The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

12 hours ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

My co-worker is a big Detroit fan.  He thinks the Red Wings had too many forwards and no defensemen.  They should have picked Quinn Hughes instead of Zadina.  He also said Quinn Hughes will be the Canuck's first ever Norris Trophy  winner.

We should all thank Detroit!!!!

I thought for sure it was a no brainer that Detroit would pick Hughes.  But we ended up picking the 2nd best D man in that draft.  Btw...Hughes has more points than Dahlin this season.  :)

• Huggy Bear 1

6 hours ago, Darius said:

There is a whole article on the Athletic about this - how QH fell to 7th.  A sequence of a couple teams miscalculating and drafting for position etc.  Apparently Detroit had Dobson and Bouchard ahead of Hughes, but when Zadina was still available they snapped him up because they didnt expect him to be there.   Of course this is all assuming that QH continues to be a better selection than those other guys...which looks like a safe bet as of right now.

At the end of the day im glad we were fortunate enough to draft this kid.  Perhaps a payback from the hockey gods for being shafted in multiple consecutive draft lottos. It looks like we ended up with 2 top 3 players (EP would probably go first and i bet QH would go top 3) regardless of the draft lotto let downs.

The fact that Detroit valued Dobson and Bouchard over Hughes is a bit mind-boggling. Was TheGuardian a scout in Detroit? :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BPA said:

We should all thank Detroit!!!!

I thought for sure it was a no brainer that Detroit would pick Hughes.  But we ended up picking the 2nd best D man in that draft.  Btw...Hughes has more points than Dahlin this season.  :)

With that said Zadina is looking pretty good himself. So does Boqvist in Chicago, despite their poor season. That draft looks pretty solid already. 

31 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

With that said Zadina is looking pretty good himself. So does Boqvist in Chicago, despite their poor season. That draft looks pretty solid already. 

Cant be looking that great. Hes in the ahl again. Cant crack the worst team in the last decade lol.

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Cant be looking that great. Hes in the ahl again. Cant crack the worst team in the last decade lol.

Yeah this thing called the All Star break was going on. May have missed it. Lol. The reason Zadina is in Grand Rapids is to get games in during the break. He scored twice in the final game with Detroit before the All Star break.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

The fact that Detroit valued Dobson and Bouchard over Hughes is a bit mind-boggling. Was TheGuardian a scout in Detroit? :lol:

It really is, if true. I had Dobson and Bouchard as my top choices for our pick, but only because I figured Huggy would be gone 3 or 4 picks before ours.

4 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

It really is, if true. I had Dobson and Bouchard as my top choices for our pick, but only because I figured Huggy would be gone 3 or 4 picks before ours.

I will openly admit I had Hughes ranked probably around 9 - 11...something about a small body or something...

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah this thing called the All Star break was going on. May have missed it. Lol. The reason Zadina is in Grand Rapids is to get games in during the break. He scored twice in the final game with Detroit before the All Star break.

Someone piss in your cereal this morning? Asking for a friend.

Edited by 73 Percent

On 1/27/2020 at 9:49 AM, stanleysteamersmyl said:

My co-worker is a big Detroit fan.  He thinks the Red Wings had too many forwards and no defensemen.  They should have picked Quinn Hughes instead of Zadina.  He also said Quinn Hughes will be the Canuck's first ever Norris Trophy  winner.

Detroit needs a bit of everything at the moment id say. Zadina is a future prospect and has potential but Wings definetly need 2 young talented Dmen on Huggybears level and at least 3 young forward talents on the level of Horvat-boeser-Petey. They got a Looong way to go. 

On 1/27/2020 at 8:57 AM, Darius said:

There is a whole article on the Athletic about this - how QH fell to 7th.  A sequence of a couple teams miscalculating and drafting for position etc.  Apparently Detroit had Dobson and Bouchard ahead of Hughes, but when Zadina was still available they snapped him up because they didnt expect him to be there.   Of course this is all assuming that QH continues to be a better selection than those other guys...which looks like a safe bet as of right now.

At the end of the day im glad we were fortunate enough to draft this kid.  Perhaps a payback from the hockey gods for being shafted in multiple consecutive draft lottos. It looks like we ended up with 2 top 3 players (EP would probably go first and i bet QH would go top 3) regardless of the draft lotto let downs.

Would you guys say the Athletic is actually worth its cost? Articles like this fascinate me but at the end of the day I have a hard time justifying paying monthly for sports journalism.

Can Hughes realistically add 10-15 lbs to his frame and not slow down?  Love to watch him play and create space but hate seeing him get stapled to the boards a few times a game.  Same thing with Petterson.  I know they rely on their quickness and ice smarts but just thinking a few extra pounds might help.

2 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

Can Hughes realistically add 10-15 lbs to his frame and not slow down?  Love to watch him play and create space but hate seeing him get stapled to the boards a few times a game.  Same thing with Petterson.  I know they rely on their quickness and ice smarts but just thinking a few extra pounds might help.

The kids 20 and already sitting at 170lbs. I know it might not seem like it given he plays in a sport with super athletes but thats actually a decent amount of muscle for someone with his frame. He'll continue to naturally gain a little more as he gets older and matures but I think he's right around where he needs to be.