The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Mustapha said:

The Calder trophy is about the most outstanding rookie, it's not like the Art Ross where you just hand the trophy to the person with the most points.

Hughes has been getting a ton of points, but his 5 on 5 play is excellent, he has contributed to a ton of goals, even when he doesn't get an assist.

He makes fantastic outlet passes every.single.time.

I wouldn't trade Hughes for anyone else on the rookie scoring list, not even Makar. He's on another level. He might break the Canuck defenseman scoring record as a rookie. That's crazy.

From what Ive seen from both this season, talent for talent, you put both of them on the ice same time, Makar is the better player

But impact, different story, as many people stated and I think so too, Quinn Hughes has had much bigger, much more profound impact to this team than Makar with the Avs. I do believe if you switched both of them, Makar here, Hughes with the Avs, Makar would have more points than Q but it wouldnt equate to more wins. Hughes just makes his defensive partner and everybody in the ice better, something that Makar, as pretty as he gets the points, doesnt

57 minutes ago, khay said:

Thank you Marc Bergevin for not picking Zadina. If he picked Zadina, Detroit will for sure pick Quinn Hughes.

HM to Chayka for picking Hayton (good pick in hindsight) rather than Zadina.

Detroit, don't worry, Zadina will be a good player... just not as good as Q.

Speaking of which, Quinn Hughes already has more career points than Kotkaniemi, who is a forward and played an extra year.

• Like 1

I can't believe it, but I honestly think Hughes might actually be a better young player than Pettersson. Scoring 60+ points as a rookie defender (which it looks like he can) while remaining solid defensively is far more impressive than what Petey did as a rookie.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Great 5v5 player but not someone who's gonna be out there when we're holding on to leads late or on the PK. Not a traditional two-way D in that sense, he's utilized offensively but world class puck-moving and offensive talent.

I don't expect QH to be used defensively in most regards, his size and skill set point him to be a more of an offensive defenseman but #1D can be more offensive for sure. He's world elite level at what he does for sure.

Would love to acquire another Dman around his caliber but amazing at both ends, more so in his own. PP(though not needed) PK, match up, physical. Shea Weber type. Guy that's gonna be facing the McDavid's/Mackinnon's etc.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

I think the All-Star experience has made Hughes an even better player. By being at the event and hanging out with the top players around the league made him a better player. Since the all-star break, he has been on a tear and start to play better and better each game on offensively and defensively.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I can't believe it, but I honestly think Hughes might actually be a better young player than Pettersson. Scoring 60+ points as a rookie defender (which it looks like he can) while remaining solid defensively is far more impressive than what Petey did as a rookie.

In all fairness to Petey, he didn’t have Hughes and Miller last year.

8 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Hughes currently sits 4th OA in All Defenseman scoring. Only 3 d-men in the league has more points than Hughes: Carlson, Josi and Hedman. That's it.

I was just about to post the exact same thing.  I figured Hughes would do well, but this is borderline crazy.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

20 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Hughes currently sits 4th OA in All Defenseman scoring. Only 3 d-men in the league has more points than Hughes: Carlson, Josi and Hedman. That's it.

I wouldn't be surprised, given he keeps healthy, and the addition of Tofoli ( who finishes better than Boeser ) he'll finish 3rd if not 2nd overall.

14 hours ago, Battlemonger said:

I've been really interested in Makar lately so I've watched quite a few Colorado games. No, doubt - Makar is good; really good, but Hughes is better. Makar is fast, very good positionally, has a great shot and passes well. Hughes has all that while using the whole ice and maintaining puck control. Makar does not control the game or drive play like Hughes does. I wouldn't trade Hughes for Makar straight up. No way.

I wouldn't trade Hughes straight up even for Rasmus Dahlin...

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I wouldn't either.  Advanced Stats Hughes destroys Dhalin, and he is actually rather overrated.

What advanced stats are you using. Last time I checked they were next to identical. 
corsi 51.1 vs 52.7

fenwick 49.2 vs 52.7

SAT 50.3 vs 53.0

isat/60 9.16 vs 9.47

ozone start 58.3 vs 61.5

quinn averages more TOI including pp TOI
dahlin average 50 seconds more SH TOI/game 
Dahlin leads his D draft class with 62 hits. Quinn has a total of 6.
Dahlin averages 2.43 blocked shots per game, Hughes only 1.65. 
give aways Dahlin averages 2.13/game, Hughes is 2.58/game

take aways Dahlin is .79/game, Hughes is 1.42

Dahlin has .71 p/gp, Hughes has 0.82p/gp. 

1 hour ago, Dats hockey said:

Idk, Dahlin doesn’t have the potential Hughes does. I guess if you want to play it safe

yeah Dahlin just doesn’t have the same potential..... he’s making nhl history but just doesn’t have the same potential. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2