The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

So what you’re saying is you’re more of a Buffalo fan than our fan.  That’s okay, but why not go to your own board and say that Dahlin is better than Hughes?  Why come here unless you’re looking to upset real Canuck’s fans?  

Stupid Alf bit again :lol:

So by this logic:

Pettersson > McDavid 

Boeser > Ovechkin

Horvat > Crosby

?

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

So what you’re saying is you’re more of a Buffalo fan than our fan.  That’s okay, but why not go to your own board and say that Dahlin is better than Hughes?  Why come here unless you’re looking to upset real Canuck’s fans?  

Stupid Alf bit again :lol:

Come on, Alf, be reasonable. Fans can be critical of players from their own teams and of course can still think that not all their players are the best in their respective positions. I personally admire fans who make a concerted effort to remain objective in their analysis while passionately cheering on a team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

A8FEB345-7039-4CBF-AA72-E108E33EAF7C.jpeg

Is it me or does Hughes look like a kid who won a lottery to get a picture with his heroes?    This is even more telling when one of the heroes (EP40) looks like if he started a playoff beard now, it would be ready for the 2022 run.    Gawd are these guys getting younger and younger.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Steven Stamkos said:

Being a Canucks fan means you should be a hockey fan first, appreciate the game and players in it. 

No it doesn't.

Edit: be a Canuck fan first.  Appreciate our players.  Then if you really need to, like a player or two in the east.

2nd Edit: ...but not Toronto.  They all suk!!

::D

Edited by Kanukfanatic

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It's amazing that he has shown enough already that the idea of a long term contract for him is not unreasonable, while at the same time, he is young enough that he could get a fairly long term and still be an RFA at the end of it!

58 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

It's amazing that he has shown enough already that the idea of a long term contract for him is not unreasonable, while at the same time, he is young enough that he could get a fairly long term and still be an RFA at the end of it!

I anticipate something like Provorov's deal.

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

I anticipate something like Provorov's deal.

I would expect a similar AAV to Provorov's deal if Quinn signed at the end of this season. If they wait until after next season, it would depend on what he does after this year.  But I would think that the team would try for a shorter term, like 4 years, to keep him RFA. Probably backloaded to discourage offer sheets.

If they were going to get into Quinn's UFA years, I imagine the Canucks would want to go for the max 8 years. But I don't think either the team or QH would that enthusiastic about taking an 8 year gamble at this point for the price the other side would be willing to agree to, so it would probably be very tough to reach agreement on that term.

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Cheers 1

One thing to consider in regards to Hughes' next deal is that his camp has already given the Canucks a discount. Hughes doesn't have any schedule B bonuses in his ELC, whereas Pettersson has the maximum allowed. This gives Hughes' camp the ability to say that they already gave the team a break, now they team should ready to pay him. This is what happened with Marner and the Leafs this past summer. 

• Wat 1

16 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

One thing to consider in regards to Hughes' next deal is that his camp has already given the Canucks a discount. Hughes doesn't have any schedule B bonuses in his ELC, whereas Pettersson has the maximum allowed. This gives Hughes' camp the ability to say that they already gave the team a break, now they team should ready to pay him. This is what happened with Marner and the Leafs this past summer. 

Difference is Dubas is a weakling who caved to Princess and got bent over by Matthews.  Marner finished him.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Haha.

Calling that a discount is interesting. More likely his lawyer agent got Hughes what he thought he deserved.

That is a stretch there pal...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Haha.

Calling that a discount is interesting. More likely his lawyer agent got Hughes what he thought he deserved.

Agreed.

Pettersson won SHL Championship and MVP going into his contract. He deserved to get paid more.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Only kicker is, like Boeser, Hughes has zero arbitration rights. Can't be offer-sheeted and can't go to the arbitrator. There's is not much he can do besides hold out and negotiate.

That said D don't usually sign for monster deals out of their ELC so with all that said I am not too worried about his next deal. 

10 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

37 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Only kicker is, like Boeser, Hughes has zero arbitration rights. Can't be offer-sheeted and can't go to the arbitrator. There's is not much he can do besides hold out and negotiate.

That said D don't usually sign for monster deals out of their ELC so with all that said I am not too worried about his next deal. 

Isn't a bit sad how Rick couldn't be bothered to add this part  "Hughes has zero arbitration rights. Can't be offer-sheeted and can't go to the arbitrator." to his tweet?

Does it draw more attention to not say all the facts?

Edit

If Hughes can't go to arbitration, and can't get offer sheeted, why would you say Bisson is in a good position.?

I'm sure the Canucks and Hughes will come to an agreeable deal, but I don't think Bisson or Hughes hold the power here, at least for this upcoming deal.

Edited by gurn

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Haha.

"Discount" was probably the wrong way to phrase it. What I meant was that Hughes' camp can say that he has been underpaid for his contributions thus far, not that they accepted a lower deal than what they wanted at the time. 

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Good point on the arbitration rights.

I would absolutely look to lock Hughes (and Pettersson) up for 8 years. I wasn't a fan of the term on Boeser's deal because now, if he earns it at the end of his deal, he could be much more expensive to re-sign (with the cap going up and such) compared to if we just committed to him now. With Hughes, hopefully the Chabot deal can be used as a comparable (8 years, 8 million cap hit per and Hughes is scoring at a slightly lower rate with a smaller sample size) signed with one year left on his ELC. For Pettersson, hopefully the Eichel deal will be the comparable there (8 years, 10 million cap hit per after scoring at a slightly lower rate than Pettersson and missing time with an injury signed with one year left on his ELC). 

I would definitely go for term with these deals though. Any bridge will just make them that much more expensive. As much as our team has improved short term, we should still have a long term outlook on this.