The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, mikkim said:

Yes, I should have been a little more clearer, the expansion fee does not count towards the cap, as far as Hughes next contract, if JB can sign him for a cap hit a little over Provorov's that would a steal I think just based off of Quinn's play this year.

For whatever reason, it seems the insanity with some F's hasn't struck D players bridge contracts yet.

And I think most of the league is treating the mess Du(m)bas(s) created in TOR as more outliers.

Edited by aGENT

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

For whatever reason, it seems the insanity with some F's hasn't struck D players bridge contracts yet.

And I think most of the league is treating the mess Du(m)bas(s) created in TOR as more outliers.

I think Heiskanen next contract might be one to watch for, see what he signs next year, that might give us a better idea at where Hughes next contract could be.

3 minutes ago, mikkim said:

I think Heiskanen next contract might be one to watch for, see what he signs next year, that might give us a better idea at where Hughes next contract could be.

Sure...but one contract does not a rule make. Look at recent bridge/RFA signings for D and I think you'll see a less terrifying picture painted.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sure...but one contract does not a rule make. Look at recent bridge/RFA signings for D and I think you'll see a less terrifying picture painted.

Absolutely, I didn't mean it would be the deciding factor but something JB and Hughes agent would look at. I can't think off the top of my head of another d-man like that that comes off there elc next year.

*I just looked at CapFriendly I see they are both coming off there elc at the same time, for some reason I thought Heiskanen was coming off a year sooner

Edited by mikkim

1 minute ago, mikkim said:

Absolutely, I didn't mean it would be the deciding factor but something JB and Hughes agent would look at. I can't think off the top of my head of another d-man like that that comes off there elc next year.

No, but you can look at recent D who signed RFA bridge deals like McAvoy ($4.9x3) or Werenski ($5x3) or Provorov ($6.75x6).

Hughes will likely fall under one of those scenarios ($5m'ish x 3 or $7m'ish X 6).

Benning's not going to stray far from that framework and Hughes' agent won't have much in the way of leverage to demand otherwise.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No, but you can look at recent D who signed RFA bridge deals like McAvoy ($4.9x3) or Werenski ($5x3) or Provorov ($6.75x6).

Hughes will likely fall under one of those scenarios ($5m'ish x 3 or $7m'ish X 6).

Benning's not going to stray far from that framework and Hughes' agent won't have much in the way of leverage to demand otherwise.

Yes, for some reason I thought Heiskanen was coming off his ELC a year before Hughes, that was why I was using him, definitely those other players will factor in to where Hughes and Heiskanen next contract will be. I do like your numbers, if we can sign him at those numbers I think it will really be good for the team.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Chicken. said:

Man.. Hughes is on pace to beat our all-time points record by a defenseman in a season, with a more flattering +/- as well to reflect his defensive prowess.

My expectations have been blown away

canucks-defencemen-scoring-1200x550.png

Was looking at this yesterday. He's now on pace for 65 points. Could he have the best season by any Canucks defenseman in history in just his rookie year? Jovo finished 6th in Norris voting twice and that's the closest we've been to a Norris winner. We'll see where Hughes ends up. 

4 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So, considering Hughes has been over a PPG for the last while, is it actually possible that he actually becomes the the highest scoring rookie we’ve ever had?

Quite possibly, especially if he stays healthy, since both Petey and Bure missed games in their rookie seasons.

Quinn Hughes is the best player on this team, hands down. EP is a remarkable player, but Hughes is just as good as Petey in every single department, besides shooting maybe. 

Revolutionary defenseman. Him and Makar. 

22 hours ago, BPA said:

Calder Trophy race as of today.

Hughes     47pts

Makar        45pts

Olofsson   40 pts

Suzuki        40pts

Kubalik       38pts

Come on Hughes!!!!!!

I hope the people voting realize there is more than who has the most points.  Hughes is far more relied on as a Defender than Makar and as such is far more valuable to his team.

• Huggy Bear 1

11 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I hope the people voting realize there is more than who has the most points.  Hughes is far more relied on as a Defender than Makar and as such is far more valuable to his team.

Yes.

But the argument could be made that Makar is better because he played less games and got similar points.  Plus Eastern bias hates Vancouver and Canada.  Can't have Vancouver have another Calder winner 2 years in a row.

LOL. 

2 hours ago, BPA said:

Yes.

But the argument could be made that Makar is better because he played less games and got similar points.  Plus Eastern bias hates Vancouver and Canada.  Can't have Vancouver have another Calder winner 2 years in a row.

LOL. 

Totally agree... Those super inflated ego's in Toronto and New York would not be able to handle that scenario.

Hughes is scoring at essentially the same rate as Chabot was before he signed his 8x8 deal. If the team and the player are both willing to get a deal done this summer and want to go long term, that's the best comparable you can get. 

Chabot signed that deal after 2 years in the NHL though, whereas Hughes only has one. I would assume the team would like to get a deal done this summer, but Hughes' camp will probably want to wait until next summer. 

• Cheers 1

The Calder trophy is about the most outstanding rookie, it's not like the Art Ross where you just hand the trophy to the person with the most points.

Hughes has been getting a ton of points, but his 5 on 5 play is excellent, he has contributed to a ton of goals, even when he doesn't get an assist.

He makes fantastic outlet passes every.single.time.

I wouldn't trade Hughes for anyone else on the rookie scoring list, not even Makar. He's on another level. He might break the Canuck defenseman scoring record as a rookie. That's crazy.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Here's a crazy thought. If Hughes performs at his current PPG average for the next 22 games, which would tie him with Pettersson for the Canucks rookie scoring record, he'll also tie Phil Housley for the 4th most points ever scored by a rookie defenseman. 

If he performs at the pace he's performed at over the last 25 games (in which he's scored 29 points), he'll pass Brian Leetch for the 2nd most points ever scored by a rookie defenseman, with a legit shot at Larry Murphy's all time rookie defenseman scoring record.

Hughes is beyond elite. 

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1