The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

I do think that on a whole, Hughes is the better player. He tends to get overlooked for his defense, but he gets tough assignments out there and imo does very well... especially considering his limited size.

I do hope he wins the Calder for his sake, but at the end of the day I am just happy we finally have the elite scoring defender we have needed for so long.

• Cheers 2

This kid is a freaking superstar 1/2 a season into his career. green double shifts him for the 3rd period and he plays well the whole time.

If we can get just one other D who has 1/2 the skill Hughes does, we would be much better. That is why I am all for getting Barrie in the summer if we can also keep Toffoli.

Would make the whole team way better with two D that can actually move the puck.  I used to be a myers supporter but the guy struggles to make a pass.

Edit: and myers continues to do that stupid spin move where he loses the puck half the time.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

16 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

This kid is a freaking superstar 1/2 a season into his career. green double shifts him for the 3rd period and he plays well the whole time.

If we can get just one other D who has 1/2 the skill Hughes does, we would be much better. That is why I am all for getting Barrie in the summer if we can also keep Toffoli.

Would make the whole team way better with two D that can actually move the puck.  I used to be a myers supporter but the guy struggles to make a pass.

Edit: and myers continues to do that stupid spin move where he loses the puck half the time.

man if we could get Barrie, that would be crazy AND keep Toffoli in the line up. 

Our top six would be set for years. 

And we'd have legitimate defensive corps that also knows how to get the puck to the forwards, and score too. make the powerplay so much more dynamic. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 9:07 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Nothing is definitive but I'd say more than likely he'd have more points than he currently does yeah. We are a better offensive team that Buffalo. IDK if he'd have more than Hughes because, like I said earlier, I believe being smaller and having elite skating/offense puts you at an advantage over bigger guys offensively. I think it'd be close personally. 

I would imagine he'd be playing more minutes a game here because unlike Buffalo we don't have a good top 6. I would assume if we did have a more reliable one we wouldn't have to rely on Hughes/Tanev/Edler/Myers so much this year.

Dahlin 18:57

Hughes 21:42

Look at their points per 60 at 5v5

Hughes 1.4/60

Dahlin 1.33/60

At 5v5 they both have the exact same A1/60 at .55 and pretty much the same A2/60 Hughes .61 Dahlin .63

Oddly enough Dahlin has a higher PP points per 60 at 6.03 while Hughes is at 5.6 but the main reason for that is because Hughes is 2nd among defenseman in PP TOI with 235:45 while Dahlin is 16th with 179:15.

Nevertheless the P/60 stats show that both players are pretty damn good offensively

SAT wise Hughes is an incredible player and beats out Dahlin. I've always thought Hughes to be a better possession player because of his skill set, size and speed. It's just bred for that type of play. Playing with good players and on a good team definitely helps though.

Here's the interesting tidbit. 5v5 on-ice save percantage Dahlin beats Hughes with 94% when he's on the ice while Hughes's 90.6. You'd think that would be much higher for Hughes.

Overall I would presume that Dahlin would be more productive considering his production is similar to Hughes and have a bit more better underlying numbers if he were on a better team, given that they are not bad already. Whether or not he'd have better numbers than Hughes is uncertain.

The one thing that's certain is that Hughes is the epitome of an elite puck-moving defenseman. 

@ForsbergTheGreat Check these numbers out. They are pretty interesting.

hard to know what to make of this post

to me it is so much nonsense

let's make things a tad simpler and more common sense

you reference buf has a better top 6 (meaning d??) - really? yet nucks have allowed less goals then buffalo, so how do you arrive at your conclusion??

you know why hughes gets more ice time then dahlin

because he has earned it

he is clearly the best dman on the canucks roster

if dahlin was as good as hughes is

he would warrant and get more ice time, but he is not clearly as good

you do not need stats or analytics to arrive at this obvious conclusion

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

you reference buf has a better top 6 (meaning d??) - really? yet nucks have allowed less goals then buffalo, so how do you arrive at your conclusion??

he’s talking about top 6 in forwards. The better top 6 a team has the more goals the team scores, the more points a D man is able to obtain. This is why 8 of the top 10 scoring defensemen also happen to play on 8 of the top 10 scoring teams in the league. 

