The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

43 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

What advanced stats are you using. Last time I checked they were next to identical. 
corsi 51.1 vs 52.7

fenwick 49.2 vs 52.7

SAT 50.3 vs 53.0

isat/60 9.16 vs 9.47

ozone start 58.3 vs 61.5

quinn averages more TOI including pp TOI
dahlin average 50 seconds more SH TOI/game 
Dahlin leads his D draft class with 62 hits. Quinn has a total of 6.
Dahlin averages 2.43 blocked shots per game, Hughes only 1.65. 
give aways Dahlin averages 2.13/game, Hughes is 2.58/game

take aways Dahlin is .79/game, Hughes is 1.42

Dahlin has .71 p/gp, Hughes has 0.82p/gp. 

yeah Dahlin just doesn’t have the same potential..... he’s making nhl history but just doesn’t have the same potential. 

Hughes made us close to top of our conference.

1 hour ago, Dats hockey said:

Hughes made us close to top of our conference.

First of all it’s a team game, not an individual game. Marky has been extremely important to canucks run this year, as is miller and Petty. 

Second of all there only a 6 point difference between the two teams. That’s winning more 3 games. Its not like canucks are some power house. We are in a weak division, if we were in the East, we wouldn’t even be in a wildcard spot. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Winter Soldier said:

No, I just don't see the value in homerism. Hughes has been a revelation for us already but to act like he's clearly better than Dahlin is wrong.

You stated that a poster was silly because he would not trade Hughes for Dahlin. That obviously indicates that you feel that Dahlin is clearly better than Hughes. I would suggest that since valid arguments can be made either way, for you to act like he's clearly better than Hughes is wrong.

• Huggy Bear 2

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

First of all it’s a team game, not an individual game. Marky has been extremely important to canucks run this year, as is miller and Petty. 

Second of all there only a 6 point difference between the two teams. That’s winning more 3 games. Its not like canucks are some power house. We are in a weak division, if we were in the East, we wouldn’t even be in a wildcard spot. 

Quinn’s first year vs Dahlin first year...

also I understand it’s a team sport... But do you know what a facilitator is, Quinn makes thing happen. And the piece around him have been great

Edited by Dats hockey
  • Huggy Bear 1

7 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

What advanced stats are you using. Last time I checked they were next to identical. 
corsi 51.1 vs 52.7

fenwick 49.2 vs 52.7

SAT 50.3 vs 53.0

isat/60 9.16 vs 9.47

ozone start 58.3 vs 61.5

yeah Dahlin just doesn’t have the same potential..... he’s making nhl history but just doesn’t have the same potential. 

still nope.  :) 

7 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

corsi 51.1 vs 52.7

fenwick 49.2 vs 52.7

SAT 50.3 vs 53.0

isat/60 9.16 vs 9.47

ozone start 58.3 vs 61.5

still nope.  :)   but its close though, for sure. He will be a star, but I don't see him as Generational as some people say he is. His defensive side of the game is not as polished as Heiskanen or even Hughes at this point.

1 minute ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

still nope.  :)   but its close though, for sure. He will be a star, but I don't see him as Generational as some people say he is. His defensive side of the game is not as polished as Heiskanen or even Hughes at this point.

He is definitely improving on a game by game basis, like Hughes, despite the fact that he suffered a concussion earlier this year. Also doesn't help that he plays on the Sabres who have have 1 guy offensively and are poorly run. I think if Dahlin was with us he'd have almost similar production and deployment.

Personally I see Dahlin a lot like I see Petey. Elite players already but the ceiling and potential is scary. Hughes is like Kane in this regard. Hughes may end up being one of or maybe the best at what he does but there's only so much he can improve at like Kane.

On top of that Dahlin can do things Hughes can being 5 inches bigger, perhaps not as good but still. Being a bigger player is definitely more difficult to bob and weave and be shifty with the puck, especially as a defenseman but Dahlin has that talent and it says a lot. Small elite skating-offensive defenders have that advantage of being able make plays in tight better than anyone 6'3'' can make. So Hughes will be better in that regard and perhaps offensively because he has that advantage over Dahlin but that doesn't discount the fact that Dahlin is also amazing offensively for a big guy and with the puck. Probably one of the best 6'+ puck handling defenseman in the league. Dahlin with time has the potential be able to match up with the best of them and improve PK blocking shot, hitting. There's no part of the game where he could not improve which is a luxury Hughes doesn't have due to his size.

So my point/speculation is Hughes will likely be better at what he does than Dahlin but Dahlin is probably going to be great in more aspects and bring more to the table or at least has the potential to.

It's the rookie and sophomore years for these guys so it is way to early to be definitive about anything yet but that's how I personally feel about it.

I think we can agree that we're probably not gonna agree about it though

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He is definitely improving on a game by game basis, like Hughes, despite the fact that he suffered a concussion earlier this year. Also doesn't help that he plays on the Sabres who have have 1 guy offensively and are poorly run. I think if Dahlin was with us he'd have almost similar production and deployment.

Personally I see Dahlin a lot like I see Petey. Elite players already but the ceiling and potential is scary. Hughes is like Kane in this regard. Hughes may end up being one of or maybe the best at what he does but there's only so much he can improve at like Kane.

