Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Just a hunch, my guess of JB’s list of the top 7 picks base on what he said in the interview right after last year’s draft and also the video above. He did mention that the top 7 players that got picked is the top 7 players he has on his list, just in a different order. And we know he has Quinn Hughes at 3:

 

1). Rasmus Dahlin - consensus #1, absolutely no doubt

2). Jesperi Kotkaniemi - best center in the draft, and plays a strong 2-way game, a hunch tells me he is the kind of player JB will want on the team to solidify the cantering depth. Remember, as of last June, the organization was still hoping EP could be a top line center, he was view as someone who will start on the wing and eventually transition himself to the center position. JB would want to make sure there is another legitimate Center-man to form a 1-2 punch with Horvat, therefore my guess Kotkaniemi at 2 instead of Svechnikov.

3). Quinn Hughes - as said in the video they had him at third and was ecstatic when he was available at #7.

4). Brady Tkachuk - Tough, hardnose, physical player with great skill, who could become a Center one day. Definitely have him high on their list and I feel like JB and the co isn’t super high on Svechnikov (just a hunch).

5). Andrej Svechnikov - for some reason, I don’t feel like the Canucks would be very high on him (atleast I wasn’t, because last year I didn’t want the Canucks end up at #2 after the lottery). I see him as more of a Rick Nash (don’t get me wrong, a very good player), but there are going to be better players in this draft class (top center and top d-man are harder to come by) than he will be when they all reach their prime. He was ranked high in most rankings because of his NHL ready body and able to step in and contribute right way. Personally, I was not high on him, and I don’t think the Canucks were as well (just a hunch).

6). Filip Zadina - I think the Canucks would still have Zadina behind Svechnikov on their list. But I do believe the Canucks have Zadina ranked higher than Hayton.

7). Barrett Hayton - now imagine if the first 6 players are gone and at #7 the Canucks select Hayton instead of Boqvist, Wahlstrom, Bouchard or Dobson, what the reaction of this pick would be like on CDC.

That's totally fair and could very well be correct. My best guess would be:

1) Dahlin

2) Tkachuk

3) Hughes

4) Svechnikov

5) Kotkaniemi

6) Zadina

7) Hayton

Similar to you having a hunch that the Canucks weren't high on Svech, I just have a hunch they were obsessed with Brady. The way that guy carries himself, there's no way he didn't interview the best out of all the prospects. He is a total gamer, provides the physicality the Canucks so desperately need, and he obviously had tons of untapped offensive potential heading into the draft. I could see Tkachuk, Svech, and Kotkaniemi in any order on the Canucks list and not be surprised though. I do disagree a little about your take on Svech. I actually live about 20 minutes away from Barrie, so I got to see him play on the regular in junior. There aren't any holes in his game... zero. Everyone knew about his offensive ability, but nobody was really commenting on how he was Barrie's best penalty killer by a mile. He's strong as an ox, reliable everywhere, skates like the wind, and has an elite finishing ability. Leading up to the draft last year I compared him to Malkin on the wing. I totally stand by that and I'll be shocked if he doesn't have a long, fantastic NHL career.

 

Regardless though, I am so pumped that we have Hughes! Canucks were totally justified in having him at #3 and I'm pumped the hockey gods did us a solid and dropped Pettersson and Hughes in our lap. Now if only we can make it 3 years in a row and grab Zegras at 10 this year ;)

 

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:17 AM, Alflives said:

And Quinn Hughes, much like Petey, will prove with his play that he's the best player in his draft class.  

I agree 100% And I bet by mid year we have more people on board with this statement. And I took lots of hate for saying this before the draft last year! Even before the lottery!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, cory40 said:

I agree 100% And I bet by mid year we have more people on board with this statement. And I took lots of hate for saying this before the draft last year! Even before the lottery!

Hughes is a truly unique talent and though Dahlin is the most traditional Dman and clearly the more NHL ready and likely a superstar, in some ways where Hughes goes may be more interesting in terms of career as he may change the way his entire team plays and create so many zone coverage issues for other teams as he won't do what traditional logic will say he would do.   Could see him by season three or five being a perennial top three or four in team scoring like some Dmen were back in the 80s on the upper teams.

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should wait to see how he plays in his 6th EVER NHL game haha. Proclaiming him KING now is a bit premature....:frantic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So, all things considered, what type of numbers do y'all think Hughes will put up next season?

I think I'd guess 25-35 points, but I tend to guess on the safe side. I wouldn't be stunned if he can crack 40.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So, all things considered, what type of numbers do y'all think Hughes will put up next season?

60 +

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2019 at 9:36 AM, 3rdGenCanuck said:

That's totally fair and could very well be correct. My best guess would be:

1) Dahlin

2) Tkachuk

3) Hughes

4) Svechnikov

5) Kotkaniemi

6) Zadina

7) Hayton

Similar to you having a hunch that the Canucks weren't high on Svech, I just have a hunch they were obsessed with Brady. The way that guy carries himself, there's no way he didn't interview the best out of all the prospects. He is a total gamer, provides the physicality the Canucks so desperately need, and he obviously had tons of untapped offensive potential heading into the draft. I could see Tkachuk, Svech, and Kotkaniemi in any order on the Canucks list and not be surprised though. I do disagree a little about your take on Svech. I actually live about 20 minutes away from Barrie, so I got to see him play on the regular in junior. There aren't any holes in his game... zero. Everyone knew about his offensive ability, but nobody was really commenting on how he was Barrie's best penalty killer by a mile. He's strong as an ox, reliable everywhere, skates like the wind, and has an elite finishing ability. Leading up to the draft last year I compared him to Malkin on the wing. I totally stand by that and I'll be shocked if he doesn't have a long, fantastic NHL career.

