The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Benning doesn't make roster decisions though. If the playoff race comes down to the last couple of games and Hughes is a major player down the stretch drive, would Green keep him out of the lineup?

I get the feeling that Green is pretty much an assistant GM at this point and that he is being involved in the roster decisions more than most coaches would be. But is that a decision that needs to be made between the management group? or is Green going to have that call?

It's a hypothetical, but it's something that has a small chance of happening.

I would hope Green and JB work together, and review players every day.  

2 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Players with NMC must have protection spots used on them whether you want to protect them or not.

NTC don't affect the expansion draft status

Correct.

NMV means a player cannot move 
NTC  means a player can't be traded

So any player with a NTC can still be left unprotected and be claimed and moved to an expansion team, whereby one with a NMC can't.

29 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Benning doesn't make roster decisions though. If the playoff race comes down to the last couple of games and Hughes is a major player down the stretch drive, would Green keep him out of the lineup?

I get the feeling that Green is pretty much an assistant GM at this point and that he is being involved in the roster decisions more than most coaches would be. But is that a decision that needs to be made between the management group? or is Green going to have that call?

It's a hypothetical, but it's something that has a small chance of happening.

As long as Michigan beats a lower ranked team in the first round he shouldn't be done until at least March 16, and if he misses the back to back on the 17th and 18th then there are only 9 games left (no playoffs). 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Oh, well then that's not helpful to the Canucks. I can see Edler pushing hard for a NMC, just so he doesn't get snagged by SEA. C'mon Eddie, it's only a 3 hour drive lol

does, erikkson have a ntc, we can convene seattle to take that contract on

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Are players with NTCs exempt from the expansion draft and are they excluded from the protection list?

If so, then give Pettersson and Boeser NTCs with their next contract. I don't want these guys going anywhere.

Can't give RFAs NTCs. Although if the contract goes into their UFA years I think those years can have NTCs on them. 5 years of Nylander's contract has no NTC, but the final year does for instance. So the best he could do was get a verbal agreement from management that they wouldn't trade him.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

That's good. Thanks for the clarification.  I'm glad Quinn will be exempted from the Seattle draft.  I thought Boeser and Gaudette played less than 10 games, and still got a full year off their ELCs.  Am I confusing burning a year off an ELC with the Expansion rules?

Expansion rules are different. 

Do be eligible for expansion Hughes would need to play at least 10 games. Playoff games count toward this total.

However, collage players that sign at the end of the season and play in 1 game have their first year of ELC activated and burned. This is why Boeser is up for a raise and why next year is gaudettes contract year.

If you look back a page Alf there is a much clearer post about this subject

Hope it helps

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Oh, well then that's not helpful to the Canucks. I can see Edler pushing hard for a NMC, just so he doesn't get snagged by SEA. C'mon Eddie, it's only a 3 hour drive lol

I still don't see how Seattle would be interested in a, by then, 35 year old Edler.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Wanless said:

Do be eligible for expansion Hughes would need to play at least 10 games. Playoff games count toward this total.

However, collage players that sign at the end of the season and play in 1 game have their first year of ELC activated and burned. This is why Boeser is up for a raise and why next year is gaudettes contract year.

If you look back a page Alf there is a much clearer post about this subject

Hope it helps

Your post is the easiest I’ve read to understand.  Thanks!  :)

• Cheers 1

On 6/22/2018 at 8:41 PM, Brad Marchand said:

Liked him and Dobson more than the rest. Someone should also tell Sportsnet that his first name is actually "Quinton" and not "Quintin".

Changing the topic, going through the first few pages of the thread...

It's Quintin, not Quinton. LOL

Edited by Grape

2 hours ago, Wanless said:

Do be eligible for expansion Hughes would need to play at least 10 games. Playoff games count...

Based on this, I'd think Hughes plays his first game Vs. Ottawa on March 20th.

On 2/27/2019 at 9:03 AM, Alflives said:

I can see Lockwood and Madden in Utica, where they will both do really well. 

As a Canucks fan I hope they do well Alf.

But I think it bears pointing out that people thought Lind, Gajo and Palmu would LIGHT UP the AHL and, well.....I realize each player is his own project - all I'm saying is let's for once, be reasonable with these kids - not that you aren't being reasonable, but we know many aren't. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

As a Canucks fan I hope they do well Alf.

But I think it bears pointing out that people thought Lind, Gajo and Palmu would LIGHT UP the AHL and, well.....I realize each player is his own project - all I'm saying is let's for once, be reasonable with these kids - not that you aren't being reasonable, but we know many aren't. 

I think the adjustment from junior to the AHL is more difficult than from US college hockey.  The junior guys dominate over 16 year olds.  The college guys dominate over men.  As for Palmu, I think he's just not good enough, regardless of where he plays.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think the adjustment from junior to the AHL is more difficult than from US college hockey.  The junior guys dominate over 16 year olds.  The college guys dominate over men.  As for Palmu, I think he's just not good enough, regardless of where he plays.  

One plus side of junior is there schedule is very similar in sheer volume of games and the scheduling of back to back games on the weekend.

But yes college players usually play higher quality of hockey due to a higher age bracket, but the scheduling of games hits them the hardest..

On 2/27/2019 at 10:03 AM, Alflives said:

Quinn will be here for sure this March.  I can see Lockwood and Madden in Utica, where they will both do really well.  

I agree on Quinn likely to sign and be in Vancouver before the end of the season.

If Lockwood signs he would likely do a stint with the Comets this year and Madden would be best off staying in the NCAA for another year and work on putting on a bit more muscle on that skinny frame of his

• Upvote 3