Recommended Posts

I like Schenn and I think he gets rewarded with a new 1-yerar contract. He brings a lot of physicality to the back end, protects the goalie better than any Canucks Dman I can recall.  He's not the fastest player, but he's smart and gets into good position, he doesn't tend to get caught up ice. I'd prefer Schenn over Biega.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On May 19, 2019 at 7:14 AM, Father Ryan said:

With Myers, I wouldn't be surprised if things don't go quite the way a lot of us are thinking, The whole league is shifting towards youth and speed. Myers has neither, especially youth. He very well may end up not getting offered a contract quite as quickly as he (and his agent) are thinking.

What if he sits there for about a week, with no serious offers? You think he might tell his agent to come off of the demands; bring it down a year or two, bring it down $1M or so. Suddenly, his demands of 6Yx6M become 5x5 or even 4.5 x 5. He didn't play all that well last year, when he was pushed into top 2 by injuries; that's another factor that GMs will look at. Also, everyone is well aware of the upcoming Seattle entry draft. Myers will be 32-33 by then. Don't think for a minute any potential contract is going to have a snag when an NMC/NTC is considered

Yes, it could be his last contract, and he will want to get PAID (as you say). But will he price himself out of a job, and have to "settle" for a lesser offer? Could be an interesting development to watch for.

While I don't really want Myers on the Canucks, because I want to have room for our own D prospects like Hughes, OJ, etc, I don't think there's much doubt that there will be a fairly heated bidding war for Myers. His agent would need to screw that up really badly for him not to have a new team very early in July.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WeneedLumme said:

While I don't really want Myers on the Canucks, because I want to have room for our own D prospects like Hughes, OJ, etc, I don't think there's much doubt that there will be a fairly heated bidding war for Myers. His agent would need to screw that up really badly for him not to have a new team very early in July.

Who would be better for us, considering age, contract, and other stuff: EK or Meyers?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who would be better for us, considering age, contract, and other stuff: EK or Meyers?

 

Neither, for the same reason: their contract (with the price and terms that it would take to beat out the competition) would be a big problem when it is time to sign long term contracts for our homegrown stars, who will almost certainly be much better value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Who would be better for us, considering age, contract, and other stuff: EK or Meyers?

 

NHL teams almost never have the chance to sign one of the league's best defensemen without giving anything up but money.

 

I say go after Erik Karlsson. He is one of the best D in the league and still will be for some more years. It will cost but I don't care...it isn't my money. But obviously you have to keep in mind our own players that will need to get paid.

 

I have almost zero interest in Myers because he will get too much money for a mediocre defenseman due to their being almost no goods ones available this summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Canucks had Quinn Hughes 3rd overall on their draft list. interesting

 

 

Edited by Rush17
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Canucks had Quinn Hughes 3rd overall on their draft list. interesting

 

 

I'm curious to know if they had Svechnikov or Tkachuk at 2. Svechnikov was definitely the consensus, but I really felt like the Canucks loved Brady. I was so confident the Canucks were taking Hughes if he was there at 7, unless Tkachuk also fell, then I thought it was a coin flip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 5:00 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

NHL teams almost never have the chance to sign one of the league's best defensemen without giving anything up but money.

 

I say go after Erik Karlsson. He is one of the best D in the league and still will be for some more years. It will cost but I don't care...it isn't my money. But obviously you have to keep in mind our own players that will need to get paid.

 

I have almost zero interest in Myers because he will get too much money for a mediocre defenseman due to their being almost no goods ones available this summer.

agreed on Meyers, not so much on Karlsson.. 

 

I never really watched EK while in OTT, but after watching him closely in the '19 playoffs, he didn't look all that great defensively.. I would give the benefit of the doubt & attribute this to nagging injuries, but his injuries record could start looking Tanev - esque soon. 

 

This is what worries me..maybe a couple good years, then having 10 mill tied up in a guy who plays half the season, and will want term too. he's what, 29? he'll want at least 9 x 6 I'd think..

