The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

17 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

I think Benning wants to trade Edler if he can and then hopefully resign him. I see no reason for POuliot to be back next and I think Tanev or Guddy will be traded this deadline/offseason as well. I think our D lineup needs a shakeup and could end up looking roughly like this.

Hughes-Tanev

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-Myers

Juolevi-Biega

I don't believe this is true unless we are out of a playoff spot at the trade deadline.  No way Edler or Tanev get traded if we are in the playoff mix...

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Much harder than you think, Hutton has become our best defenceman for escaping our own zone. In my opinion, of all our D’s, Hutton probably has the highest trade value now.

It's a low bar Ray.  Glad Hutton has high trade value, trade him.  We need to fix the defence and other than re signing Edler (trade him and the re sign him, but re signing Edler should be a priority IMO).  IMO Guddy is not string enough to keep Pouliot out of danger.  Guddy needs a stronger d partner and 

This defence is holding the team back and Edler is our best d man.  Our defence needs a do over.  Not easy and OJ's injury and Trymakin not being here has hindered the change over.  

If the right d man is there at the TDL or in the off season, sign, trade or draft him.  The guys we have aren't enough  

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't believe this is true unless we are out of a playoff spot at the trade deadline.  No way Edler or Tanev get traded if we are in the playoff mix...

I don't think playoffs, in or out, remotely factor in to the decision.

That both the team and he, likely want to have him back, and for good reason, are why he'll be back (and likely not traded... though it would be great to have our cake and eat it too).

16 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Curious. Do you think he could be worse then Pouliot? He is a risk reward type player and he will give up the puck plenty during his time, but he is also going to be playing with Pettersson. You put those 2 on the ice and there is going to be magic on a game to game basis. The way he can pivot with the puck and leave players in his wake will be amplified in the NHL, where everyone is where they're supposed to be on the ice. Did Boeser need to see any time in the AHL? We're looking at the same thing with Hughes. He's just that good and he'll adapt to the game quickly the way he did in the world championship with the US last year.

Same with Stetcher...granted he was a year or so older than Quinn...but he is nowhere near as talented or fast as Quinn...and Stecher walked right onto the team...just like I said he would.

Quinn will walk on to the team, make some Pooalot type mistakes...but make some Coffey type plays as well....by mid season the Pooalot plays will not be noticed due to all the Coffey type plays.

Just watch....!

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

It's a low bar Ray.  Glad Hutton has high trade value, trade him.  We need to fix the defence and other than re signing Edler (trade him and the re sign him, but re signing Edler should be a priority IMO).  IMO Guddy is not string enough to keep Pouliot out of danger.  Guddy needs a stronger d partner and 

This defence is holding the team back and Edler is our best d man.  Our defence needs a do over.  Not easy and OJ's injury and Trymakin not being here has hindered the change over.  

If the right d man is there at the TDL or in the off season, sign, trade or draft him.  The guys we have aren't enough  

In our last game, where we were highly pressured by an aggressive forecheck, our only D’s able to effectively escape our own zone were Hutton and Stetcher.  Pouliot and Gudbranson were a disaster, but Edler and Tanev were ineffective with regard to escaping our zone with possession.  The league has changed to a much faster paced game, and Benning’s recent draft choices reflect that - Hughes, Rathbone, Juolevi, and Woo.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

In our last game, where we were highly pressured by an aggressive forecheck, our only D’s able to effectively escape our own zone were Hutton and Stetcher.  Pouliot and Gudbranson were a disaster, but Edler and Tanev were ineffective with regard to escaping our zone with possession.  The league has changed to a much faster paced game, and Benning’s recent draft choices reflect that - Hughes, Rathbone, Juolevi, and Woo.  

Yes, but that's one game.  I dont like Guddy with Pouliot, but think he does really decent with Edler and better with Hutton.  

Edler and Tanev aren't great together, but they take on a higher Qualcomm too.  

Hutton is okay, but not our best guy.  IMO

Quinn Hughes with a reaaallly baaaaddddd game tonight. If anyone is interested to see some of the few things he needs to work magnified into one game I think there might be a play by play up soon. Not sure though.

Heres to bouncing back.

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

Yes, but that's one game.  I dont like Guddy with Pouliot, but think he does really decent with Edler and better with Hutton.  

Edler and Tanev aren't great together, but they take on a higher Qualcomm too.  

