The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

Well, I wouldn't go calling Hughes better than Dahlin.....yet.

It's getting close though, isn't it?  Hee Hee Hee.

No, I was thinking about the OJ trolls coming along and posting his AHL stats to combat the stats of those three D you posted.  And those posters know who they are.  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It's getting close though, isn't it?  Hee Hee Hee.

No, I was thinking about the OJ trolls coming along and posting his AHL stats to combat the stats of those three D you posted.  And those posters know who they are.  

Well that'd be a dumb move considering his numbers put him ahead of Boqvist and Bouchard while Dobson is a scratch in the NHL more often than not. 

1694033756_ScreenShot2019-10-31at3_29_45PM.png.288d4724c482f8c136b2d9786225d2a3.png

:bigblush:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Well that'd be a dumb move considering his numbers put him ahead of Boqvist and Bouchard while Dobson is a scratch in the NHL more often than not. 

1694033756_ScreenShot2019-10-31at3_29_45PM.png.288d4724c482f8c136b2d9786225d2a3.png

:bigblush:

You, my friend, are a good Troll pounder.  :towel:

New name ... Troll pounder?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

He won't respond. He's been taking an unplanned break of indefinite duration.

Just as well. His angry little heart wouldn’t have been able to handle the joy of seeing Hughes, whether he’s 5’8” or 5’10”, excelling in the NHL.

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You, my friend, are a good Troll pounder.  :towel:

New name ... Troll pounder?  

Awwww, it’s easy to do when stats back you up. But I think I’ll continue to be a doctor of snark and cheerleading.

Edited by HerrDrFunk
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

And those posters, as always, are wrong.

He's a #2D. Always has been and continues to be. That doesn't make him a PPQB or even a PMD though.

He's a minute munching, 2 way, #2D with some physicality. I'll take that on my team any day. Too many people have been in a hurry to throw out the baby with the bath water because he's never been a #1D or PPQB/PMD. Tossing aside perfectly good players just because you lack other better or complimentary ones, is just plain stupid.

I think you're both right...and wrong...when it comes to Edler. Fact is that he's had some up year and some down years. From around 2009 to 2013 he was a pretty legit top pairing defenseman, but from 2013 to 2017 he had some pretty poor years where I wouldn't have considered him any more than a 2nd pairing guy. He seemed to start finding his game again during the 2017-2018 season and has, in my mind, been a legit top pairing guy since the start of the 2018 season onward. 

I would kill for a younger prime-level Edler that could play the right side to round out our D core. 

51 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think you're both right...and wrong...when it comes to Edler. Fact is that he's had some up year and some down years. From around 2009 to 2013 he was a pretty legit top pairing defenseman, but from 2013 to 2017 he had some pretty poor years where I wouldn't have considered him any more than a 2nd pairing guy. He seemed to start finding his game again during the 2017-2018 season and has, in my mind, been a legit top pairing guy since the start of the 2018 season onward. 

I would kill for a younger prime-level Edler that could play the right side to round out our D core. 

Funny how the guy responsible for playing near half the game against the league's best night in and out took a 'down turn' during the teams worst years but has 'miraculously recovered' as the team has improved around him again...:rolleyes:

Edler has never been 'the problem'.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Funny how the guy responsible for playing near half the game against the league's best night in and out took a 'down turn' during the teams worst years but has 'miraculously recovered' as the team has improved around him again...:rolleyes:

Sure, the team around him was a big factor, but I'm not willing to fully attribute Edler's downsing and recent upswing to that. While certainly better than the season before it or the 2 seasons following, I wouldn't exactly call Edler's 2014-15 season (when we did make the playoffs) world-beating. Add to that the fact that Edler's game took a noticeable upswing during the 2017-2018 season (a year in which we finished last in our division with 73 points), and the timing doesn't exactly synch up. 

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Eddy is a physical beast, who eats the hardest minutes.  He’s got lots left on the tank too.  Would love to have Tryamkin here to learn from Eddy.  

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

And those posters, as always, are wrong.

He's a #2D. Always has been and continues to be. That doesn't make him a PPQB or even a PMD though.

He's a minute munching, 2 way, #2D with some physicality. I'll take that on my team any day. Too many people have been in a hurry to throw out the baby with the bath water because he's never been a #1D or PPQB/PMD. Tossing aside perfectly good players just because you lack other better or complimentary ones, is just plain stupid.

If you read my original post, I was talking about him playing on the PP.  My comment had nothing to do with the rest of his play or how many minutes he plays

On 10/30/2019 at 7:59 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

No. I am old.  But your post was bad in that you called Edler useless...

...I figured only a teenager that doesn't know better would type something so dumb.  Edler useless?  Slap yourself in the face.  :picard:

On 10/30/2019 at 7:59 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

No. I am old.  But your post was bad in that you called Edler useless...

...I figured only a teenager that doesn't know better would type something so dumb.  Edler useless?  Slap yourself in the face.  :picard:

For someone who is old, you dont read very well do you ?  I called him useless on the PP !  I then backed it up with how much better our PP has been with Hughes ever since he replaced Edler on the number 1 unit.  If you want to throw a tantrum and insults, atleast argue the actual topic which was Edler on the PP

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheAce said:

For someone who is old, you dont read very well do you ?  I called him useless on the PP !  I then backed it up with how much better our PP has been with Hughes ever since he replaced Edler on the number 1 unit.  If you want to throw a tantrum and insults, atleast argue the actual topic which was Edler on the PP

Your post isn't worth arguing.  

Edler is useless?  Haha...pathetic....:picard:

12 hours ago, TheAce said:

Edler typically scores 15 - 20 power play points per year. That is far from "useless on the PP". It is true that our PP is much better with Hughes. That is because Hughes is an elite offensive Dman, not because Eddie is useless.

There is a huge range in between useless and elite, despite your purported belief that this difference in our power play "backs up" your position that Eddie is useless on the PP. Things are not as black and white as you choose to believe.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Mrwipeout said:

Waiting for the injury update.....anyone know how and when he got injured?

Freak accident really. He was just turning around and looked like he bent his ankle funny. If I were to guess, I'd say it's probably at worst a sprained ankle and will keep him out a week or two at most. Probably 3 or 4 missed games is my guess.

Course I could be wrong, but that's just what I think based on what I saw.