Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Makes me wonder what Benning and co. saw in him that 6 previous teams didn't

nm; those are pretty fantastic players that all went ahead of him - can't go wrong there

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its nice that deciding on the top 3 players in from draft isn't an easy decision, but many would have Hughes in there in a re-draft. Same with Petey's. I don't care what the  draft order was, these guys are clearly top 1 or 2 quality in almost any draft. 

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

Can it even be argued anymore that Quinn isn’t better than Dahlin?  Sabres got Eichel and not McDavid.  Then, even when they win the lottery, they end up with second best again.  So glad they picked wrong. 

Reminds me of the Jagr draft.  

1. Nolan

2. Nedved

3. Primeau

4. Ricci 

5. Jagr

All five are fantastic players but one is clearly above the rest and he didn't go 1st overall.  

At this rate both Dahlin and Hughes will be in the HoF and probably one or two more from that draft.  

• Hydration 1

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

One can make an argument for Makar, but definitely not for Dahlin.  Hughes and Makar are crazy good.  Dahlin is Edler level.  

Haha Alf...

...you also said Oli Juolevi would be better than Dahlin.  So don't mind me if I don't take your stance on this.  :lol:

• Huggy Bear 1

33 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Haha Alf...

...you also said Oli Juolevi would be better than Dahlin.  So don't mind me if I don't take your stance on this.  :lol:

OJ is better than Dahlin ... in tennis. :lol:

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

OJ is better than Dahlin ... in tennis. :lol:

Juolevi is better than Dahlin in speaking Finnish too

Edited by 250Integra
  • Haha 3

Watched Avs vs Caps game last night.

Makar is no where near Hughes in terms of impact that he has on his team. Makar moves the puck well and we all know about his shot. But he doesn't control the play, he relays plays very well but doesn't walk the line like Hughes nor does he go end-to-end or even gain entry to the zone with ease like Hughes.

Hughes is a one man break out machine like Patrick Kane but on defence.

If the writers are voting not just based on stats but actually watching the game tapes of these two players, it's a no brainer. Quinn should win the ROY.

Alas, I doubt the majority of the voters watch the full games. It's going to be a close race to the end.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, khay said:

Watched Avs vs Caps game last night.

Makar is no where near Hughes in terms of impact that he has on his team. Makar moves the puck well and we all know about his shot. But he doesn't control the play, he relays plays very well but doesn't walk the line like Hughes nor does he go end-to-end or even gain entry to the zone with ease like Hughes.

Hughes is a one man break out machine like Patrick Kane but on defence.

If the writers are voting not just based on stats but actually watching the game tapes of these two players, it's a no brainer. Quinn should win the ROY.

Alas, I doubt the majority of the voters watch the full games. It's going to be a close race to the end.

Came to that conclusion from one game eh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Hughes is great, but so is Makar - just in a different way

14 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Yes. Typical of a CDC member eh?

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Last 9 games:

Huggy Bear - 11 points

Miller - 9 points

Petey - 7 points

Gaudette - 6 points

Pearson - 4 points

BO - 3 points

Brock - 2 points

Virtanen - 2 points

Quinn Hughes is the engine of this team.  He is the 2019-2020 Canucks MVP and should win the Calder Trophy.  He is better than Rasmus Dahlin.

Just heard Hiskanen is looking north of nine million per fir his next contract.  Hughes is better than him.  What’s Hughes looking at fir his next contract ... 11 million per?  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Just heard Hiskanen is looking north of nine million per fir his next contract.  Hughes is better than him.  What’s Hughes looking at fir his next contract ... 11 million per?  

The number will definitely start at $9 million but could push to $10 million...

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The number will definitely start at $9 million but could push to $10 million...

Is JB going to have to use our prospects and picks as sweetener to dump crappy contracts so we have room to sign these top young stars?  Seriously we should be locking up Hughes and Petey for 8 years each.  But we don’t have the cap room to do that, because of too many crap contracts.  Uggh. :picard:

Just now, Alflives said:

Is JB going to have to use our prospects and picks as sweetener to dump crappy contracts so we have room to sign these top young stars?  Seriously we should be locking up Hughes and Petey for 8 years each.  But we don’t have the cap room to do that, because of too many crap contracts.  Uggh. :picard:

We can lock them up.  Loui will retire.  Sutter, Edler, Pearson, Baertschi Benn  and Spooner will all be off the books.  Ferland will most likely be on LTIR.  That's $30 million right there.  Plus we can either trade or buy out Roussel after next year as well as Beagle if need be.  And the cap will go up substantially after next year with the expansion draft money.  There will be money to sign our two franchise players.  It's actually not even an issue if you look at Cap Friendly and do the math.  

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We can lock them up.  Loui will retire.  Sutter, Edler, Pearson, Baertschi Benn  and Spooner will all be off the books.  Ferland will most likely be on LTIR.  That's $30 million right there.  Plus we can either trade or buy out Roussel after next year as well as Beagle if need be.  And the cap will go up substantially after next year with the expansion draft money.  There will be money to sign our two franchise players.  It's actually not even an issue if you look at Cap Friendly and do the math.  

I believe expansion money does not count as revenue so it will not factor in the cap going up.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mikkim said:

I believe expansion money does not count as revenue so it will not factor in the cap going up.

And the Players Association wants to get rid of the current 15 to 20 percent escrow.  That means no more escalator falsely increasing the cap.  The cap is staying pretty close to where it is right now for several years.  

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And the Players Association wants to get rid of the current 15 to 20 percent escrow.  That means no more escalator falsely increasing the cap.  The cap is staying pretty close to where it is right now for several years.  

That could change when the new American tv deal happens in a couple of years, 2021/22 season, and according to Forbes they are expecting a big increase which could have a big impact on the cap 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradadgate/2019/01/15/hockeys-big-pay-day-is-coming/#71d361234e44

• Hydration 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

sure hope you're wrong on that..

I would think all contracts are negotiated based on the assumption that the cap goes up regularly.. not doing so would change the calculation of contract values and make it hard for gm's to balance it all out.. what I mean is the contracts JB has negotiated are based on numbers increasing, not stagnating

1 hour ago, Glug Datt said:

sure hope you're wrong on that..

I would think all contracts are negotiated based on the assumption that the cap goes up regularly.. not doing so would change the calculation of contract values and make it hard for gm's to balance it all out.. what I mean is the contracts JB has negotiated are based on numbers increasing, not stagnating

alf just makes stuff up

he does not know

cap is going up with new tv contract

many stars have contracts scheduled to expire with this new deal

auston matthew's contract is specifically timed in this manner

will see a cap increase in that season from anywhere from 5 to 10 million or more

depending on the value of that new deal and how it is structured

Edited by coastal.view

7 hours ago, mikkim said:

I believe your correct that the expansion fee doesn't count as revenue. But another team making revenue does FWIW ;)

As for Hughes (or what may be asking for :rolleyes:), I believe Hughes likely signs for a little more than what Provorov did.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I believe your correct that the expansion fee doesn't count as revenue. But another team making revenue does FWIW ;)

As for Hughes (or what may be asking for :rolleyes:), I believe Hughes likely signs for a little more than what Provorov did.

Yes, I should have been a little more clearer, the expansion fee does not count towards the cap, as far as Hughes next contract, if JB can sign him for a cap hit a little over Provorov's that would a steal I think just based off of Quinn's play this year.