Bill Muckalt (Michigan's assistant coach) on Quinn Hughes:

"Quinn's a dynamic player and a fantastic young man. He definitely has a bright future ahead of him. At the NHL you have to manage the game and that's the biggest thing for him to focus on moving forward."

"Good thing he doesn't play goal. I love Vancouver and the passion but he is being sort of insulated here , he's not getting the tough questions you guys will be asking.”

With regard to Jim Benning's comment that he is not worried about signing Hughes and how that affects roster protection for the expansion draft, my speculation is that the organization will not play him more than 9 games this season. Following the pattern of Utica defence men call-ups this seasons, Hughes would be practicing with the team for at least a week before been eased into the lineup. He would also be pulled out of the lineup periodically for coaching reasons. 

1 minute ago, Maddogy said:

With regard to Jim Benning's comment that he is not worried about signing Hughes and how that affects roster protection for the expansion draft, my speculation is that the organization will not play him more than 9 games this season. Following the pattern of Utica defence men call-ups this seasons, Hughes would be practicing with the team for at least a week before been eased into the lineup. He would also be pulled out of the lineup periodically for coaching reasons. 

what does 9 games have to do with it?  The second he signs a contract he burns the first year of his ELC.  My understanding is the only way to prevent him from needing protection is if he signs an ATO and plays in Utica for the rest of this season

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

what does 9 games have to do with it?  The second he signs a contract he burns the first year of his ELC.  My understanding is the only way to prevent him from needing protection is if he signs an ATO and plays in Utica for the rest of this season

He if plays 1 game it burns a year of ELC but he has to play 9 games to be eligible for the expansion draft with Seattle, so if he plays less than 9 he'll be automatically protected as a rookie (I think lol)

• Hydration 1

Just now, BO_Scorvat said:

He if plays 1 game it burns a year of ELC but he has to play 9 games to be eligible for the expansion draft with Seattle, so if he plays less than 9 he'll be automatically protected as a rookie (I think lol)

He can play 10

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/how-will-the-seattle-expansion-draft-impact-the-canucks-1.23527414

• Thanks 1

Just now, BO_Scorvat said:

I thought the 9 game threshold is only for returning CHL players back to Jr, but I honestly don't know in this case

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd like to see their information source on that one, because there seems to be a few differing opinions on this situation

If you can find a more reliable source, by all means please post it.

Heres another from Redditthat quotes cbc.

Here's an excerpt from CBC when it came to exempt players for Vegas draft, which will apply to the Seattle draft.

Which players are exempt?

Prospects: All players with less than three years of professional experience are automatically exempt. That means young stars like Edmonton's Connor McDavid and Toronto's Auston Matthews don't need to be protected to remain with their teams. This provision also includes unsigned draft picks and signed players that have yet to appear in a NHL game. A year of professional experience is 10 pro games played under an NHL contract, including regular season and playoffs.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Upvote 1

They need to sign him to a contract soon so Yahoo Fantasy Hockey can add him to their player pool before playoffs so I can sneakily add him as a keeper.

21 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Here's an excerpt from CBC when it came to exempt players for Vegas draft, which will apply to the Seattle draft.

Prospects: All players with less than three years of professional experience are automatically exempt. That means young stars like Edmonton's Connor McDavid and Toronto's Auston Matthews don't need to be protected to remain with their teams. This provision also includes unsigned draft picks and signed players that have yet to appear in a NHL game. A year of professional experience is 10 pro games played under an NHL contract, including regular season and playoffs.

I meant their sources, not yours.  I appreciate you posting that link

• Upvote 1

Great so we only need to wait until until there is 10-12 games left in the season before signing him ..and then sit him out for 1-3 games and we are good to go for the Seattle expansion draft!

• Hydration 1

28 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

He can only play 9 games, as once he plays 10 games it counts as a year of professional experience, stated above. 

• Hydration 1

Looks like they have two regular season games left, and are way down in the standings... Quinn might be here soon, will be fun to watch when he arrives

2 hours ago, stawns said:

9 games has something to do with Expansion eligibility if I'm not mistaken.

Hughes will play for the Canucks this season. It's just a matter of long term vision vs. short term. Truth is, there's a chance Jim Benning isn't the GM in 3 years so why does he care about that problem?

THey'll play Hughes as many games as they feel he is ready to be in this season and go from there.

1 minute ago, Quantum said:

Hughes will play for the Canucks this season. It's just a matter of long term vision vs. short term. Truth is, there's a chance Jim Benning isn't the GM in 3 years so why does he care about that problem?

THey'll play Hughes as many games as they feel he is ready to be in this season and go from there.

a very small chance I'd say.  Most people, outside of the media morons and their troll followers, think he's completely turned the franchise around in a much shorter timeline than expected

• Hydration 1

CAN'T WAIT CAN'T WAIT CAN'T WAIT! It's finally March!!!!! WOOOOO HUGHESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Quantum said:

A good GM doesn't make stupid decisions because he thinks 3 years from now there is some possibility he won't be employed by the team. That is silly.

A crap GM that is close to being fired, however, is a different story. And JB is not in that category right now.

• Upvote 1