The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

10 hours ago, Mrwipeout said:

Detroit needs a bit of everything at the moment id say. Zadina is a future prospect and has potential but Wings definetly need 2 young talented Dmen on Huggybears level and at least 3 young forward talents on the level of Horvat-boeser-Petey. They got a Looong way to go. 

Seider and Veleno are solid prospects in my books, to go along with Zadina. But yeah they are gonna need to suck for 3-4 more years AT LEAST and that's best case scenario. IE Benning style drafting with Boeser, Hughes and Pettersson being home run picks in 3 different drafts. They desperately need a goalie too, but luckily those you can fish for with 2nd rounders. 

40 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Seider and Veleno are solid prospects in my books, to go along with Zadina. But yeah they are gonna need to suck for 3-4 more years AT LEAST and that's best case scenario. IE Benning style drafting with Boeser, Hughes and Pettersson being home run picks in 3 different drafts. They desperately need a goalie too, but luckily those you can fish for with 2nd rounders. 

Missing on a phenom in Hughes set the Wings back big time.  It’s okay to miss on good players but teams can’t miss on the generational players like the Wings did and expect to their completed rebuild to be very good.  IMO the Eongs will need to go through two rebuilding phases to get past the Hughes miss.  That’s 8-10 years they will suck.  Missing on Hughes put the Wings into Coiler loserville territory for ineptness in drafting. 

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

The Red Wings, we are lookin' a bit more than fine between the pipes.

They'll probably look to draft some and at the NCAA ones coming up.

Askarov this draft and Wallstedt next draft could be had but they'll probably be drafting top 5 and they're not ranked that high.

10 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

They'll probably look to draft some and at the NCAA ones coming up.

Askarov this draft and Wallstedt next draft could be had but they'll probably be drafting top 5 and they're not ranked that high.

Yeah I was thinking Askarov would be a good fit. Yzerman seems like the guy that wouldn't be scared to take a goalie top 3/4, albeit still scary to pick a goalie top 5. With that said I think if they are top 3 it'd still be smarter to take a skater and try find some goalie gems in the 2nd and/or 3rd round. As it stands now at worst they'll be drafting 4th at worst. Taking a goalie there isn't outta the cards for Yzerman but still gotta think with the holes every where else you take the best skater. Will be interesting to see how they manage their rebuild. 

11 hours ago, Mrwipeout said:

Detroit needs a bit of everything at the moment id say. Zadina is a future prospect and has potential but Wings definetly need 2 young talented Dmen on Huggybears level and at least 3 young forward talents on the level of Horvat-boeser-Petey. They got a Looong way to go. 

56 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

They've also got got Hronek, McIsaac and Cholowski on top of Seider. I'd happily take any of those guys on D.

And Larkin, Mantha, Valeno, Svechnikov and Zadina etc are not a bad starting point for forwards.

IMO they're not as far off as people are suggesting.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah I was thinking Askarov would be a good fit. Yzerman seems like the guy that wouldn't be scared to take a goalie top 3/4, albeit still scary to pick a goalie top 5. With that said I think if they are top 3 it'd still be smarter to take a skater and try find some goalie gems in the 2nd and/or 3rd round. As it stands now at worst they'll be drafting 4th at worst. Taking a goalie there isn't outta the cards for Yzerman but still gotta think with the holes every where else you take the best skater. Will be interesting to see how they manage their rebuild. 

If they are drafting 5-10 I see them picking him up. Some mocks have him around there.

BPA if they are drafting top 5. They're currently 31st so the likelihood as it stands is a top 5 pick.

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If they are drafting 5-10 I see them picking him up. Some mocks have him around there.

BPA if they are drafting top 5. They're currently 31st so the likelihood as it stands is a top 5 pick.

Yeah, last list I seen he was like 6 or something. That was a month ago. Odds are very high they draft top 3 where it'd be kinda crazy to draft him. Lol. Will have to take the rest of this discussion to the draft thread. 

13 hours ago, aGENT said:

They've also got got Hronek, McIsaac and Cholowski on top of Seider. I'd happily take any of those guys on D.

And Larkin, Mantha, Valeno, Svechnikov and Zadina etc are not a bad starting point for forwards.

IMO they're not as far off as people are suggesting.

well all is relative but 3-4 years is probably a minimum. Detroit has had so many succesful years making it to the playoffs its pretty much bound to happen that they fall at some point. U cant get lucky and get a Zetterberg talent at 210 selection overall every 5 years or so. Dats and Zetterberg are incredibly missed and Kronwall and Lidstrom were Huge losses on D for them. They havent recovered at all. The only real talent there is Larkin imo. But i dont see Wings making it without 3 top tier forwards(at least one C) and 2 top tier Dmen. Maybe a few of those youngsters will take some major leaps in their development but i just dont see anything happening within a timeframe of those 3-4 years. i doubt they will even be close to the playoffs during those years. 

6 minutes ago, Mrwipeout said:

well all is relative but 3-4 years is probably a minimum. Detroit has had so many succesful years making it to the playoffs its pretty much bound to happen that they fall at some point. U cant get lucky and get a Zetterberg talent at 210 selection overall every 5 years or so. Dats and Zetterberg are incredibly missed and Kronwall and Lidstrom were Huge losses on D for them. They havent recovered at all. The only real talent there is Larkin imo. But i dont see Wings making it without 3 top tier forwards(at least one C) and 2 top tier Dmen. Maybe a few of those youngsters will take some major leaps in their development but i just dont see anything happening within a timeframe of those 3-4 years. i doubt they will even be close to the playoffs during those years. 

I think you're selling Hronek, McIsaac, Cholowski, Seider, Mantha, Valeno, Svechand Zadina etc a bit short there. That's a solid start to a new young core.

DET is basically where we were a couple years ago +/- (solid young group of prospects largely yet to 'land'). Yes they had their good times and those have come to an end with the inevitable down turn. But they'll have another top 5 pick this year and will continue on rebuilding with a very solid base already acquired (above). 

Again, they're not as far off as people are suggesting IMO. 

With two points tonight, Hughes is at 36 points on the season, which gives him the most points of any Canucks defenseman since 2011-12 (though Edler had 34 in just 56 games last year). In 2011-12, however, we had three defensemen with more than 36 points (Hamhuis, 37 points; Bieksa, 44 points; Edler, 49 points).

• Like 1