The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

On 2/27/2019 at 9:03 AM, Alflives said:

Quinn will be here for sure this March.  I can see Lockwood and Madden in Utica, where they will both do really well. 

Does anyone know how Madden is doing for size? Unless he has really packed it on, (I think he was in 150's when drafted), I think another year in College, probably wouldn't hurt him.

On 2/18/2019 at 9:28 PM, NUCKER67 said:

I imagine how lethal our OT unit will be. We may never enter another shootout again lol

Pettersson - Boeser

Hughes

Until all 3 players mature further, those 3 may end up scoring as many as they allow. So, yeah we will see very few shootouts (win or lose). 

I think NHL should make 3-on-3 a bit longer too. Like 10 minutes would be great, but even 7-8 minutes would decide a lot of games.

39 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Does anyone know how Madden is doing for size? Unless he has really packed it on, (I think he was in 150's when drafted), I think another year in College, probably wouldn't hurt him.

one of the primary advantages to the canucks keeping the farm club in utica is that most of their games are a short bus trip away, and with he games mostly clustered around the weekends, it leaves a lot of time for weight training, skills work, and other development needs. college has the same benefits, but the canucks have a greater degree of oversight if the player is working within their system. 

4 hours ago, tas said:

one of the primary advantages to the canucks keeping the farm club in utica is that most of their games are a short bus trip away, and with he games mostly clustered around the weekends, it leaves a lot of time for weight training, skills work, and other development needs. college has the same benefits, but the canucks have a greater degree of oversight if the player is working within their system. 

I'd just rather he's playing top 6 minutes in College next season, instead of every second game in Utica.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 9:03 AM, Alflives said:

Quinn will be here for sure this March.  I can see Lockwood and Madden in Utica, where they will both do really well. 

Quinn, yes. Lockwood will probably sign but im not sure he'll play in the bigs but I could be wrong. I think Madden should stay one more year in college

Bill Muckalt (Michigan's assistant coach) on Quinn Hughes:

"Quinn's a dynamic player and a fantastic young man. He definitely has a bright future ahead of him. At the NHL you have to manage the game and that's the biggest thing for him to focus on moving forward."

"Good thing he doesn't play goal. I love Vancouver and the passion but he is being sort of insulated here , he's not getting the tough questions you guys will be asking.”

With regard to Jim Benning's comment that he is not worried about signing Hughes and how that affects roster protection for the expansion draft, my speculation is that the organization will not play him more than 9 games this season. Following the pattern of Utica defence men call-ups this seasons, Hughes would be practicing with the team for at least a week before been eased into the lineup. He would also be pulled out of the lineup periodically for coaching reasons. 

1 minute ago, Maddogy said:

With regard to Jim Benning's comment that he is not worried about signing Hughes and how that affects roster protection for the expansion draft, my speculation is that the organization will not play him more than 9 games this season. Following the pattern of Utica defence men call-ups this seasons, Hughes would be practicing with the team for at least a week before been eased into the lineup. He would also be pulled out of the lineup periodically for coaching reasons. 

what does 9 games have to do with it?  The second he signs a contract he burns the first year of his ELC.  My understanding is the only way to prevent him from needing protection is if he signs an ATO and plays in Utica for the rest of this season

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

what does 9 games have to do with it?  The second he signs a contract he burns the first year of his ELC.  My understanding is the only way to prevent him from needing protection is if he signs an ATO and plays in Utica for the rest of this season

He if plays 1 game it burns a year of ELC but he has to play 9 games to be eligible for the expansion draft with Seattle, so if he plays less than 9 he'll be automatically protected as a rookie (I think lol)

• Cheers 1

Just now, BO_Scorvat said:

He if plays 1 game it burns a year of ELC but he has to play 9 games to be eligible for the expansion draft with Seattle, so if he plays less than 9 he'll be automatically protected as a rookie (I think lol)

He can play 10

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/how-will-the-seattle-expansion-draft-impact-the-canucks-1.23527414

• Thanks 1

Just now, BO_Scorvat said:

I thought the 9 game threshold is only for returning CHL players back to Jr, but I honestly don't know in this case

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd like to see their information source on that one, because there seems to be a few differing opinions on this situation

If you can find a more reliable source, by all means please post it.

Heres another from Redditthat quotes cbc.

Here's an excerpt from CBC when it came to exempt players for Vegas draft, which will apply to the Seattle draft.

Which players are exempt?

Prospects: All players with less than three years of professional experience are automatically exempt. That means young stars like Edmonton's Connor McDavid and Toronto's Auston Matthews don't need to be protected to remain with their teams. This provision also includes unsigned draft picks and signed players that have yet to appear in a NHL game. A year of professional experience is 10 pro games played under an NHL contract, including regular season and playoffs.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

If you can find a more reliable source, by all means please post it.

Heres another from Redditthat quotes cbc.

Here's an excerpt from CBC when it came to exempt players for Vegas draft, which will apply to the Seattle draft.

Which players are exempt?

Prospects: All players with less than three years of professional experience are automatically exempt. That means young stars like Edmonton's Connor McDavid and Toronto's Auston Matthews don't need to be protected to remain with their teams. This provision also includes unsigned draft picks and signed players that have yet to appear in a NHL game. A year of professional experience is 10 pro games played under an NHL contract, including regular season and playoffs.

I meant their sources, not yours.  I appreciate you posting that link

• Upvote 1