The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I do think that Hughes can catch Dale Tallon's records. Tallon was a big talent but always suffered from the Perrault comparisons. Because of a faulty spin of a wheel. A desperate Vancouver fan base demanded more from Tallon than what was fair. He was pushed to fast and IMHO never realized his full potential. Sound familiar?      

Yeah, it surprised me when I first learned of how good Tallon's rookie campaign was. You hear so much negative talk about him, I had assumed he was a bust until I did my research. Does kind of make you wonder if he'd be a Canuck legend had he stayed in Vancouver and scored maybe 300+ points in our colours.

I just wanted to create this thread.... to share my joy of having quinn as a canuck... at 20... hes already the best defenseman I have ever seen in a canucks uniform. We have had some good ones.... but hes another level.

I mean seriously.... to think to push your teamate to catch a breakaway

... like a dman warp drive is so creative and its fast thinking....hes never beat... in that situation he diddnt give up skating.... he was able to make the diffrence 2 men back.

He has some opportunities to grow

But

I dman ( lol) impressed.

Edited by Snapshot85
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Quinn should patent that hockey play.....bet it won’t be long before others copy it.

Tons of players have done it before. It's not like Quinn is the first guy to ever push a teammate from behind--it's just that he's done it twice now in a relatively small time frame and had it be very effective both times.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Tons of players have done it before. It's not like Quinn is the first guy to ever push a teammate from behind--it's just that he's done it twice now in a relatively small time frame and had it be very effective both times.

It happens all the time... Just not usually in your own end, and not on camera

The "butt push" is not new at all.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, it surprised me when I first learned of how good Tallon's rookie campaign was. You hear so much negative talk about him, I had assumed he was a bust until I did my research. Does kind of make you wonder if he'd be a Canuck legend had he stayed in Vancouver and scored maybe 300+ points in our colours.

Actually Tallon had some good vets to play with. Pat Quinn leading the way. Tallon could do everything but I thought his passing was top flight. He had good size so wasn't pushed around. What truly was not fair was the way fans sold him short. He actually delivered pretty well.   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Actually Tallon had some good vets to play with. Pat Quinn leading the way. Tallon could do everything but I thought his passing was top flight. He had good size so wasn't pushed around. What truly was not fair was the way fans sold him short. He actually delivered pretty well.   

The Canucks were so desperate for offense, Tallon played wing more often than not. He was that good.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Fun Fact:

The record for the most powerplay points in a rookie season as a Canuck goes to Brock Boeser, with 23 powerplay points (62 games) (Petey had 22 in 71 games). The record for the most powerplay points by a rookie defenseman is a tie between Dale Tallon (78 games) and Dennis Kearns (73 games), with 17 each.

Hughes has 13 in 24 games.

wow! good find.. 

I think we can consider both those records smashed.. maybe by Xmas..?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

IMO, Quinn is the best of this rookie class.  No disrespect to Makar, but honestly, if Quinn was on the Avs playing with Mac all game long, he would be the scoring leader among all rookies right now.  I would argue that Quinn drives the play on this team more than any other player (Petey included).  Makar does it sometimes, but reality is that Mac drives the play on that team.

I really hope Quinn keeps it up and wins the Calder this year.  He deserves it more than Makar IMO.

• Upvote 1

Hughes still obviously has a long way to go defensively and it'd be nice to find him a solid two-way defender who's primarily a shutdown guy to play with going forward down the line, but of course it's nice to see Quinn rack up points. He might realistically hit 60 points if he's healthy all season which will be monstrous considering he's maybe our 3rd best defenceman.