On top of that Dahlin can do things Hughes can being 5 inches bigger, perhaps not as good but still. Being a bigger player is definitely more difficult to bob and weave and be shifty with the puck, especially as a defenseman but Dahlin has that talent and it says a lot. Small elite skating-offensive defenders have that advantage of being able make plays in tight better than anyone 6'3'' can make. So Hughes will be better in that regard and perhaps offensively because he has that advantage over Dahlin but that doesn't discount the fact that Dahlin is also amazing offensively for a big guy and with the puck. Probably one of the best 6'+ puck handling defenseman in the league. Dahlin with time has the potential be able to match up with the best of them and improve PK blocking shot, hitting. There's no part of the game where he could not improve which is a luxury Hughes doesn't have due to his size.

So my point/speculation is Hughes will likely be better at what he does than Dahlin but Dahlin is probably going to be great in more aspects and bring more to the table or at least has the potential to.

It's the rookie and sophomore years for these guys so it is way to early to be definitive about anything yet but that's how I personally feel about it.

I think we can agree that we're probably not gonna agree about it though

Hughes is better offensively

Hughes is also better defensively.

this is the most important fact to me.  Dhalin can have 300 more hits then Hughes I don't care about that.

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

32 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Hughes is better offensively

Hughes is also better defensively.

this is the most important fact to me.  Dhalin can have 300 more hits then Hughes I don't care about that.

On a better team with better players playing his rookie year, not having had any sort of concussion, not on a poor organization.

If you're only focused on the here and now yup he currently is a bit better given the circumstances.

If you're looking at it any differently or if you asked anyone that wasn't a Canucks fan then they'd look at differently because you don't make your mind up what a player, let alone a defenseman, is after 1 and 2 seasons into the NHL.

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

On a better team with better players playing his rookie year, not having had any sort of concussion, not on a poor organization.

If you're only focused on the here and now yup he currently is a bit better given the circumstances.

If you're looking at it any differently or if you asked anyone that wasn't a Canucks fan then they'd look at differently because you don't make your mind up what a player, let alone a defenseman, is after 1 and 2 seasons into the NHL.

So Dhalin scores more points if he was a Canuck?  

On 2/18/2020 at 9:37 AM, aGENT said:

No, but you can look at recent D who signed RFA bridge deals like McAvoy ($4.9x3) or Werenski ($5x3) or Provorov ($6.75x6).

Hughes will likely fall under one of those scenarios ($5m'ish x 3 or $7m'ish X 6).

Benning's not going to stray far from that framework and Hughes' agent won't have much in the way of leverage to demand otherwise.

i don't really agree with this

hughes is arguably the top player in his draft class

he is verging on already being elite

unless he wants a bridge contract, i doubt that his contract will end up as one

these very special players are usually better looked after by their team

i think the canucks have to treat both ep40 and hughes

as a category of rfa that gets that top end handling

we'll see over the next season how serious the nucks are about these 2

On 2/24/2020 at 8:01 PM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

So Dhalin scores more points if he was a Canuck?  

Nothing is definitive but I'd say more than likely he'd have more points than he currently does yeah. We are a better offensive team that Buffalo. IDK if he'd have more than Hughes because, like I said earlier, I believe being smaller and having elite skating/offense puts you at an advantage over bigger guys offensively. I think it'd be close personally. 

I would imagine he'd be playing more minutes a game here because unlike Buffalo we don't have a good top 6 D. I would assume if we did have a more reliable one we wouldn't have to rely on Hughes/Tanev/Edler/Myers so much this year.

Dahlin 18:57

Hughes 21:42

Look at their points per 60 at 5v5

Hughes 1.4/60

Dahlin 1.33/60

At 5v5 they both have the exact same A1/60 at .55 and pretty much the same A2/60 Hughes .61 Dahlin .63

Oddly enough Dahlin has a higher PP points per 60 at 6.03 while Hughes is at 5.6 but the main reason for that is because Hughes is 2nd among defenseman in PP TOI with 235:45 while Dahlin is 16th with 179:15.

Nevertheless the P/60 stats show that both players are pretty damn good offensively

SAT wise Hughes is an incredible player and beats out Dahlin. I've always thought Hughes to be a better possession player because of his skill set, size and speed. It's just bred for that type of play. Playing with good players and on a good team definitely helps though.

Here's the interesting tidbit. 5v5 on-ice save percantage Dahlin beats Hughes with 94% when he's on the ice while Hughes's 90.6. You'd think that would be much higher for Hughes.

Overall I would presume that Dahlin would be more productive considering his production is similar to Hughes and have a bit more better underlying numbers if he were on a better team, given that they are not bad already. Whether or not he'd have better numbers than Hughes is uncertain.

The one thing that's certain is that Hughes is the epitome of an elite puck-moving defenseman. 

@ForsbergTheGreat Check these numbers out. They are pretty interesting.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 1

Hughes will be the best player on this team in a couple of years. Imo will be a top 10 player in this league someday. Has the qualities of a superstar in the new NHL, skating and IQ.

Hughes really heating up now, looking very confident out there offensively.

• Cheers 1