The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Hughes will be a new Erik Karlsson if he improves the D aspect in his own zone. That means he will claim the Norris in ca 3-5 years from now. Dahlin might claim the Norris also and is better in his own zone then QH  at the moment, but Dahlin is not close to where Huggybear is on offense. 

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

Not being a homer.  This is pretty obvious to those who both played and know the game.  If Dahlin was the phenom Hughes is, or great like Hedmann, then the Sabres would be a much more successful team.  Dahlin is a good player, but is more the level of young Edler.  

Dahlin is 6 months younger than Quinn, Alf. I love Quinn, and think he is exactly what we needed. For sure he is in the running for the Calder. But I don't think it is time to be saying who will be better. Let's wait until they are 23/24 and see who is the more dominant. At this exact point, yes Quinn is better. But it is exactly like those people that say Maker is better than Quinn. Quinn is younger, again, let's wait until they are both 23/24.

I just look at it and say, this is a pretty cool era, where we have Quinn, Dahlin, Maker, Heiskanen, , Fox, DeAngelo, Chabot etc...…..lots of very good, creative young defensemen, who are helping to change the game...………..

It is just a cool era to be a hockey fan, especially when our team is on the up swing. There is a lot to love about Quinn's game, but I don't think we have to get in a pissing match, about it...…..they are all good!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Why are you talking about predraft notes when they have both demonstrated what they can do in the NHL and are significant contributors on their professional clubs? Nolan Patrick was also supposed to be a stud, how is he doing? Would you say he’s better than Pettersson? That’s what the predraft rankings would suggest. 

Pre draft ranking are the opinions of multiple professionals that are combined into lists of who is thought to be the better players.

While there are misses, these lists are mostly right. 

A couple or reasons for taking Patrick before Elias:

Patrick is  heavier

He was more likely to play in the league right away, which he did.

I would also point out nobody was mentioning Patrick as a "generational' "best in decades" like most were doing for Dahlin.

9 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I’m curious as to what metric you are justifying that claim based off of. Currently there Quinn Hughes is producing at 0.69p/go and Dahlin in producing at 0.68p/gp. 

last year Dahlin put the 2nd highest point total ever by an 18 year old defensemen in the history of the NHL. 

And this year even with his concussion and missed games he’s still on pace to put up the 5th highest point total by a 19 year old defensemen. 

I love Hughes but let’s not take away how good Dahlin is for his age. For example. Dahlin already has more career points at 19 than Hedman had in his career at 22. Dahlins done that in only a year and a half compared to Hedman playing 3 full seasons. 

Woah this is really cool, who was number 1? Dahlin is also a really consistent point getter, he's not gonna front load the season with points and tail off either. 

5 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

I remember when I was ticked off we let Boqvist get past us and Blackhawks got him. In Benning I trust.

Boquist.  :lol:

Two drafts in a row it’s proving JB got us the best player.  Petey and then Hugs.  Than God we lost the lottery and didn’t get stuck with the guys who went at the top.  

9 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I’m curious as to what metric you are justifying that claim based off of. Currently there Quinn Hughes is producing at 0.69p/go and Dahlin in producing at 0.68p/gp. 

last year Dahlin put the 2nd highest point total ever by an 18 year old defensemen in the history of the NHL. 

And this year even with his concussion and missed games he’s still on pace to put up the 5th highest point total by a 19 year old defensemen. 

I love Hughes but let’s not take away how good Dahlin is for his age. For example. Dahlin already has more career points at 19 than Hedman had in his career at 22. Dahlins done that in only a year and a half compared to Hedman playing 3 full seasons. 

Even the Buffalo GM would want Hughes over Dahlin. Guy was a fully mature man at 18.  He’s like Ekblad.  He’s going to reach his ceiling (he’s already there) quick, because he has no physical growth left.  

On 1/21/2020 at 3:28 PM, Alflives said:

Crawl back under your bridge and enjoy the snow and freezing temperatures in 

Toronto.  The only people who feel Dahlin is now, or ever will be, the phenom 

Quinn Hughes is never played and truly understand the game. 

