The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

21 hours ago, aGENT said:

Was agreeing with you:

It's tiresome explaining the difference between depth charts and player rank/value. A LOT of people don't get it.

You can't take teams with multiple #1D's and #2D's (SJS and NSH in particular) and say things like "Edler wouldn't even be in their top 4, therefore he's at best like a #4D...derp"

Herp a derp.  Hilarious, that is trolling 101 on the CDC.  Made me laugh.  

Not you agent.  But the tiresome debate ranking tactic.  

Edited by Phat Fingers

17 hours ago, cyoung said:

Ya but we have different opinions because we are looking at it in a different way. I get what you mean. I love Edler but imo we can't win it all if he's our best. Hopefully Hughes can be our guy but he's probably a few years off.

That doesn't change that Edler's not a 2nd pair D (or he'd be a very good one). At least not yet anyway. During his imminent extension, likely.

If he happened to be on a 2nd pairing he'd be almost as much of a '2nd pair D' as Ekholm or Subban are '2nd pair D'. Come on.

Edited by aGENT

21 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Great, a tandem of garden gnomes defending lol I'm kidding, but really, I think Hughes needs to play with a responsible defensive Dman with decent size (eg. Tanev?)

What could be interesting is seeing how other teams defend against Hughes when he comes here in a few weeks. Could be similar to Pettersson where they don't really know how this kid plays and his tendencies. They'll find out soon enough. Pettersson has impressed throughout the league and is now the Calder favourite. I think Hughes is going to make a splash. Not necessarily goals, but incredible skating, vision and setting up plays.

I did not mean that they would play on the same pairing. #1 PP and #2 PP QB's. I remember Bieska coming in at 195 pounds and tough as nails. Not suggesting Stecher is the same but he is now 190 pounds. He plays a more physical game along the boards and in the corners. IMHO he does not have to dominate board play but has to transition well. He is doing that better all the time.

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I did not mean that they would play on the same pairing. #1 PP and #2 PP QB's. I remember Bieska coming in at 195 pounds and tough as nails. Not suggesting Stecher is the same but he is now 190 pounds. He plays a more physical game along the boards and in the corners. IMHO he does not have to dominate board play but has to transition well. He is doing that better all the time.

I think Stecher is more of an offensive type Dman. He does play bigger than he is, gritty little mofo, huge heart. I would just like to see Hughes be able to do his thing, while his D partner (Tanev?) hangs back a bit, plays a more defensive game. Hughes is like a rover, plays all over the ice. 

I'd like to see this:

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sautner

Brisebois

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

That doesn't change that Edler's not a 2nd pair D (or he'd be a very good one). At least not yet anyway. During his imminent extension, likely.

If he happened to be on a 2nd pairing he'd be almost as much of a '2nd pair D' as Ekholm or Subban are '2nd pair D'. Come on.

Um I love Edler, don't get me wrong. But Subban and Ekholm are a tier above him. Edler just isn't as consistent. He looks fantastic this year which is great, he's one of my favorite all time Canucks when he's on his game.

2 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Um I love Edler, don't get me wrong. But Subban and Ekholm are a tier above him. Edler just isn't as consistent. He looks fantastic this year which is great, he's one of my favorite all time Canucks when he's on his game.

Sure they are. Never said otherwise. But none of them are 2nd pair D.

42 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I know it's been widely reported that Quinn will sign when his NCAA season is over but it's nice for Benning to confirm it again from the Canucks' side.

When is the NCAA season end?

2 hours ago, dpn1 said:

When is the NCAA season end?

https://mgoblue.com/schedule.aspx?path=mhockey

March 2 is their last game and they're not going to the Frozen Four tournament.

*Edit. They still play in the Big Ten tourney after that so it's not certain when his season will end. it could be as early as Mar 8-10. and Mar 23 is the championship game if they make it that far.

https://bigten.org/documents/2019/2/5//2019_B1G_HKY_Tournament_Bracket_Blank.pdf?id=6270

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/schedule/2019-03-01/PT

Edited by canuckledraggin
4th edit :/
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canuckledraggin said:

So assuming his 1st game could be the 6th against Toronto, that would give him 16 games for the Canucks. That's about 6 too many if we don't want to have to protect him in the expansion draft.

I got a feeling he will get some practices in and miss a few games because of that and probably get scratched once or twice throughout the rest of the season

37 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

So assuming his 1st game could be the 6th against Toronto, that would give him 16 games for the Canucks. That's about 6 too many if we don't want to have to protect him in the expansion draft.

I thought that for college players that even one game played counts the same as if he was out of the CHL and played over nines games... could be wrong on that but thought is was mentioned previously somewhere in one of these threads.

Just now, Kootenay Gold said:

I thought that for college players that even one game played counts the same as if he was out of the CHL and played over nines games... could be wrong on that but thought is was mentioned previously somewhere in one of these threads.

I know Sid has been saying that, but every other pundit is saying it's 10 games. I'd still like to know definitively what that rule is, because 10 games is manageable if we want to keep him under that number, but he will for sure get 1 game.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxJDwAdEKOyQ1W9gU3Kmz

Yeah, I agree. Hutton works much better with Stecher and Guddy works much better with Edler. Although I was kind of thinking to pair Hughes with Guddy, mainly in the interests of keeping Hughes in one piece.

Edited by WeneedLumme

46 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Having the defensemen up top switch spots after the puck goes down low for a strong side one timer is becoming more and more popular. I saw Brannstrom score twice with that play at the WJC. With the way Hughes' shot is improving and his ability to move laterally across the blue line, he might even be able to pull that off at even strength.