 

let the Isles and Philly fight over him, we're nowhere near a contender.. not yet. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2019 at 9:23 PM, Rush17 said:

Canucks had Quinn Hughes 3rd overall on their draft list. interesting

 

 

Nice. I will always remember JB's giddinenss when he drafted Hughes. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, rekker said:

Nice. I will always remember JB's giddinenss when he drafted Hughes. 

And Quinn Hughes, much like Petey, will prove with his play that he's the best player in his draft class.  

  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rekker said:

Nice. I will always remember JB's giddinenss when he drafted Hughes. 

Heh, he should've been.  Play driving from the backend is something this team has desperately missed since Ehrhoff.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Heh, he should've been.  Play driving from the backend is something this team has desperately missed since Ehrhoff.

The fact he fell to us, coupled with our needs, it was a thing of beauty. I thought for sure Detroit was gonna pick him. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, rekker said:

The fact he fell to us, coupled with our needs, it was a thing of beauty. I thought for sure Detroit was gonna pick him. 

Let's hope Holland keeps up his ways in Edm:). 

  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Let's hope Holland keeps up his ways in Edm:). 

I like all of us around the hockey world were totally shocked that Hughes made it to us.  This draft I'm hoping Broberg gets to us.  

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like all of us around the hockey world were totally shocked that Hughes made it to us.  This draft I'm hoping Broberg gets to us.  

Broberg will probably get to us, because he's been falling in the rankings all year. Most sources rank him as not worth 10th overall.

 

Ranked #19 by HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM

Ranked #18 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS

Ranked #21 by ISS HOCKEY

Ranked #12 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY

Ranked #33 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM

Ranked #8 by TSN/McKenzie

At The Athletic, Pronman has him 9th, while Scott Wheeler has him 19th.

 

He may be the 2nd best D-man (to Byram) in the draft. However, many prefer Soderstrom, who is a RHD:

 

I think though that the BPA is going to be a forward, so we should go that route and grab a D-man in the 2nd round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Broberg will probably get to us, because he's been falling in the rankings all year. Most sources rank him as not worth 10th overall.

 

Ranked #19 by HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM

Ranked #18 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS

Ranked #21 by ISS HOCKEY

Ranked #12 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY

Ranked #33 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM

Ranked #8 by TSN/McKenzie

At The Athletic, Pronman has him 9th, while Scott Wheeler has him 19th.

I don't think that's fair nor accurate to say 'most' sources don't rank him as worth a top 10 pick when an equal number of sources (compiled in the link below) do in fact have him in the top 10. 

 

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2019-nhl-draft/2019-nhl-draft-rankings/

 

I'm not trying to argue with you, just pointing out that it is not really accurate to say 'most' rankings indicate he's not worth 10th overall when many, many rankings do have him inside the top 10. 

 

To me, this just points to the fact that after the top 2(maybe 3 if you consider Byram a lock to be #3) it's really, really open and will depend on individual team scouting analysis' of these guys and even may come down to the combine/interview process that the teams go through with the players. 

 

It's already been reported that the Canucks have invited several specific players to meet with them over and above the regular meetings they'll hold during the lead-up to the draft. 

 

It should be interesting whatever happens nevertheless though. I expect to be surprised at this year's draft more than in other drafts. 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I don't think that's fair nor accurate to say 'most' sources don't rank him as worth a top 10 pick when an equal number of sources (compiled in the link below) do in fact have him in the top 10. 

 

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2019-nhl-draft/2019-nhl-draft-rankings/

 

I'm not trying to argue with you, just pointing out that it is not really accurate to say 'most' rankings indicate he's not worth 10th overall when many, many rankings do have him inside the top 10. 

 

To me, this just points to the fact that after the top 2(maybe 3 if you consider Byram a lock to be #3) it's really, really open and will depend on individual team scouting analysis' of these guys and even may come down to the combine/interview process that the teams go through with the players. 

 

It's already been reported that the Canucks have invited several specific players to meet with them over and above the regular meetings they'll hold during the lead-up to the draft. 