What is with your obsession with labeling people trolls if they show some appreciation for players not wearing Canuck colours? I’ve made note of it for a while now and it’s bizarre quite frankly. As Canuck fans we can worship at the alter of Hughes AND be able to recognize OTHER good young players on other teams. Dahlin is a great young player and COULD be better than Quinn in the long run. And you know what, I can say that in the same breath as saying that a Canuck Stanley Cup win is one of my greatest hopes in this life.

Should we call YOU a troll for labelling Olli Juolevi a “bustaroo” and a “loser” in his prospect thread? 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

What is with your obsession with labeling people trolls if they show some appreciation for players not wearing Canuck colours? I’ve made note of it for a while now and it’s bizarre quite frankly. As Canuck fans we can worship at the alter of Hughes AND be able to recognize OTHER good young players on other teams. Dahlin is a great young player and COULD be better than Quinn in the long run. And you know what, I can say that in the same breath as saying that a Canuck Stanley Cup win is one of my greatest hopes in this life.

Should we call YOU a troll for labelling Olli Juolevi a “bustaroo” and a “loser” in his prospect thread? 

When posters come to our Canuck’s board and state players of the same age (young core guys) are better than the Canuck’s guy, that’s clearly trying to upset true Canuck’s fans.  Those types of posts are fishing for stupid Canuck’s fans like me (:picard:) to bite.

Call our prospect a bustaroo.  That’s okay.  But state other teams’ prospects are superior (especially when dealing with our very best young core guys) is clearly trolling.  What true Canuck’s fan (or fan of any team team) is going to give up their hope for future success by saying other teams top prospects are better?  That would be really stupid, no?  

8 hours ago, suitup said:

Woah this is really cool, who was number 1? Dahlin is also a really consistent point getter, he's not gonna front load the season with points and tail off either. 

Phil Housley is #1. He put up 66 points as an 18 year old D. There is one other D who put up a higher p/gp as a 18 year old. And that is Bobby Orr.

But for Dahlin to be in the same company as those two, which makes them the only three 18 year old D in nhl history to put up higher than 0.5p/gp, well that’s pretty impressive. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

When posters come to our Canuck’s board and state players of the same age (young core guys) are better than the Canuck’s guy, that’s clearly trying to upset true Canuck’s fans.  Those types of posts are fishing for stupid Canuck’s fans like me (:picard:) to bite.

Call our prospect a bustaroo.  That’s okay.  But state other teams’ prospects are superior (especially when dealing with our very best young core guys) is clearly trolling.  What true Canuck’s fan (or fan of any team team) is going to give up their hope for future success by saying other teams top prospects are better?  That would be really stupid, no?  

I would say always putting a Canuck prospect over any other prospect would be considered being a blind fan. Being a Canucks fan means you should be a hockey fan first, appreciate the game and players in it. 

Me personally I would currently pick Dahlin over Hughes, he’s bigger and more physical, a top 3 skater in the draft (Hughes probably being the first), hands are equal if not better and you can throw Dahlin out on every situation on the ice. Not saying Hughes is bad, we stole at the 7th pick which is an incredible feat in itself but Dahlin was picked 1st for a reason and other than being on Buffalo he hasn’t shown any regression minus the concussion this year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Steven Stamkos said:

I would say always putting a Canuck prospect over any other prospect would be considered being a blind fan. Being a Canucks fan means you should be a hockey fan first, appreciate the game and players in it. 

Me personally I would currently pick Dahlin over Hughes, he’s bigger and more physical, a top 3 skater in the draft (Hughes probably being the first), hands are equal if not better and you can throw Dahlin out on every situation on the ice. Not saying Hughes is bad, we stole at the 7th pick which is an incredible feat in itself but Dahlin was picked 1st for a reason and other than being on Buffalo he hasn’t shown any regression minus the concussion this year. 

So what you’re saying is you’re more of a Buffalo fan than our fan.  That’s okay, but why not go to your own board and say that Dahlin is better than Hughes?  Why come here unless you’re looking to upset real Canuck’s fans?  

Stupid Alf bit again :lol:

• Wat 2