The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

On 4/3/2019 at 9:33 AM, aGENT said:

@#$%'ing Green! Incrementally increasing his ice time as he gains experience and trust. Almost like he's coaching him to succeed, the clueless moron! We should string him up and hire a real coach!

How dare he use a tried and true method of developing a player and overall team chemistry when throwing them to the wolves ala the Oilers is clearly superior way of player and team development.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

How dare he use a tried and true method of developing a player and overall team chemistry when throwing them to the wolves ala the Oilers is clearly superior way of player and team development.

Justin Schultz can speak for the exemplary approach that Travis Green is too dumb to follow.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Interesting to hear that Green is finally trying out Jake on left wing tonight. So Green is not totally inflexible about putting players on their opposite side.

Hughes has stated that he is comfortable playing on the right side, as he is more inclined to shoot from the better angle.

Maybe Hughes will get a chance on the right side, since he appears to be skilled enough to make and receive passes from either side. If it works out, no more log jam on LD, and a gaping hole on RD filled.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Interesting to hear that Green is finally trying out Jake on left wing tonight. So Green is not totally inflexible about putting players on their opposite side.

Hughes has stated that he is comfortable playing on the right side, as he is more inclined to shoot from the better angle.

Maybe Hughes will get a chance on the right side, since he appears to be skilled enough to make and receive passes from either side. If it works out, no more log jam on LD, and a gaping hole on RD filled.

Haha...no green is not inflexible at all.  Waits till the Canucks are well out of the playoffs and competing for worst team again and has two games left in the season.....so with all his flexibility he does something different.

Hahah....good god.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Apparently you don't feel that this is a good time to experiment. So when do you feel would be an appropriate time - while they were still fighting for a playoff position?

You read my post wrong.

Most of this season was the time to experiment. Green just refused to do so until the last couple games of the season.

Edit: no reason why green could not have done what you stated many games ago. But he is a horn head.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

9 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Half the Canuck roster is American now it will be hard to know who to cheer for at Worlds. 

Not hard at all for me. I hate americans except for the ones on the Canucks. I mean....trump is their boss lmao.

I will cheer for Canadians to win the worlds, Olympics, and world juniors every year.

27 minutes ago, GoldenAlien said:

Hughes got 21:42 TOI and 2:10 PP time in the season finale, compared to 15:36 TOI and no PP time in his debut just four games ago.  His skating and breakouts are sublime, but it's the way he's handled the increasing responsibility each game that impresses me the most.  What distinguishes a good prospect from a great one is their development curve -- look at the improvement that Petey made from his draft year to D+1, then to the NHL.  Excited to see what Hughes will look like after a full summer of training and another go at World's.

Absolutely.  It's a shame the season's over because he was just getting started ...  His defending is improving at nearly the same rate as his breakouts too.  Lots of good sticks and takeaways today.  This guy is at least as smart as Petey.  Back to back Calders coming up!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 4/5/2019 at 4:20 PM, Boudrias said:

Half the Canuck roster is American now it will be hard to know who to cheer for at Worlds. 

Country first. Always

I'll be watching all the team USA games tho. Just to watch Hughes play. And Demko but he'll likely be back up goalie. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 1

I am shocked that some posters think he won’t be this good right away. Wrong, top end talents like Petey, Hughes and Boeser perform straightaway. It’s not even that big of an adjustment for them to step in and play in the big league. The real challenge is the grind of the season and the physicality. 

Our top young talents almost all have jumped in and performed immediately, mostly D + 1. So are the other teams top end talents, the waiting game for them to “develope” is sometimes over managing, or over coaching, whatever you call it. 

If a young top end talent doesn’t make the team then they are usually mistakes.  We seem to have one like that in the system now, but I hope he can still make it work somehow, there is still hope. 

Watching Hughes for five games, I do believe we finally have a bonfide top pairing PP QB. We waited for decades to have someone like Hughes.