The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

it's interesting to me that ohio state is tops in the conference. I wouldn't normally think of them as a hockey power (though I could be wrong on that, too, since I don't usually follow college hockey anymore than the individual progress of certain prospects). I'll have to take a peek at their roster. 

29 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

We will have 13 games remaining after March 10th

Two sets of back to Back games 

Sounds perfect...sign him up and have him miss the first game while practising with the team and then miss one of each of the back to back's and viola we have a 10 game stint and Seattle has to keep there hands off Hughes...!

22 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’m sure all the NHL teams received a full package with all the expansion rules spelled out in great detail. Unfortunately, I’ve yet to see these details made public (at least when it comes to this stuff related to Hughes)

You would have to hope that management has already looked into this situation for more clarity just so they don't mess up and have to protect him. You would think there would be some kind of 1-800  NHL CBA rule help line for these teams or something of the sort lol. I find it crazy that these multi million dollar franchises are in the dark when it comes to these things. So i'll just take Benning at face value when he says "it won't be an issue".

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

You would have to hope that management has already looked into this situation for more clarity just so they don't mess up and have to protect him. You would think there would be some kind of 1-800  NHL CBA rule help line for these teams or something of the sort lol. I find it crazy that these multi million dollar franchises are in the dark when it comes to these things. So i'll just take Benning at face value when he says "it won't be an issue".

So many are so concerned with his, off-ice, situation.

I'm just excited to see what this kid brings to our team.

Though I'm trying to keep my expectations at a realistic level, I can't help letting in the thought that he could have an equal, all-be-it shorter, impact on this season as Petey.

It's not hard to envision Hughes and Pettersson becoming one of the most feared PP matchups in the NHL.

He should add a whole new dynamic to our blueline and should solidify our first powerplay unit.

I am really excited to see QH here.

• Cheers 2

Unfortunately Michigan has choked all 3 of its last games in OT and as a result has 1 point out of those 3 games rather than 9 points. Goaltending is a major issue. 

However, don't be surprised that UM makes it past the first round as a 6 seed (the 2-6 seeds are all within a few points, Michigan could've gotten the 2 seed if they won the last game). If I had to guess I think Michigan pulls it off (trying not to be biased), and Quinn stays another week.

Minnesota is not too threatening, and Michigan is more talented on paper and on the ice.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Well @Grape if you are wrong we are about a week from his touchdown in Vancouver.

Otherwise two weeks I suppose.

Frankly would rather see him get a few more college playoff games than more games like yesterday.

Yea I would rather see him thrive in the playoffs than enter a tire fire. 

4 hours ago, ABNuck said:

Wouldn't matter what it says now anyways...much like the rule that changed to screw us over on the Luongo deal, I'm positive that whatever rule exists today will be twisted so that the Canucks get screwed come the Expansion Draft...:frantic:

You are right. I think there will always be that kind of divide too. Or else we wouldn't have much to talk or debate about on here haha.

I think some players can handle crazed Canadian markets but there are lots of guys who don't. I think Guddy was overwhelmed with the "attention" he got here. The dude had almost no confidence at the end. By no means am I blaming our fan base. We have the right to be as passionate as we want. But maybe it can explain why some players come here and flop so hard. Eriksson strikes me as that too, he does not like to have the attention on him. I wonder if he would rebound on another team? The American teams have solid fan bases but NHL players say all the time how they like the obscurity of playing for those teams as they can just go out and buy frigging groceries with out getting mobbed.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

You are right. I think there will always be that kind of divide too. Or else we wouldn't have much to talk or debate about on here haha.

I think some players can handle crazed Canadian markets but there are lots of guys who don't. I think Guddy was overwhelmed with the "attention" he got here. The dude had almost no confidence at the end. By no means am I blaming our fan base. We have the right to be as passionate as we want. But maybe it can explain why some players come here and flop so hard. Eriksson strikes me as that too, he does not like to have the attention on him. I wonder if he would rebound on another team? The American teams have solid fan bases but NHL players say all the time how they like the obscurity of playing for those teams as they can just go out and buy frigging groceries with out getting mobbed.

This is consistent as Guddy played in Florida, and Eriksson played in Dallas. Although Loui played in a hockey-crazed market in Boston, I can say from living here that there's equal attention (if not more e.g. Pats) on other major North American sports, that I think that could have shielded him from the immense pressure Vancouver has.   

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

How can a league consider itself legitimately fair and impartial, when it retroactively punishes teams for newly written rules?  

I believe that the league will make allowances if Luongo retires. Partially because, in contract law, they may have trouble making that work because it was a contract, accepted by the league in good faith. There is certain legal precedence that I can't see either side wanting to test.

Most likely scenario is, as happened with NJ a few years ago, the league would quietly pass a ruling granting circumstantial relief.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I believe that the league will make allowances if Luongo retires. Partially because, in contract law, they may have trouble making that work because it was a contract, accepted by the league in good faith. There is certain legal precedence that I can't see either side wanting to test.

Most likely scenario is, as happened with NJ a few years ago, the league would quietly pass a ruling granting circumstantial relief.

the canucks have a better chance of sweeping tampa for the cup this year for the league to make exemption for the canucks

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, suitup said:

This is consistent as Guddy played in Florida, and Eriksson played in Dallas. Although Loui played in a hockey-crazed market in Boston, I can say from living here that there's equal attention (if not more e.g. Pats) on other major North American sports, that I think that could have shielded him from the immense pressure Vancouver has.   

You bet, should have been more clear with that. Boston is a big hockey town. But as you said NHL takes a back seat to the NBA and NFL. 

5 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Most other markets are keenly positive and are aggressive in defending their players and teams.

Boston has a prime example of jounalists who staunchly support their team.

I can’t agree with that. Any hockey market where the team isn’t winning has negative media. The reason Boston is a happy place right now is because they are winning. It wasn’t so pretty a few years ago when the canned chia and made some questionable draft choices that summer. When a team is losing the swamp starts to rise. 

Just look at the media In Edmonton, or Montreal last year, remember what Toronto was like in there rebuild. Look at Ottawa right now.  Heck even flames are getting ripped apart for there latest 3 game losing streak and they are first in the conference. Monahan is just getting shredded, being called useless and soft since he dried up in the last 17 games. And the guys already got 30 on the year.

Hockey markets have high expectations, when those expectations aren’t being met the media lets you know. This isn’t just a Vancouver thing. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, SilentSam said:

It’s not the pressure from the attention in the Vancouver...  it’s the quick negative judgment from the journalism here.

Most other markets are keenly positive and are aggressive in defending their players and teams.

Boston has a prime example of jounalists who staunchly support their team.

100% - I've noticed this very clearly since moving to Calgary 7 years ago.  The hockey media here is like Pravda - barely ever anything negative written about the team or ownership.

• Upvote 2