The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

56 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

So this kid might actually be able to shoot!!! We saw that he had a knack for opening the lanes and getting it through to the net. If he can continue to improve his shot power, man oh man is this kid going to be good for us! 

LOL that was a perfectly placed muffin that Quick misplayed. Hopefully Quinn does improve his shot, but his skating is so sublime, even a quick wrister that hits the net would be just as effective

Obviously great shot to score, another nice slapper that almost leaked through Quick as well but that pass to Tanev on the rush was beautiful that not many guys try and make. In years passed we would have easily flubbed that nice 3-on-2 chance but Boeser to Hughes to Tanev of all people was beautiful to watch.

This kid is already an X-factor, let's just hope he can keep it up for the full 82 game stretch and not get injured. D-men especially have a tough workload over the whole season and especially rookies tend to wear off down the stretch. We saw it in Pettersson and I'm sure we'll see it in Hughes as well but let's just hope he doesn't become a defensive liability in the last 20-30 games because I can see teams take advantage of his size. He did well to shield Toffoli from tearing into the blue paint though.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So, now that Hughes has added a canon of a shot to his already dynamic offensive repertoire, why exactly is he not on the first unit PP?

I wouldn't exactly call it a cannon. It seemed fairly slow to me, but accurate. Still, the point stands that it does seem like he can shoot pretty well.

9 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

LOL that was a perfectly placed muffin that Quick misplayed. Hopefully Quinn does improve his shot, but his skating is so sublime, even a quick wrister that hits the net would be just as effective

Yeah, that’s what I was mostly referring to - notice how I didn’t say it was a boomer of a shot, and “if he could continue to put more power” into it... It doesn’t need to be a 100 mph slapper if it is perfectly placed and deceptive from screens. I do think he’s the type of kid to have the work ethic and reinvent his shot like Kesler did that one summer though.

2 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Yeah, that’s what I was mostly referring to - notice how I didn’t say it was a boomer of a shot, and “if he could continue to put more power” into it... It doesn’t need to be a 100 mph slapper if it is perfectly placed and deceptive from screens. I do think he’s the type of kid to have the work ethic and reinvent his shot like Kesler did that one summer though.

Phil Housley didn't have a rocket of a point shot, but he got over 1300 points.  Quinn will work on his shot, because that's the type of athlete he is, but his shot is great already.  Just ask Adam Larssen's broken leg if it thinks Quinn has a muffin shot.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Phil Housley didn't have a rocket of a point shot, but he got over 1300 points.  Quinn will work on his shot, because that's the type of athlete he is, but his shot is great already.  Just ask Adam Larssen's broken leg if it thinks Quinn has a muffin shot.

Straight up, when it happened live, I only saw the 4 of Hughes' #43 when he took that shot and assumed it was Pettersson. So my thoughts were "Ouch! But blocking a Pettersson shot will do that to you.....hey! Wait a minute!"

Edited by HerrDrFunk
  • Cheers 1