The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

On 4/8/2019 at 1:38 PM, GoldenAlien said:

Some perspective for how well he performed in his short stint:

Funny thing is he could have had like 2-3 more points easily. Sooo happy we have this guy for years to come. He changes how entire teams have to look at our team. So quick and smart. Only thing he really needs to improve is his shot and get a bit stronger. 

More fun finding old school comparables for the nux core. Did Petey as Jean Ratelle in his thread and did Brock as Frank Mahovalich in his thread. For Quinn we won't go quite as far back. Phil Housley. 5 foot 10 and 185 lbs. Quinn will likely play at about that weight in a couple years. Phil played 20 years for Buffalo calgary New jersey Chicago and Toronto. 1495 games 1232 points. High impact offensive Dman. 

13 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

More fun finding old school comparables for the nux core. Did Petey as Jean Ratelle in his thread and did Brock as Frank Mahovalich in his thread. For Quinn we won't go quite as far back. Phil Housley. 5 foot 10 and 185 lbs. Quinn will likely play at about that weight in a couple years. Phil played 20 years for Buffalo calgary New jersey Chicago and Toronto. 1495 games 1232 points. High impact offensive Dman. 

I have seen Hughes compared to 2 old school US d men, Housley and Leetch.  Both HOFers and phenomenal.  There is one other guy, not for the offence, but defence.  Scott Niedemeyer.  Tireless puck hound with an active stick and physical for his size.  

As for Hughes' skating, I see the same electrifying elements of Housley, but Housley sometimes took a nap without possession.  Hughes doesn't seem too.  That is what reminds me of Niedemeyer who never looked tired even in his late 30's playing.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Really happy to hear Quinn talk about playing the right side as easily as the left.  We have to have guys that can play well on either side on defence.  

That became a huge weakness in our depth players during the SCF.  

Remember Ballard trying to turn to his off side....

If Quinn could line up at the RD spot next year, it does give us more flexaliblty in our pairings.  

This is where Hutton and Stecher cant go and Inwould even like to see a Hughes Stecher pairing tried for some PP and late period play.  

A Hutton Hughed pairing could also be interesting.  

If the rumours are true, a Gardiner Hughes pairing on the PP... 

ESPN repicks the 2018 draft:

http://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/26553504/regrading-repicking-2018-nhl-draft

Here's their top 10 in a redraft:

#1 Dahlin

#2 Svechnikov

#3 Tkachuk

#4 Kotkaniemi

#5 Hughes

Hayton was a surprise pick at No. 5, but this season proved that the Coyotes had a good book on him, as he really jumped out in an injury-shortened season. Now that the team traded Dylan Strome, Hayton’s value only increases. That said, Hughes is a game-changing defenseman and showed as much in his early looks with Vancouver this season. The Coyotes wouldn’t necessarily do anything differently, but Hughes has something a lot of teams could use.

#6 Zadina

#7 Hayton

Our No. 2 NHL affiliated prospect outside of the NHL at midseason, Hughes has fulfilled expectations with a strong sophomore season at Michigan and a solid NHL debut. Hayton would be the best available player at this point in our redraft with Hughes off the board.

#8 Dobson

#9 Kravtsov

#10 Bouchard

I think in a few years Hughes could be top three in his draft class, ahead of Kotkaniemi and one of Tkachuk/ Svechnikov.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/8/2019 at 12:44 PM, SILLY GOOSE said:

I have a feeling that after next season, Quinn Hughes will show most people he should have gone much higher in the draft like EP. Top 3 is my guess.  

There are a lot of supremely talented young Dmen getting their toes wet in the league right now, but Quinn has the potential to be as good as any of them.

In fact, during those 5 games, the thought truly did cross my mind that he may end up being the best player on this team (EP40 included).

Obviously Elias is the Alien Jesus, but Quinn fills a role that simply does more to elevate the dynamic of the entire team. Having this buzzing bee on the backend changes everything for this group.

• Upvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 12:44 PM, SILLY GOOSE said:

I have a feeling that after next season, Quinn Hughes will show most people he should have gone much higher in the draft like EP. Top 3 is my guess.  

I had hughes at 1 .

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:30 AM, nergish said:

There are a lot of supremely talented young Dmen getting their toes wet in the league right now, but Quinn has the potential to be as good as any of them.

In fact, during those 5 games, the thought truly did cross my mind that he may end up being the best player on this team (EP40 included).

Obviously Elias is the Alien Jesus, but Quinn fills a role that simply does more to elevate the dynamic of the entire team. Having this buzzing bee on the backend changes everything for this group.

if your right then play-offs are right around the corner. Like April 2020

• Cheers 1

I know this has probably been said many times before... but watching Quinn on his only shift in OT against Finland just now... absolute game breaker!  Transitions the puck deep into the Finland zone which allows Larkin all sorts of space to square up and shoot. We got an absolute gem, folks.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, smokes said:

Seriously?

Not to descredit Jack or anything, but if Quinn becomes a dominant #1 D man and Jack doesn’t become a #1 Center and be a #1 winger instead, we may have a case because #1 D man are harder to come by instead of #1 wingers. Odds still say Jack will probably be a better player, but you never know. I am happy with Quinn and I also hope Jack has a good career as well.

• Upvote 2

On 5/13/2019 at 12:43 AM, cory40 said:

if your right then play-offs are right around the corner. Like April 2020

Hughes alone won't be enough as both Tanev and Edler will be a year old with even more mileage on their bodies (assuming one or both are still members of the Canucks).  EP being the franchise player that he is, wasn't remotely enough (and that's with Marky have a pretty solid season).  There STILL requires major work on the blueline.  Doing nothing in the offseason last year was a huge mistake (with respect to the blueline).  Not saying it's easy (that's why the GM gets paid the big bucks).

• Cheers 1

Guys, you're forgetting about young Luke (LD).  At 15yrs, he is already an inch taller than his bros and is considered the best skater of the three (WOW).  Kid will be in the 20-21 draft and is projected to be in the top 10 (already).