hughes over Zadina and that after the top two there was "probably one other guy.. or two other guys". Kinda answered the question and caught himself after saying just one. Pure speculation but the "1 guy" was probably Tkachuk, other being Kotkaniemi but they knew he wouldn't be there and they probably still like Hughes more.

Benning said they had him higher, Hayton was the off the board pick before them & they liked Hughes more than Zadina, so. I would not be surprised if they had Hughes #3. 

I thought that comment was very interesting. By all media accounts we thought Benning was in love with Dobson or Bouchard. We knew Tkachuk was up there as well. Maybe the Canucks' draft board was:

Dahlin

Svechnikov

Tkachuk

Hughes

Zadina

Kotkaniemi/Dobson/Bouchard/etc.

• Upvote 3