The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

OJ's timeline will in large part be determined more by the roster vs himself provided he is 100% physically ready at camp.  

It would be more about who he gets to play with vs his own strengths.  Let's just say that Hughes is paired with Tanev.  Edler and Stecher are a good match, that leaves  Schenn is the 3rd pairing RHD guy.  Hutton is not going to be our 4th d man with Edler and Hughes in the lineup.  

That leaves a Hutton Schenn pairing.... uh, no.  We would be screaming into our devices and wishing Pouliot was back.  Mentally, neither Hutton or Schenn have the ability to lead a pairing.  

But an OJ Schenn pairing would be an enticing 3rd pairing IMO.  

For me, it's a Chemistry thing.  Schenn played well with Hughes, I think he would do the same with OJ.  Hughes is a far more dynamic player, but OJ is second most skilled d man on the roster.  Especially when it comes to an improved transition game.  

Trymakin is a wild card and Edler may not be resigned, Tanev could be moved, other FA's could.be added.  Alot could happen, but I could see OJ platooning with another D man for the first half of the year and either an demotion to the AHL or the other d man is moved.  

The D is not staying as is, so this whole thought experiment is flawed from the get go. And if Schenn's in our starting 6, we have problems.

Edited by aGENT

I like Schenn and I think he gets rewarded with a new 1-yerar contract. He brings a lot of physicality to the back end, protects the goalie better than any Canucks Dman I can recall.  He's not the fastest player, but he's smart and gets into good position, he doesn't tend to get caught up ice. I'd prefer Schenn over Biega.

• Upvote 4

On May 19, 2019 at 7:14 AM, Father Ryan said:

With Myers, I wouldn't be surprised if things don't go quite the way a lot of us are thinking, The whole league is shifting towards youth and speed. Myers has neither, especially youth. He very well may end up not getting offered a contract quite as quickly as he (and his agent) are thinking.

What if he sits there for about a week, with no serious offers? You think he might tell his agent to come off of the demands; bring it down a year or two, bring it down $1M or so. Suddenly, his demands of 6Yx6M become 5x5 or even 4.5 x 5. He didn't play all that well last year, when he was pushed into top 2 by injuries; that's another factor that GMs will look at. Also, everyone is well aware of the upcoming Seattle entry draft. Myers will be 32-33 by then. Don't think for a minute any potential contract is going to have a snag when an NMC/NTC is considered

Yes, it could be his last contract, and he will want to get PAID (as you say). But will he price himself out of a job, and have to "settle" for a lesser offer? Could be an interesting development to watch for.

While I don't really want Myers on the Canucks, because I want to have room for our own D prospects like Hughes, OJ, etc, I don't think there's much doubt that there will be a fairly heated bidding war for Myers. His agent would need to screw that up really badly for him not to have a new team very early in July.

1 minute ago, WeneedLumme said:

While I don't really want Myers on the Canucks, because I want to have room for our own D prospects like Hughes, OJ, etc, I don't think there's much doubt that there will be a fairly heated bidding war for Myers. His agent would need to screw that up really badly for him not to have a new team very early in July.

Who would be better for us, considering age, contract, and other stuff: EK or Meyers?

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who would be better for us, considering age, contract, and other stuff: EK or Meyers?

Neither, for the same reason: their contract (with the price and terms that it would take to beat out the competition) would be a big problem when it is time to sign long term contracts for our homegrown stars, who will almost certainly be much better value.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

NHL teams almost never have the chance to sign one of the league's best defensemen without giving anything up but money.

I say go after Erik Karlsson. He is one of the best D in the league and still will be for some more years. It will cost but I don't care...it isn't my money. But obviously you have to keep in mind our own players that will need to get paid.

I have almost zero interest in Myers because he will get too much money for a mediocre defenseman due to their being almost no goods ones available this summer.

11 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Canucks had Quinn Hughes 3rd overall on their draft list. interesting

I'm curious to know if they had Svechnikov or Tkachuk at 2. Svechnikov was definitely the consensus, but I really felt like the Canucks loved Brady. I was so confident the Canucks were taking Hughes if he was there at 7, unless Tkachuk also fell, then I thought it was a coin flip.

On 5/24/2019 at 5:00 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

NHL teams almost never have the chance to sign one of the league's best defensemen without giving anything up but money.

I say go after Erik Karlsson. He is one of the best D in the league and still will be for some more years. It will cost but I don't care...it isn't my money. But obviously you have to keep in mind our own players that will need to get paid.

I have almost zero interest in Myers because he will get too much money for a mediocre defenseman due to their being almost no goods ones available this summer.

agreed on Meyers, not so much on Karlsson.. 

I never really watched EK while in OTT, but after watching him closely in the '19 playoffs, he didn't look all that great defensively.. I would give the benefit of the doubt & attribute this to nagging injuries, but his injuries record could start looking Tanev - esque soon. 

This is what worries me..maybe a couple good years, then having 10 mill tied up in a guy who plays half the season, and will want term too. he's what, 29? he'll want at least 9 x 6 I'd think..

let the Isles and Philly fight over him, we're nowhere near a contender.. not yet. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, rekker said:

Nice. I will always remember JB's giddinenss when he drafted Hughes. 

