The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

28 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

If you can find a more reliable source, by all means please post it.

Heres another from Redditthat quotes cbc.

Here's an excerpt from CBC when it came to exempt players for Vegas draft, which will apply to the Seattle draft.

Which players are exempt?

Prospects: All players with less than three years of professional experience are automatically exempt. That means young stars like Edmonton's Connor McDavid and Toronto's Auston Matthews don't need to be protected to remain with their teams. This provision also includes unsigned draft picks and signed players that have yet to appear in a NHL game. A year of professional experience is 10 pro games played under an NHL contract, including regular season and playoffs.

He can only play 9 games, as once he plays 10 games it counts as a year of professional experience, stated above. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

what does 9 games have to do with it?  The second he signs a contract he burns the first year of his ELC.  My understanding is the only way to prevent him from needing protection is if he signs an ATO and plays in Utica for the rest of this season

9 games has something to do with Expansion eligibility if I'm not mistaken.

Hughes will play for the Canucks this season. It's just a matter of long term vision vs. short term. Truth is, there's a chance Jim Benning isn't the GM in 3 years so why does he care about that problem?

THey'll play Hughes as many games as they feel he is ready to be in this season and go from there.

1 minute ago, Quantum said:

Hughes will play for the Canucks this season. It's just a matter of long term vision vs. short term. Truth is, there's a chance Jim Benning isn't the GM in 3 years so why does he care about that problem?

THey'll play Hughes as many games as they feel he is ready to be in this season and go from there.

a very small chance I'd say.  Most people, outside of the media morons and their troll followers, think he's completely turned the franchise around in a much shorter timeline than expected

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Quantum said:

A good GM doesn't make stupid decisions because he thinks 3 years from now there is some possibility he won't be employed by the team. That is silly.

A crap GM that is close to being fired, however, is a different story. And JB is not in that category right now.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, beni said:

Looks like they have two regular season games left, and are way down in the standings... Quinn might be here soon, will be fun to watch when he arrives

I just looked at the University of Michigan Wolverines schedule and it looks like Quinn has a game today and tomorrow.

Is his team confirmed to be done after tomorrow?  

Edit: nevermind. I see that his team then plays in the big ten starting March 8th and the final being march 23/24. I guess it depends on how well Michigan does to know when Quinn will be done his year.

Some here said Michigan is not very good this year so does anyone have an idea when they think Quinn will be done?  Thanks!

28 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I just looked at the University of Michigan Wolverines schedule and it looks like Quinn has a game today and tomorrow.

Is his team confirmed to be done after tomorrow?  

Edit: nevermind. I see that his team then plays in the big ten starting March 8th and the final being march 23/24. I guess it depends on how well Michigan does to know when Quinn will be done his year.

Some here said Michigan is not very good this year so does anyone have an idea when they think Quinn will be done?  Thanks!

Ideally they make it to the semi-finals and play the 16th. Then he can play nearly all the remaining Canuck games and not be eligible for the expansion draft.

If they don't make semi's I wouldn't be surprised to see Benning stall and make sure Hughes plays 10 games or less.

21 minutes ago, cory40 said:

When is Quinn available? Monday?

Earliest Canucks may have him is the 13th against the Rangers but I hope they make semi's for expansion precautions. 

Best case scenario is we see him against Ottawa on the 20th.

Edited by RetroCanuck
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Ideally they make it to the semi-finals and play the 16th. Then he can play nearly all the remaining Canuck games and not be eligible for the expansion draft.

If they don't make semi's I wouldn't be surprised to see Benning stall and make sure Hughes plays 10 games or less.

Earliest Canucks may have him is the 13th against the Rangers but I hope they make semi's for expansion precautions. 

Best case scenario is we see him against Ottawa on the 20th.

this hasn't historically been jim's style. he'll get hughes into the lineup asap and navigate the fallout if and when it comes to that. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

this hasn't historically been jim's style. he'll get hughes into the lineup asap and navigate the fallout if and when it comes to that. 

Well this hasn't really happened before where we need to worry about such a thing. Hutton, Stecher, Tanev?, Edler?, Juolevi?, Hughes?. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Well this hasn't really happened before where we need to worry about such a thing. Hutton, Stecher, Tanev?, Edler?, Juolevi?, Hughes?. 

nevertheless, jim's track record suggests that he doesn't sweat those details. 

edit: not to mention, tanev and edler, if still with the team, will be perfect expansion bait, but I really don't think the defence group is going to look all that similar in 2 years. Jim's stated goal is to rebuild it this summer ... if he's bringing back edler, tanev, hutton, stecher and hughes, that doesn't leave a lot of room for rebuilding. 

Edited by tas

1 minute ago, tas said:

nevertheless, jim's track record suggests that he doesn't sweat those details. 

The team's track record this season is that the young prospects or Utica call-ups practise with the team for at least a week before being eased into the lineups. They would also be pulled out of the lineups periodically for coaching reasons.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Maddogy said:

The team's track record this season is that the young prospects or Utica call-ups practise with the team for at least a week before being eased into the lineups. They would also be pulled out of the lineups periodically for coaching reasons.

boeser and gaudette are far better examples of what happens with newly signed star college prospects under jim's watch: they get in immediately. 

1 minute ago, tas said:

boeser and gaudette are far better examples of what happens with newly signed star college prospects under jim's watch: they get in immediately. 

There was no concern with their size nor the expansion draft.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Maddogy said:

Quinn will have to play 11 games with us to be eligible for expansion, so that point is moot.  As for Quinn playing even one year this spring, and burning a year off his ELC, big deal. He's a great player, and he will make a HUGE difference to our team.  He's a young phenom, much like Pettersson.  

3 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

jim has no concern with his size, and I feel like if he was feeling cautious about getting quinn into the lineup he would have used a phrase other than "he'll be on the next flight out."

either way, it's a pointless debate. time will tell what happens. 

Edited by tas

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Quinn will have to play 11 games with us to be eligible for expansion, so that point is moot.  As for Quinn playing even one year this spring, and burning a year off his ELC, big deal. He's a great player, and he will make a HUGE difference to our team.  He's a young phenom, much like Pettersson.  

10 games, not 11

• Upvote 1