Hutton is okay, but not our best guy.  IMO

As I see it, our biggest problem with regard to how we are now countered by other NHL teams, is the inability of most of our defence to resist a strong forecheck and escape our own zone.  At that particular task, Hutton and Stetcher are clearly the best among our D’s.  Gudbranson and Pouliot are clearly the worst, Tanev is decent and Edler iis not particularly mobile.  Adjusting our systems can help Tanev and Edler, but I don’t see it helping much with Pouliot and Gudbranson- Gudbranson would be helped by a very mobile LD or a very defensively strong left shooting D.  Sautner was able to help us like that for the last few games last year, but he is just recovered from injury, so I don’t see him being of much immediate help.  I feel sorry for Pouliot, but he is really having major problems with forecheck pressure - he appears to be in a permanent panic while handling the puck.  Biega is mobile, but I don’t see this team sitting Gudbranson’s physical presence to play him, and these coaches don’t seem to want a right shot D playing the left side.  Peterson has been a bit jittery with the puck since his return, hopefully on his return to top form will help down low - his mobility and puck handling confidence down low will be a big help.  Just  my opinion, for what it’s worth.

8 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

As I see it, our biggest problem with regard to how we are now countered by other NHL teams, is the inability of most of our defence to resist a strong forecheck and escape our own zone.  

A certain Swedish defenseman currently playing in California + Hughes next year would go a LONG way to fixing that.

Some time for Juolevi to get his legs under him in Utica and added later in the year will do wonders as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

12 hours ago, aGENT said:

A certain Swedish defenseman currently playing in California + Hughes next year would go a LONG way to fixing that.

Some time for Juolevi to get his legs under him in Utica and added later in the year will do wonders as well.

I don’t think at this stage of our development that we will be picking up that swedish defenceman.  Other than Hutton and perhaps Stetcher, i think that the Canucks D needs to be reconstructed.  The lack of demand from other teams for Edler and Tanev should be telling us something about the perception of thirty other NHL GMs opinions regarding their value.  Benning related in today’s province that at the last trading deadline, that he had a total of one call regarding Edler from another GM - Edler was fifth on that GMs preference list.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I don’t think at this stage of our development that we will be picking up that swedish defenceman.  Other than Hutton and perhaps Stetcher, i think that the Canucks D needs to be reconstructed.  The lack of demand from other teams for Edler and Tanev should be telling us something about the perception of thirty other NHL GMs opinions regarding their value.  Benning related in today’s province that at the last trading deadline, that he had a total of one call regarding Edler from another GM - Edler was fifth on that GMs preference list.

If Hutton and Stetcher are the beginning of the D Corps of the future the Canucks are not going to be successful. 

• Haha 1

On 1/27/2019 at 7:56 AM, aGENT said:

You really think Oscar Fantenberg will have that much impact if the Canucks pick him up?

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Chances are, probably not. I'm assuming he stays in SJS. But if he's available, we'd be fools not to kick tires IMO.

Hutton and Stecher are good, young and still improving, depth D. They're not going to be the crux of the rebuild though. Edler is almost certainly back as we have no one ready to replace those minutes and this management has shown no appetite for sending kids to the slaughter in roles they aren't remotely prepared for.

As for the 'lack of demand' on Edler...:lol: Last year he had 1.25 years left, an NTC he's historically shown little interest in waiving (though not impossible) and had been coming off a few iffy statistical years (largely due to team context IMO) and with Benning showing no signs of putting up a for sale sign. Does that sound like a recipe for swarms of interest?

As for '5th on their list" that's lacking a lot of context. Karlsson and McDonagh both got moved last year which is going to put him at best at 3rd for talent. Then was that one team considering age? Term left? Handedness? Were they shopping for more bargain priced guys lower in cap and trade asset cost? Hoping to buy low by downplaying interest etc, etc.. I don't think you can make any definitive statements based on that vague information.

• Upvote 2

On 1/28/2019 at 2:06 PM, aGENT said:

Chances are, probably not. I'm assuming he stays in SJS. But if he's available, we'd be fools not to kick tires IMO.

Hutton and Stecher are good, young and still improving, depth D. They're not going to be the crux of the rebuild though. Edler is almost certainly back as we have no one ready to replace those minutes and this management has shown no appetite for sending kids to the slaughter in roles they aren't remotely prepared for.

As for the 'lack of demand' on Edler...:lol: Last year he had 1.25 years left, an NTC he's historically shown little interest in waiving (though not impossible) and had been coming off a few iffy statistical years (largely due to team context IMO) and with Benning showing no signs of putting up a for sale sign. Does that sound like a recipe for swarms of interest?

As for '5th on their list" that's lacking a lot of context. Karlsson and McDonagh both got moved last year which is going to put him at best at 3rd for talent. Then was that one team considering age? Term left? Handedness? Were they shopping for more bargain priced guys lower in cap and trade asset cost? Hoping to buy low by downplaying interest etc, etc.. I don't think you can make any definitive statements based on that vague information.

If Edler was to waive his NTC for 6 weeks, there would be considerable interest.  He would be a significant add to a roster to put it over the top.  Tampa comes to mind.  An Edler Hedman pairing... damn.  

