I think fans can imagine Hughes stepping right into Pouliot's spot.  Pouliot/Gudbranson often get paired with Petey's line.  It'll be fun to see Hughes and Pettersson on the ice at the same time.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gurn said:

The question is, who gets exposed if Hughes is signed?

Pouliot

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Comeback_Kings said:

I think fans can imagine Hughes stepping right into Pouliot's spot.  Pouliot/Gudbranson often get paired with Petey's line.  It'll be fun to see Hughes and Pettersson on the ice at the same time.  

I really see Juolevi with Petey and Hughes with Horvat.  I think Hughes just gets Petey the puck less while I see Horvat and Hughes sharing the puck and making space for each others skills.  Juolevi is the cerebral positional euro style defenceman Edler wishes he was imho.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TGT68 said:

I really see Juolevi with Petey and Hughes with Horvat.  I think Hughes just gets Petey the puck less while I see Horvat and Hughes sharing the puck and making space for each others skills.  Juolevi is the cerebral positional euro style defenceman Edler wishes he was imho.  

I've been thinking Juolevi's style would work better with Pettersson on PP1 than Hughes' as well. Juolevi can dish effectively and open up space for Pettersson on one side or Boeser on the other. He's also got a good wrister from the point and can pick a spot if the goalie is screened. Hughes would have free reign to do whatever he wants on PP2. 

12 hours ago, Comeback_Kings said:

It will be a major upgrade and I think EP's scoring rate will increase as a result. What Pouliot does from time to time (once every 5 games) on the offensive side, Hughes does every game.

I know that Gudbranson has a poor stat when it comes to +/-, but he brings an element of the game that can compliment Hughes game and his numbers may improve playing with Hughes as well.

• Upvote 2

Hughes might be a better fit when the bottom 6 forwards are on the ice. The Pettersson line is not particularly physical nor effective along the boards. Hughes may experience the same challenge in the NHL with board play. Vancouver has 2 very balanced bottom 6 lines with size, speed and some hands. They can back check and help Hughes and his D partner along the boards. By the same token, Hughes can quarterback more rushes and breakaways for the bottom 6 forwards than what they usually expect. 

I just feel more confident when the other 4 Vancouver skaters playing with Hughes are physical which alleviates Hughes' biggest shortcoming. 

1 hour ago, Maddogy said:

Hughes might be a better fit when the bottom 6 forwards are on the ice. The Pettersson line is not particularly physical nor effective along the boards. Hughes may experience the same challenge in the NHL with board play. Vancouver has 2 very balanced bottom 6 lines with size, speed and some hands. They can back check and help Hughes and his D partner along the boards. By the same token, Hughes can quarterback more rushes and breakaways for the bottom 6 forwards than what they usually expect. 

I just feel more confident when the other 4 Vancouver skaters playing with Hughes are physical which alleviates Hughes' biggest shortcoming. 

Hughes and Virtanen would be fun to watch. 

45 minutes ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen

Hughes - Gudbranson

I feel like that would work well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

For sure, Virtanen can drive the net and create space for Hughes.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen

Hughes - Gudbranson

I feel like that would work well.

Not likely to maximize Hughes production with that group, but also not likely to see him body slammed to the ice either, at least not with impunity. Works for me.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Not likely to maximize Hughes production with that group, but also not likely to see him body slammed to the ice either, at least not with impunity. Works for me.

Quinn will be much harder to knock off his skates than Pettersson. With the kind of skating he has he must have some very strong legs and a good center of gravity. They also weigh similar and Pettersson has like 4 inches on him.

• Hydration 1

On 2/4/2019 at 12:42 PM, Comeback_Kings said:

For sure, Virtanen can drive the net and create space for Hughes.

Problem is that Virtanen doesn't drive the net.

• Upvote 1

On 2/3/2019 at 10:00 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

I've been thinking Juolevi's style would work better with Pettersson on PP1 than Hughes' as well. Juolevi can dish effectively and open up space for Pettersson on one side or Boeser on the other. He's also got a good wrister from the point and can pick a spot if the goalie is screened. Hughes would have free reign to do whatever he wants on PP2. 

I’m thinking a PP of Juolevi (or Hutton) on point, Boeser, Pettersson, Horvat, and Hughes as rover - with his skating, constantly repositioning and forcing the forward defenders to play deeper or drive them deeper, or moving in and out of deep slot to bump and to relay - kind of the deep slot plat Gagner used to earn his dough.  When Hughes drops back out let Horvat curl out from beside the net to front to screen.  Right now, our PP is way too static and predictable.

• Hydration 1

On 2/4/2019 at 4:45 AM, khay said:

It will be a major upgrade and I think EP's scoring rate will increase as a result. What Pouliot does from time to time (once every 5 games) on the offensive side, Hughes does every game.

I know that Gudbranson has a poor stat when it comes to +/-, but he brings an element of the game that can compliment Hughes game and his numbers may improve playing with Hughes as well.

The whole teams scoring rate would increase.  Having a defender that can actually transition the puck and contribute on offence has been a black hole on this team for 4 years.  

Hey seasons end we will have 1 guy that can do that.  By next year 2 and the year after that 3.  

On 2/3/2019 at 12:10 PM, Comeback_Kings said:

I think fans don't realize how tough being an NHL dman actually is.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think fans don't realize how tough being an NHL dman actually is.

They don't but it's likely he does step in. Im really interested to see his defensive game against pros lol, who knows he might simplify big time or could throw the puck away like a mad man and end up watching from the press box.