The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The usual crowd will panic and say 'see kid can't play at this level, not an NHL'er' or 'he should be in Utica' etc.

The rest of us will see it for what it is, growing pains, development and the occasional cost for all the exciting things he'll do with the puck and simply sit back and enjoy those exciting things.

Now that you mention it - growing pains, is that what Jordan Subban, Dal Colle and Shink had?

Any player, no matter where he is drafted has to show he can play the type of game that survives in the NHL. No one is a given, so you shouldn't dismiss another poster's concerns.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

March 2nd is his teams last game of the season I believe, so he could sign after that if they don't make the playoffs.

I read that their 1st line center is out for the season with injury and that pretty much killed any playoff hopes for them.

How are people going to react if Hughes comes in and makes mistakes and turns over the puck just like Pouliot?

It's a possibility.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I have super high hopes for Q and think he will be a smart player.

But growing pains are to be expected as he learns what he can and can't get away with in the big leagues.

The difference is. In Quinn first full season he will likely put up more points that pouliot has in his last 5 years combined. With Offensive minded D you take the bad with the good. And Unfortunately for pouliot there is no good, just bad. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Now that you mention it - growing pains, is that what Jordan Subban, Dal Colle and Shink had?

Any player, no matter where he is drafted has to show he can play the type of game that survives in the NHL. No one is a given, so you shouldn't dismiss another poster's concerns.

No, what they had was a lack of NHL talent (well maybe not Dal Colle, haven't followed him closely but his seems to be more of a heart transplant issue).

That's not Quinn's 'problem'.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

No, what they had was a lack of NHL talent (well maybe not Dal Colle, haven't followed him closely but his seems to be more of a heart transplant issue).

That's not Quinn's 'problem'.

With respect we don't know what Hughes's problem is until he plays in the NHL - if he has a problem at all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

:bored: cop out 

Nothing definitive can be said of Quinn right now outside of the fact that he's a very promising prospect that has exceptionally high offensive potential. 

At the NHL level, sometimes even the most surefire prospects fail. Time will tell what role and reality Quinn settles in to. I think all Canucks fans want him to succeed and be a top flight defenseman. 

37 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Nothing definitive can be said of Quinn right now outside of the fact that he's a very promising prospect that has exceptionally high offensive potential. 

Don't believe I've stated otherwise.

42 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

At the NHL level, sometimes even the most surefire prospects fail. Time will tell what role and reality Quinn settles in to. I think all Canucks fans want him to succeed and be a top flight defenseman. 

Hughes is clearly going to be an elite NHL Dman.  He skates better than anyone.  He’s got superior puck skills.  The way he processes the game is off the charts.  And he’s hyper competitive.  I believe some fans are actually a feared of how fabulous Quinn will be.  

Why do you fear?  Accept Quinn’s greatness, 

• Like 1

Has it been confirmed by his camp that he wants to even turn pro after his team gets eliminated from a playoff birth? The kid is unreal and has already played with the big boys of team usa id love to see him come sign in march but who knows maybe hes not ready to jump to pro and wants to finish schhool? Man the spark he would give us down the stretch for our pp would be crazy 

6 minutes ago, Topcheeze86 said:

Has it been confirmed by his camp that he wants to even turn pro after his team gets eliminated from a playoff birth? The kid is unreal and has already played with the big boys of team usa id love to see him come sign in march but who knows maybe hes not ready to jump to pro and wants to finish schhool? Man the spark he would give us down the stretch for our pp would be crazy 

Quinn, himself, said in a radio interview his plan was to turn pro after this college season.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Topcheeze86 said:

Excited for this then i really thought his parents were gonna try to get him to stay in college which i was afraid off 

Not sure why his parents would try to convince him to delay getting played millions of dollars in a notoriously short/high risk of injury career...

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The difference is. In Quinn first full season he will likely put up more points that pouliot has in his last 5 years combined. With Offensive minded D you take the bad with the good. And Unfortunately for pouliot there is no good, just bad. 

I understand that completely, I think some posters might think I was slamming Hughes, but it is quite the opposite.

I don't want people to give him the pouliot treatment because he is an offensive defenseman and mistakes will be made.

He will be a rookie, that doesnt stop some people from tearing our guys apart sadly.

11 hours ago, Topcheeze86 said:

Sign him immediately and figure out that expansion draft later.  

Playing around with college picks is not recommended.  His bro is going to get picked elsewhere, push Quinn off and he could just decide to join his brothers team in 2 years as s college FA.  

Woo is not in the plans for next season and would still have to return to JR.  We will continue to draft usable players and replacing a Hutton at this point wont be hard.  

• Wat 1

6 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Playing around with college picks is not recommended.  His bro is going to get picked elsewhere, push Quinn off and he could just decide to join his brothers team in 2 years as s college FA.  

Woo is not in the plans for next season and would still have to return to JR.  We will continue to draft usable players and replacing a Hutton at this point wont be hard.  

Who wants to replace Hutton...?

Hutton and Stecher have made the greatest gains this year and are now solid second pairing D.

Pooalot is the guy moving along for sure and I would rather trade Edler or Tanev for good return than lose Hutton or Stecher for a late round pick or such.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Topcheeze86 said:

Excited for this then i really thought his parents were gonna try to get him to stay in college which i was afraid off 

His dad used to be a player development coach for the Leafs, so he is getting good advice about the different paths he can take, and was probably even told that the AHL was a good option. However with Quinn's skillset and IQ, he probably wont see time there.

10 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Who wants to replace Hutton...?

Hutton and Stecher have made the greatest gains this year and are now solid second pairing D.

Pooalot is the guy moving along for sure and I would rather trade Edler or Tanev for good return than lose Hutton or Stecher for a late round pick or such.

The only way I see Hutton gone is if Juolevi is ready to be sheltered for a 3rd pairing role. Unless of course Travis is willing to put one of the LD into RD. Quinn has previously said he's comfortable in the RD as well but it'll be up to the coaching staff.

7 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

"Replacing a hutton wouldnt be that hard."> Why the hell would you? Hes progressing perfectly.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, westcoastsniper said:

The only way I see Hutton gone is if Juolevi is ready to be sheltered for a 3rd pairing role. Unless of course Travis is willing to put one of the LD into RD. Quinn has previously said he's comfortable in the RD as well but it'll be up to the coaching staff.

Joulevi will be ready at some point next year but I would still rather see Pooalot gone instead of Hutton ...I am hoping they can convince Edler to waive his NTC under the promise to sign him back for 3 more years in the summer....we could get a second round pick and a prospect or maybe even a first round pick.

Hutton / Hughes

Edler / Tanev 

Joulevi / Stecher 

Guddy

We could even trade both Edler and Tanev at the TDL and end up with some great picks at the draft!!...of course we only trade both if we go on a nosedive from here...but we could trade Edler anyway and have Hughes come in to replace him after after his college season and/or call up Brisebois or whichever Utica D. is going good at the time...