I almost want a young d prospect back more than a pick.  Cal Foote is one such guy.  There are others, but the type of guy that could step in as early as this season and further the transition.  

To me Hutton has only stuck due to an uncertain roster.  First Trymakin went home.  ImO Trymakin would have supplanted Hutton the next year.  Then this year OJ got hurt and Pouliot didnt maintain his momentum from the end of last year.  

If Edler is resigned, IMO Hutton will.be moved.  Hughes should be able to supplant him, OJ is next and then Trymakin is still a factor.  

If the choice is Edler vs Hutton, Edler all day long.  

14 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

If Edler was to waive his NTC for 6 weeks, there would be considerable interest.  He would be a significant add to a roster to put it over the top.  Tampa comes to mind.  An Edler Hedman pairing... damn.  

I almost want a young d prospect back more than a pick.  Cal Foote is one such guy.  There are others, but the type of guy that could step in as early as this season and further the transition.  

To me Hutton has only stuck due to an uncertain roster.  First Trymakin went home.  ImO Trymakin would have supplanted Hutton the next year.  Then this year OJ got hurt and Pouliot didnt maintain his momentum from the end of last year.  

If Edler is resigned, IMO Hutton will.be moved.  Hughes should be able to supplant him, OJ is next and then Trymakin is still a factor.  

I don't know why people keep beating this dead horse.  It has an almost zero chance of happening.  Given the comments of his agent it doesn't sound like Edler would even consider waiving and even asking him would be considered insulting enough he might not resign in the summer.

Furthermore, they are in the playoff hunt and they've got no one to replace his mins.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't know why people keep beating this dead horse.  It has an almost zero chance of happening.  Given the comments of his agent it doesn't sound like Edler would even consider waiving and even asking him would be considered insulting enough he might not resign in the summer.

Furthermore, they are in the playoff hunt and they've got no one to replace his mins.

We don't fully know this though. We know what his agent said, but that's about it. Edler's a quiet one and keeps to himself. He hasn't really told us much personally.

So I think what you are saying is more opinion than fact in this case as we simply just don't know the facts. He might be willing to waive. He might not. We honestly don't know so I think any assumption in this case is easily fallible.

That being said, do I see Edler being traded? Personally, my guess is no but it's just that: a guess.

Edited by The Lock

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

1 hour ago, stawns said:

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

We don't fully know this though. We know what his agent said, but that's about it. Edler's a quiet one and keeps to himself. He hasn't really told us much personally.

So I think what you are saying is more opinion than fact in this case as we simply just don't know the facts. He might be willing to waive. He might not. We honestly don't know so I think any assumption in this case is easily fallible.

That being said, do I see Edler being traded? Personally, my guess is no but it's just that: a guess.

I'm with Lock on this one. Is it likely Edler gets moved? No. is it possible? Sure. I wouldn't be making any hard and fast declarations of 'fact', on what's to be, regarding him either way. 

I do think our 'playoff position' will have very little influence on it though contrary to what a lot of folks seem to think. Benning came flat out and said that standings this season will have basically no influence on what is already their TDL plan and long term vision. If he doesn't get moved it's because he wants to be here and we want him here. Nothing to do with playoffs.

And yes Phat, Edler would garner considerable interest.

Not sure I agree re: Hutton, he's shown to be a solid depth (2nd or 3rd pair) option and there's plenty of room on the left for Edler, Hutton and Hughes (never mind that I think long term, the Canucks might play Hughes on the right). Juolevi needs reps in Utica next fall before we start penciling him in IMO. He's missed an unfortunate amount of development time with injuries :( 

Things that could effect moving Hutton: Next year could JB look to maybe package say Hutton + Tanev for an upgrade....maybe. Do we target Karlsson or Gardiner this summer? 

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Things that could effect moving Hutton: Next year could JB look to maybe package say Hutton + Tanev for an upgrade....maybe. Do we target Karlsson or Gardiner this summer? 

I mostly just want to comment on targeting Karlsson. In my opinion, it would likely depend on what happens in the draft. Perhaps we make the playoffs. Perhaps we stay around the same or even take a nose dive. In the later 2 situations, we are in the draft lottery (albeit with less chances than previous years most likely).

The reason why I mention this is, in the unlikely event we pick up a Hughes or someone else who will likely be paid a lot down the road, that's eventually a lot of people to be paying big bucks to. We'd effectively be the next Toronto (although let's not kid ourselves as that's not a bad situation to be in lol). I think it's just something to be mindful of.

Of course it would be smart to inquire about Karlsson as we need defense, but if you look at teams like Pittsburgh: they've had times where people were going "where's the defense? They have.... Letang?...." and then they win the cup as everyone buys into the system. lol