The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

By all rights, Huggie is still a boy. (A very talented boy). He is already all-star level. Get extra experience and a bit more strength behind him and I hear the Norris calling... provided Makar doesn't intercept that call.

Same could be said of Pettersson's development and growth. Difference there is that with his frame, Petey will easily hit 190. Possibly close to 200. He will also be unstoppable at peak.

Good times ahead.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, kloubek said:

By all rights, Huggie is still a boy. (A very talented boy). He is already all-star level. Get extra experience and a bit more strength behind him and I hear the Norris calling... provided Makar doesn't intercept that call.

Same could be said of Pettersson's development and growth. Difference there is that with his frame, Petey will easily hit 190. Possibly close to 200. He will also be unstoppable at peak.

Good times ahead.

I think we are going to have 2 careers mirrored the whole time! Both amazing talents :)

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, kloubek said:

Good times ahead.

The group Benning has managed l assemble is jaw dropping.  

Brock, Jake, Quinn, Elais, Mikey and Thatcher.  Add in Rathbone, Rafftery, OJ, Lind, Gads, Madden, Woo and a whole host of other players.  

Throw in Trymakin, Miller and Myers.  

This is a deep team with some serious untapped abilities that is getting better each month.  

Playoffs, &^@# yeah!!  Beyond that, I predict that the club will make it to the conference finals.  

Too deep to beat. 

• Cheers 1

On 1/23/2020 at 8:47 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Is it me or does Hughes look like a kid who won a lottery to get a picture with his heroes?    This is even more telling when one of the heroes (EP40) looks like if he started a playoff beard now, it would be ready for the 2022 run.    Gawd are these guys getting younger and younger.

Agreed

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Hughes got a nice profile bump with the ASG, hopefully he gets a little more respect from the eastern writers for the Calder. Makar is terrific offensively but he's not as complete a player as Hughes. 

I love having Hughes. He is awesome.

But why do you feel the need to cut makar down?  Makar is very good and what you typed is not even accurate.

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I love having Hughes. He is awesome.

But why do you feel the need to cut makar down?  Makar is very good and what you typed is not even accurate.

who's "cutting him down"? where's that coming from? The Calder is a comparison, Hughes is better defensively. Quinn has better possession numbers with fewer offensive zone starts. They're very close from a production pov (https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_compare.php?players[]=4993&players[]=5004&period=2019-2020%3AR%3A99)

Not sure why this bothers you so much. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Makar is very good and what you typed is not even accurate.

I actually agree with him that Quinn's game is more complete. 

Makar appears he might well end up the better offensive player. (Which is a scary thought considering how good Hughes is at driving play). He is also clearly the bigger of the two.

But when it comes to defensive smarts, stats show Quinn is ahead, and I don't really see his small size as an issue; he mitigates his small size too by being almost untouchable out there, as well as an uncanny ability to position his body so well that he is often able to defend against guys far bigger than he is.

It is still early to say, but I do think we might have gotten the better -overall- player. We may not, however, have gotten the best offensive player. That isn't at all a slight against Makar; both will get their accolades soon enough... they are just both going to be great in different ways.

• Cheers 1

On 1/22/2020 at 7:54 AM, Mrwipeout said:

Hughes will be a new Erik Karlsson if he improves the D aspect in his own zone. That means he will claim the Norris in ca 3-5 years from now. Dahlin might claim the Norris also and is better in his own zone then QH  at the moment, but Dahlin is not close to where Huggybear is on offense. 

My co-worker is a big Detroit fan.  He thinks the Red Wings had too many forwards and no defensemen.  They should have picked Quinn Hughes instead of Zadina.  He also said Quinn Hughes will be the Canuck's first ever Norris Trophy  winner.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

My co-worker is a big Detroit fan.  He thinks the Red Wings had too many forwards and no defensemen.  They should have picked Quinn Hughes instead of Zadina.  He also said Quinn Hughes will be the Canuck's first ever Norris Trophy  winner.

There is a whole article on the Athletic about this - how QH fell to 7th.  A sequence of a couple teams miscalculating and drafting for position etc.  Apparently Detroit had Dobson and Bouchard ahead of Hughes, but when Zadina was still available they snapped him up because they didnt expect him to be there.   Of course this is all assuming that QH continues to be a better selection than those other guys...which looks like a safe bet as of right now.

At the end of the day im glad we were fortunate enough to draft this kid.  Perhaps a payback from the hockey gods for being shafted in multiple consecutive draft lottos. It looks like we ended up with 2 top 3 players (EP would probably go first and i bet QH would go top 3) regardless of the draft lotto let downs.

Edited by Darius
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Hughes got a nice profile bump with the ASG, hopefully he gets a little more respect from the eastern writers for the Calder. Makar is terrific offensively but he's not as complete a player as Hughes. 

Makar is great with the puck on his stick and attacking.  Without the puck, he’s not even close to Hugs.  

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Makar is great with the puck on his stick and attacking.  Without the puck, he’s not even close to Hugs.  

its not an insult, what I said and posted. I'd be overjoyed if we had Makar too. Its just he's more in the vein of a guy like Sergacehv who was sheltered with a big majority of o-zone time. Its not an insult, its just the numbers. Hughes has been tasked with a more defensively responsible role and has done pretty well with it, he's far from perfect but he's already showing a maturity that most guys don't reach for a while. To me that puts him at the top of the Calder, but that race is based mostly on points. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its not an insult, what I said and posted. I'd be overjoyed if we had Makar too. Its just he's more in the vein of a guy like Sergacehv who was sheltered with a big majority of o-zone time. Its not an insult, its just the numbers. Hughes has been tasked with a more defensively responsible role and has done pretty well with it, he's far from perfect but he's already showing a maturity that most guys don't reach for a while. To me that puts him at the top of the Calder, but that race is based mostly on points. 

Love to have Makar and Hugs too.  It would be cool, because one of the two would always be on the ice.  I think 

Rathbone is going to be better than many realize.  Hugs, OJ, and Rathbone will be three fantastic puck moving D.  I like that they each are pass first guys too.  A D man carrying the puck (Makar) looks great, but passing the puck and then filling a lane is better.