 

Regardless though, I am so pumped that we have Hughes! Canucks were totally justified in having him at #3 and I'm pumped the hockey gods did us a solid and dropped Pettersson and Hughes in our lap. Now if only we can make it 3 years in a row and grab Zegras at 10 this year ;)

 

If they loved Brady, I wonder what went wrong with the Matthew interview.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alflives said:

60 +

You piqued my curiosity, Alf. The last defenseman to reach 60 points as a rookie was Nicklas Lidstrom, who did it 27 years ago in 1991-92 with exactly 60 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

You piqued my curiosity, Alf. The last defenseman to reach 60 points as a rookie was Nicklas Lidstrom, who did it 27 years ago in 1991-92 with exactly 60 points.

Hughes better than Lidstrom confirmed.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2019 at 9:36 AM, 3rdGenCanuck said:

That's totally fair and could very well be correct. My best guess would be:

1) Dahlin

2) Tkachuk

3) Hughes

4) Svechnikov

5) Kotkaniemi

6) Zadina

7) Hayton

Similar to you having a hunch that the Canucks weren't high on Svech, I just have a hunch they were obsessed with Brady. The way that guy carries himself, there's no way he didn't interview the best out of all the prospects. He is a total gamer, provides the physicality the Canucks so desperately need, and he obviously had tons of untapped offensive potential heading into the draft. I could see Tkachuk, Svech, and Kotkaniemi in any order on the Canucks list and not be surprised though. I do disagree a little about your take on Svech. I actually live about 20 minutes away from Barrie, so I got to see him play on the regular in junior. There aren't any holes in his game... zero. Everyone knew about his offensive ability, but nobody was really commenting on how he was Barrie's best penalty killer by a mile. He's strong as an ox, reliable everywhere, skates like the wind, and has an elite finishing ability. Leading up to the draft last year I compared him to Malkin on the wing. I totally stand by that and I'll be shocked if he doesn't have a long, fantastic NHL career.

 

Regardless though, I am so pumped that we have Hughes! Canucks were totally justified in having him at #3 and I'm pumped the hockey gods did us a solid and dropped Pettersson and Hughes in our lap. Now if only we can make it 3 years in a row and grab Zegras at 10 this year ;)

 

Wasn't there some rumor that if Arizona had not taken Barrett Hayton, that the Canucks would've taken him at 7?

 

If I recall correctly, they had him rated very high and were seriously contemplating taking him as they thought he was another Bo Horvat kind of player.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kids probably getting the absolute best training there is during the summer, with his dad having all those connections and such.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Wasn't there some rumor that if Arizona had not taken Barrett Hayton, that the Canucks would've taken him at 7?

 

If I recall correctly, they had him rated very high and were seriously contemplating taking him as they thought he was another Bo Horvat kind of player.

I read that Benning had Hughes very high (somewhere around 3/4). 

JB also said in his press conference that he’s been lucky since even though they have had no luck at the lottery, all of their guys have fallen to them. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So, all things considered, what type of numbers do y'all think Hughes will put up next season?

60 points. 

 

I tend to over-estimate so probably 35-45 points?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

If they loved Brady, I wonder what went wrong with the Matthew interview.

Probably nothing. I got a sense that they drafted Juolevi over M. Tkachuk based on need as they deemed Tkachuk = Juolevi.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

What's he going to do in the second half of the season?

Zepp, you've swung on the pendulum! This time last year you were preaching that we should allow Petey some space, and if he scored 20 and 20 that would be a monster rookie year.

Though I guess Hughes has already shaken off his NHL entry jitters, so I'm with you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nzan said:

Zepp, you've swung on the pendulum! This time last year you were preaching that we should allow Petey some space, and if he scored 20 and 20 that would be a monster rookie year.

Though I guess Hughes has already shaken off his NHL entry jitters, so I'm with you. 

I was just having fun with Alf.   I would think a highly successful rookie season for Hughes from a point total would be 5 to 8 goals and about 25 assists.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

If they loved Brady, I wonder what went wrong with the Matthew interview.

They are fairly similar players, but they are very different people. Brady's intangibles are off the charts. He just finished his rookie season in Ottawa and he's already viewed as the leader of that team. He won't have to wait long before he gets the "C".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Wasn't there some rumor that if Arizona had not taken Barrett Hayton, that the Canucks would've taken him at 7?

 

If I recall correctly, they had him rated very high and were seriously contemplating taking him as they thought he was another Bo Horvat kind of player.

As @ruilin96 has already mentioned, after the draft JB stated that the first 7 players picked were the top 7 players they had ranked on their board. So yes, they definitely had him rated highly and since he was rated in their top 7, he was obviously a player they were considering with the 7th pick. That's where the rumour came from... It was never the Canucks would have taken him at 7, it was that they could have taken him at 7. Analysts just mentioned that other teams such as the Canucks were high on Hayton to justify the Coyotes pick because it's very possible he wouldn't have made it to them if they traded down. While I haven't seen the board, based on pre and post draft comments, as well as now knowing Hughes was #3, I would be willing to bet quite a bit of money that Zadina/Hayton or Hayton/Zadina were 6 and 7 on the Canucks 2018 draft board.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.