The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

22 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's kind of mind boggling that Hughes is having one of the best rookie seasons of any defenseman in history and yet he's not the the Calder frontrunner. 

US big market hype train and Makar has the Canadian lineage to boot.  To canadian hockey fans not based in Vancouver, it's only natural to cheer for the national product even though Quinn grew up in T.O.  

Quinn would be getting way more hype out east or in a US city.  Big whoop.  Hype doesn't win games.  Makar is awesome, Hughes is awesome.  

You think that the media slugs would be talking about both players as they are both having incredible seasons.  The difference in impact and overall abilities is marginal.  

But media slugs are media slugs for a reason.  

2 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Very fortunate for the Canucks that he was still available at #7:

Yes Canucks fans really have to thank the Coyotes and the Habs management for smoking something that year. No way Hugues would have dropped to 7th if these two teams weren't higher than Vancouver in the draft that year.

"Hughes is feasting on the league’s top power-play unit. One that draws the most penalties in the league as well, so the opportunities should continue to come along. The 2018 seventh-overall pick’s 14 PPPs trail only Victor Hedman’s 15 for blueliners. His personal and even-strength shooting percentage is in line. His IPP remains stable. He’s a 20-year-old rookie defender on pace for 70-points. This is who is today and he’s getting better with each passing match.

Meanwhile, Makar, who is a year older, is clicking at a nearly 14 percent conversion rate. He’s seeing more starts in the offensive zone than Hughes, yet isn’t driving play as well at even-strength (48.55 CF% compared to 55.32%). The Avs boast just as lethal a power-play unit – especially with Mikko Rantanen and Gabe Landeskog back in action. So Makar’s production on the man-advantage will be safe (and massive) but his 5v5 rates are due for a very real regression. 

If you’re trying to trade for either of these players, go for the Canuck. His price tag will likely be a bit cheaper, and his metrics say he’ll soon pass Makar in the race for Rookie of the Year."

- CAM ROBINSON 

GO QUINN BRING HOME THE CALDER

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ferlands_Head said:

"Hughes is feasting on the league’s top power-play unit. One that draws the most penalties in the league as well, so the opportunities should continue to come along. The 2018 seventh-overall pick’s 14 PPPs trail only Victor Hedman’s 15 for blueliners. His personal and even-strength shooting percentage is in line. His IPP remains stable. He’s a 20-year-old rookie defender on pace for 70-points. This is who is today and he’s getting better with each passing match.

Meanwhile, Makar, who is a year older, is clicking at a nearly 14 percent conversion rate. He’s seeing more starts in the offensive zone than Hughes, yet isn’t driving play as well at even-strength (48.55 CF% compared to 55.32%). The Avs boast just as lethal a power-play unit – especially with Mikko Rantanen and Gabe Landeskog back in action. So Makar’s production on the man-advantage will be safe (and massive) but his 5v5 rates are due for a very real regression. 

If you’re trying to trade for either of these players, go for the Canuck. His price tag will likely be a bit cheaper, and his metrics say he’ll soon pass Makar in the race for Rookie of the Year."

- CAM ROBINSON 

GO QUINN BRING HOME THE CALDER

I remember hoping Barzal’s rookie production would drop off, it didn’t. 
I don’t think I’ll do the same this year don’t want to be let down again

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Very fortunate for the Canucks that he was still available at #7:

Petey and Hughes are our two key pieces, and JB got them at 5 and 7 in their respective drafts.  JB deserves a friggin' statue for that alone.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, ruilin96 said:

No matter who JB picks, that player won’t be as impactful as Hughes to the team.

In that draft could we have picked a more perfect player (impactful) to fit our needs as Quinn?  Dahlin is a really good player, but is he what we needed so badly?  Quinn is an offensive dynamo, and super smart defensively.  We actually were lucky to not win that draft lotto.  It's like the Petey draft.  We were lucky to not win that draft too.  In both cases if we win the lotto do we still have Petey and Huggy Bear?  Where would we be if we had Hischer and Dahlin?  Not nearly so good IMO.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

In that draft could we have picked a more perfect player (impactful) to fit our needs as Quinn?  Dahlin is a really good player, but is he what we needed so badly?  Quinn is an offensive dynamo, and super smart defensively.  We actually were lucky to not win that draft lotto.  It's like the Petey draft.  We were lucky to not win that draft too.  In both cases if we win the lotto do we still have Petey and Huggy Bear?  Where would we be if we had Hischer and Dahlin?  Not nearly so good IMO.  

I think Jim and the guys were high on Petey and I think Jim only had Makar over him...

hischer soft play would drive me crazy on this team. 

But Makar and Dahlin and bo as our number one center ......I could live with that. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

No matter who JB picks, that player won’t be as impactful as Hughes to the team.

Absolutely.

Hughes will be the 1D for this team for a long, long time; a necessary component to winning Cups.

Edited by Me_

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

IMO, only other player that I want in the draft other than Hughes is Dahlin. I still believe Dahlin will be the best player in the draft when rest is said and done (and I am huge Quinn Hughes fan). But at #7, we got the most perfect player: he was the BPA and he also filled a big hole in the line up.

We must write thank you notes to Bergevin, Chayka and Holland for this to happen.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

IMO, only other player that I want in the draft other than Hughes is Dahlin. I still believe Dahlin will be the best player in the draft when rest is said and done (and I am huge Quinn Hughes fan). But at #7, we got the most perfect player: he was the BPA and he also filled a big hole in the line up.

We must write thank you notes to Bergevin, Chayka and Holland for this to happen.

Not that I wouldn't want Hughes, but can you imagine...

Miller  Pete Svech

Pears  Bo   Boes

OMG

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Not that I wouldn't want Hughes, but can you imagine...

Miller  Pete Svech

Pears  Bo   Boes

OMG

It is a very lethal offence but we would have no #1 defenceman and likely won’t be able to find one through the draft given our draft positions from 2018 and beyond, we are not likely to find a player Hughes calibre. If we drafted Svech, I could see the Canucks not making a trade for Miller but make a trade for a veteran defenceman instead.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ruilin96 said:

It is a very lethal offence but we would have no #1 defenceman and likely won’t be able to find one through the draft given our draft positions from 2018 and beyond, we are not likely to find a player Hughes calibre. If we drafted Svech, I could see the Canucks not making a trade for Miller but make a trade for a veteran defenceman instead.

I have to agree. I prefer Hughes over Svech.....even though my initial reaction was that I did not want a small D man....

I must have been on crack!!  :frantic: