The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Pepe Silvia said:

Disagree with the 3 forwards on PP1.  

I'd just like to see Pettersson and Boeser in their spots on the half boards and Bo/Baer in front of the net/goal line. Hughes on the point. I don't think Hughes is a shoot first player, which is good. He just needs to feed the two shooters.

His shot needs to be a threat though in order to create the space Boeser and Petersson needs. But his skating might just do the trick. Need to see him in that position

9 minutes ago, Grape said:

Yes but even if you're playing to win playing Hughes 13 mins in regulation isn't playing to win.

Let's be honest who actually thinks Hughes is walking into the lineup as by far the worst Canucks defenseman and as a result plays by far the least. He's being sheltered for other reasons, not because playing him gives us less of a chance to win. 

I wasn't referring to Hughes.  I was responding to somebody who was complaining about players having to earn their ice time and being placed in positions to succeed.

Green is bringing Hughes along.  He's doing fine.  He's only played 2 games.    

• Cheers 1

C'mon they blew the lead with Quinn on the bench, all this 'they have a responsibility to win' BS got thrown out as soon as the game was tied.  How do you know how QH will respond in clutch time if he never gets a chance to prove himself?  I love Green but benching QH in the third was a mistake and it nearly cost him the game, Hutton and Stecher weren't playing well he should of seen the pine instead.  There was nothing to suggest that QH was a liability that night.  If this was Baumgartner's call, man oh man...

• Cheers 2

44 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

C'mon they blew the lead with Quinn on the bench, all this 'they have a responsibility to win' BS got thrown out as soon as the game was tied.  How do you know how QH will respond in clutch time if he never gets a chance to prove himself?  I love Green but benching QH in the third was a mistake and it nearly cost him the game, Hutton and Stecher weren't playing well he should of seen the pine instead.  There was nothing to suggest that QH was a liability that night.  If this was Baumgartner's call, man oh man...

Yup, if we'd only played QH a couple more shifts in his 2nd game, we probably would have won the cup this year. :frantic::angry:

200.gif

Edited by aGENT
  • Haha 4

48 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I think you're talking to the Sutter is a core piece crowd so its a totally different mindset on that side of the earth. 

• Upvote 1

Lots of Coaches and GMs here lol  'Sall good, I like doing this stuff too

It seems it was just yesterday when Brian Burke exclaimed "that is a small body gentlemen" when Hughes hit the stage. lol ...and now Hughes is on the team and playing like we all thought he would. One thing I noticed, his legs seem slightly long for his body. Is it possible that Hughes could have a growth spurt (another 2-3 inches) in the next couple of years? Really excited to see who the Canucks get at the Draft this year. 

20 hours ago, aGENT said:

We could very well trade Demko, so while he won't see 80+, he could very well see 60+.

Now the Canucks are trading Demko?

Please tell me more.  I mean...it would be a smart move when he is a top prospect goalie and you already have a 29 year old who possibly, just this year, might be able to be a starter.

No offense agent...but lately you type some doozies.  First you say OVER and OVER you think Eriksson will just WALK away from 9 million dollars. Now Demko will be traded.

What other nuggets have you got??  :frantic:

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Please tell me more.  I mean...it would be a smart move when he is a top prospect goalie and you already have a 29 year old who possibly, just this year, might be able to be a starter.

No offense agent...but lately you type some doozies.  First you say OVER and OVER you think Eriksson will just WALK away from 9 million dollars. Now Demko will be traded.

In haven't actually said any of those things will happen there captain hyperbole.

• Haha 1

Obviously Hughes has enormous offensive potential, but I've been trying to see how his defensive game looks as well.

I think I can split it into two aspects--one where he's strong and another where he still needs some work.

I think Hughes is great when he's attacking the puck on defense. I've seen a few times where Hughes battled for the puck in front of the net or on the boards and came out with the puck.

I think he still needs to work on his spacing and positioning when he's not attacking the puck. A few players on the rush have been able to get quality chances on net against Hughes.

I'm super excited for this kid because I know these defensive skills are teachable and he's an eager learner, so he'll pick them up with more time and experience.

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Obviously Hughes has enormous offensive potential, but I've been trying to see how his defensive game looks as well.

I think I can split it into two aspects--one where he's strong and another where he still needs some work.

I think Hughes is great when he's attacking the puck on defense. I've seen a few times where Hughes battled for the puck in front of the net or on the boards and came out with the puck.

I think he still needs to work on his spacing and positioning when he's not attacking the puck. A few players on the rush have been able to get quality chances on net against Hughes.

I'm super excited for this kid because I know these defensive skills are teachable and he's an eager learner, so he'll pick them up with more time and experience.

I'm glad you pointed that out. Many smaller defenseman have issues with this due to them already having a disadvantage of being small, covering less space, meaning more space for the opposing team.

Green should make Hughes study Troy Stecher on how to defend and use the body and positioning in ways to limit those chances for the opposing teams, especially when the player comes down the line with speed and momentum.  Hughes already has tremendous amount of speed, so catching up to the play isn't the problem, but if he gets his spacing right, he wouldn't need to in the first place.

Hughes has looked solid in his first 3 games. I'd give him a solid 8/10.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

This is a real issue ! The ED means the Canucks have to make a tough choice. Markstrom or Demko. It's almost decision time. Both look good ( great on occasion ). You have to have a plan to deal with this issue ! If there was no ED, @aGENT's thoughts would be odd, but these are not 'normal' times !

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

@#$%'ing Green! Incrementally increasing his ice time as he gains experience and trust. Almost like he's coaching him to succeed, the clueless moron! We should string him up and hire a real coach!

In my opinion Green is a really good coach. Especially with the young guys. He’s done a great job with Virtanen, who until Green got ahold of looked a bit lost. Gotta give him at least one more year to figure things out. 

On 4/2/2019 at 11:11 AM, aGENT said:

Yup, if we'd only played QH a couple more shifts in his 2nd game, we probably would have won the cup this year. :frantic::angry:

200.gif

He didn't say anything about winning the Cup. Hyperbole doesn't help you make a point.

In the big picture it's not a big deal that he barely played in the 3rd period that game, doesn't mean that it wasn't the wrong decision.

4 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

He didn't say anything about winning the Cup. Hyperbole doesn't help you make a point.

In the big picture it's not a big deal that he barely played in the 3rd period that game, doesn't mean that it wasn't the wrong decision.

Oh I think the hyperbole was exactly my point.