And Quinn Hughes, much like Petey, will prove with his play that he's the best player in his draft class.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, rekker said:

Nice. I will always remember JB's giddinenss when he drafted Hughes. 

Heh, he should've been.  Play driving from the backend is something this team has desperately missed since Ehrhoff.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Heh, he should've been.  Play driving from the backend is something this team has desperately missed since Ehrhoff.

The fact he fell to us, coupled with our needs, it was a thing of beauty. I thought for sure Detroit was gonna pick him. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, rekker said:

The fact he fell to us, coupled with our needs, it was a thing of beauty. I thought for sure Detroit was gonna pick him. 

Let's hope Holland keeps up his ways in Edm:). 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Let's hope Holland keeps up his ways in Edm:). 

I like all of us around the hockey world were totally shocked that Hughes made it to us.  This draft I'm hoping Broberg gets to us.  

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like all of us around the hockey world were totally shocked that Hughes made it to us.  This draft I'm hoping Broberg gets to us.  

Broberg will probably get to us, because he's been falling in the rankings all year. Most sources rank him as not worth 10th overall.

Ranked #19 by HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM

Ranked #18 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS

Ranked #21 by ISS HOCKEY

Ranked #12 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY

Ranked #33 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM

Ranked #8 by TSN/McKenzie

At The Athletic, Pronman has him 9th, while Scott Wheeler has him 19th.

He may be the 2nd best D-man (to Byram) in the draft. However, many prefer Soderstrom, who is a RHD:

I think though that the BPA is going to be a forward, so we should go that route and grab a D-man in the 2nd round.

59 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Broberg will probably get to us, because he's been falling in the rankings all year. Most sources rank him as not worth 10th overall.

Ranked #19 by HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM

Ranked #18 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS

Ranked #21 by ISS HOCKEY

Ranked #12 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY

Ranked #33 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM

Ranked #8 by TSN/McKenzie

At The Athletic, Pronman has him 9th, while Scott Wheeler has him 19th.

I don't think that's fair nor accurate to say 'most' sources don't rank him as worth a top 10 pick when an equal number of sources (compiled in the link below) do in fact have him in the top 10. 

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2019-nhl-draft/2019-nhl-draft-rankings/

I'm not trying to argue with you, just pointing out that it is not really accurate to say 'most' rankings indicate he's not worth 10th overall when many, many rankings do have him inside the top 10. 

To me, this just points to the fact that after the top 2(maybe 3 if you consider Byram a lock to be #3) it's really, really open and will depend on individual team scouting analysis' of these guys and even may come down to the combine/interview process that the teams go through with the players. 

It's already been reported that the Canucks have invited several specific players to meet with them over and above the regular meetings they'll hold during the lead-up to the draft. 

It should be interesting whatever happens nevertheless though. I expect to be surprised at this year's draft more than in other drafts. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I don't think that's fair nor accurate to say 'most' sources don't rank him as worth a top 10 pick when an equal number of sources (compiled in the link below) do in fact have him in the top 10. 

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2019-nhl-draft/2019-nhl-draft-rankings/

I'm not trying to argue with you, just pointing out that it is not really accurate to say 'most' rankings indicate he's not worth 10th overall when many, many rankings do have him inside the top 10. 

To me, this just points to the fact that after the top 2(maybe 3 if you consider Byram a lock to be #3) it's really, really open and will depend on individual team scouting analysis' of these guys and even may come down to the combine/interview process that the teams go through with the players. 

It's already been reported that the Canucks have invited several specific players to meet with them over and above the regular meetings they'll hold during the lead-up to the draft. 

It should be interesting whatever happens nevertheless though. I expect to be surprised at this year's draft more than in other drafts. 

Not starting an argument either, but there are 18 sources there (not including the separate N.A. and Euro lists), and only 1/3 of them have Broberg in the top-10. 

On top of that, 3 out of the 6 sources that list Broberg in the top-10 are the 3 of the 4 oldest lists provided - they are from January and February. That would be keeping with a guy who used to be thought of as a top-5 talent, but who has been falling in the rankings.

Of the 14 lists there that are from March 1st on, only 3 of them have Broberg in the top-10. His average ranking in those 14 lists is 14.8.

Edited by D-Money

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

Not starting an argument either, but there are 18 sources there (not including the separate N.A. and Euro lists), and only 1/3 of them have Broberg in the top-10. 

On top of that, 3 out of the 6 sources that list Broberg in the top-10 are the 3 of the 4 oldest lists provided - they are from January and February. That would be keeping with a guy who used to be thought of as a top-5 talent, but who has been falling in the rankings.

Of the 14 lists there that are from March 1st on, only 3 of them have Broberg in the top-10. His average ranking in those 14 lists is 14.8.

This draft especially seems like such a crap shoot that most of these lists are far apart from one another. Either of you could be right or wrong really, especially when not even the people making these lists evidently have any idea on what will happen after the top 2.

4 hours ago, The Lock said:

This draft especially seems like such a crap shoot that most of these lists are far apart from one another. Either of you could be right or wrong really, especially when not even the people making these lists evidently have any idea on what will happen after the top 2.

That's true, but you can also make the argument that it speaks volumes as to how deep this draft class is. With JB & JB calling the shots, I'm very confident as a Nucks fan heading into this draft. B)

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1