 

It should be interesting whatever happens nevertheless though. I expect to be surprised at this year's draft more than in other drafts. 

Not starting an argument either, but there are 18 sources there (not including the separate N.A. and Euro lists), and only 1/3 of them have Broberg in the top-10. 

 

On top of that, 3 out of the 6 sources that list Broberg in the top-10 are the 3 of the 4 oldest lists provided - they are from January and February. That would be keeping with a guy who used to be thought of as a top-5 talent, but who has been falling in the rankings.

 

Of the 14 lists there that are from March 1st on, only 3 of them have Broberg in the top-10. His average ranking in those 14 lists is 14.8.

 

Edited by D-Money

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, D-Money said:

Not starting an argument either, but there are 18 sources there (not including the separate N.A. and Euro lists), and only 1/3 of them have Broberg in the top-10. 

 

On top of that, 3 out of the 6 sources that list Broberg in the top-10 are the 3 of the 4 oldest lists provided - they are from January and February. That would be keeping with a guy who used to be thought of as a top-5 talent, but who has been falling in the rankings.

 

Of the 14 lists there that are from March 1st on, only 3 of them have Broberg in the top-10. His average ranking in those 14 lists is 14.8.

This draft especially seems like such a crap shoot that most of these lists are far apart from one another. Either of you could be right or wrong really, especially when not even the people making these lists evidently have any idea on what will happen after the top 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, The Lock said:

This draft especially seems like such a crap shoot that most of these lists are far apart from one another. Either of you could be right or wrong really, especially when not even the people making these lists evidently have any idea on what will happen after the top 2.

That's true, but you can also make the argument that it speaks volumes as to how deep this draft class is. With JB & JB calling the shots, I'm very confident as a Nucks fan heading into this draft. B)

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2019 at 11:33 PM, 3rdGenCanuck said:

I'm curious to know if they had Svechnikov or Tkachuk at 2. Svechnikov was definitely the consensus, but I really felt like the Canucks loved Brady. I was so confident the Canucks were taking Hughes if he was there at 7, unless Tkachuk also fell, then I thought it was a coin flip.

Just a hunch, my guess of JB’s list of the top 7 picks base on what he said in the interview right after last year’s draft and also the video above. He did mention that the top 7 players that got picked is the top 7 players he has on his list, just in a different order. And we know he has Quinn Hughes at 3:

 

1). Rasmus Dahlin - consensus #1, absolutely no doubt

2). Jesperi Kotkaniemi - best center in the draft, and plays a strong 2-way game, a hunch tells me he is the kind of player JB will want on the team to solidify the cantering depth. Remember, as of last June, the organization was still hoping EP could be a top line center, he was view as someone who will start on the wing and eventually transition himself to the center position. JB would want to make sure there is another legitimate Center-man to form a 1-2 punch with Horvat, therefore my guess Kotkaniemi at 2 instead of Svechnikov.

3). Quinn Hughes - as said in the video they had him at third and was ecstatic when he was available at #7.

4). Brady Tkachuk - Tough, hardnose, physical player with great skill, who could become a Center one day. Definitely have him high on their list and I feel like JB and the co isn’t super high on Svechnikov (just a hunch).

5). Andrej Svechnikov - for some reason, I don’t feel like the Canucks would be very high on him (atleast I wasn’t, because last year I didn’t want the Canucks end up at #2 after the lottery). I see him as more of a Rick Nash (don’t get me wrong, a very good player), but there are going to be better players in this draft class (top center and top d-man are harder to come by) than he will be when they all reach their prime. He was ranked high in most rankings because of his NHL ready body and able to step in and contribute right way. Personally, I was not high on him, and I don’t think the Canucks were as well (just a hunch).

6). Filip Zadina - I think the Canucks would still have Zadina behind Svechnikov on their list. But I do believe the Canucks have Zadina ranked higher than Hayton.

7). Barrett Hayton - now imagine if the first 6 players are gone and at #7 the Canucks select Hayton instead of Boqvist, Wahlstrom, Bouchard or Dobson, what the reaction of this pick would be like on CDC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.