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

because he has earned it

Umm not sure if I should inform you but Elder gets more ice time than Hughes.

edler average TOI = 22:40

hughes average TOI = 21:44

chabot league highest TOI = 25:58

I guess common sense has settled it. Chabot is the best D in the league. Oscar klefbom is the 5th best d in the league too. 

7 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

he’s talking about top 6 in forwards. The better top 6 a team has the more goals the team scores, the more points a D man is able to obtain. This is why 8 of the top 10 scoring defensemen also happen to play on 8 of the top 10 scoring teams in the league. 

Umm not sure if I should inform you but Elder gets more ice time than Hughes.

edler average TOI = 22:40

hughes average TOI = 21:44

chabot league highest TOI = 25:58

I guess common sense has settled it. Chabot is the best D in the league. Oscar klefbom is the 5th best d in the league too. 

well the nucks are a much better offensive team then buffalo so that makes even less sense

(unlike Buffalo we don't have a good top 6)

and i never said hughes got more ice time then edler

i said he gets more ice time then dahlin because he warrants it and has earned it

his ice time has increased steadily since the start of the season

and go ahead

be silly with stats

to distort what i said

i never said hughes got the most ice time in the league

the comparison was only between hughes and dahlin

but you are a stats focused guy

and cannot avoid trying to use them in silly ways

so silly

keep doing you though

whatever floats your boat

Edited by coastal.view
  • Wat 2

3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

well the nucks are a much better offensive team then buffalo so that makes even less sense

(unlike Buffalo we don't have a good top 6)

It makes a lot of sense. The better a teams top 6 foward core is, the more points a defense is able to get. Does victor Hedman not benefit from playing on a top PP unit that has Stamkos, kucherov and point?  Yes he does there’s no way to argue that. And playing along side higher talent helps inflate his numbers, over defensemen that don’t get to play along side the same quality. 

canucks top 6 forward core is much better than buffalos. Canucks have 5 forwards with 42 points or higher. Buffalo has 2. 

3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

and i never said hughes got more ice time then edler

i said he gets more ice time then dahlin because he warrants it and has earned it

his ice time has increase steadily since the start of the season

and go ahead

be silly with stats

to distort what i said

i never said hughes got the most ice time in the league

the comparison was only between hughes and dahlin

you claimed that because Hughes gets more ice time than Dahlin, it validateS the claim the Hughes is better than Dahlin. Now that I showed you the major flaw in that logic you’re back tracking. 

How come your TOI theory only applies to Hughes and Dahlin....cough cough because it suited your sad narrative.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, coastal.view said:

because he has earned it

Not hard at all.

Buffalo has a better top 6 than us. They have only 1 guy over 20 minutes. They can spread the minutes. We can't. That doesn't mean they'll give up less goals because there is a lot to go into goals against than just your #5 and #6 defenseman. 

Our top 6 D are not as good. Stech and Fanta average like 15-16 minutes a game. have almost 4 guys over 20 minutes. Tanev is like 19:42. I said our forwards were much much better as well and that most certainly helps Hughes production

Conclusion is we have a better goalie and a better team. They just have a better top 6 so they can spread out the time more easily. We are significantly better in almost every other category. You switch Hughes and Dahlin, Dahlin would get 20+ minutes with the Canucks because we still have a bad top 6 and would have to rely on him like Hughes. It's pretty easy to see. 

If we have better top 6 D than Hughes/Myers/Edler/Tanev don't need to play as much. It is pretty abundant that we want better D. People screaming for Tryamkin and making all kinds of proposals to acquire one.

Points per 60 point to the fact that Dahlin has similar production as Hughes despite being on a weaker team in Buffalo.

Also Dahlin gets scored on less when he's on the ice. His save percentage when he's on the ice 5v5 is 93.9% which is higher than Buffalo's overall 5v5 save % as a team while Hughes is 90.5% which is lower than the Canucks overall 5v5 save %.

Also I never said that solely these stats for be used definitively but they help prove that Dahlin has dominant numbers on a bad team. When you watch him you see why those numbers are the way they are. I can only imagine how good he'd be on a better team like ours. I feel he'd have Hughes-type of production.

4 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Not hard at all.

Buffalo has a better top 6 than us. They have only 1 guy over 20 minutes. They can spread the minutes. We can't. That doesn't mean they'll give up less goals because there is a lot to go into goals against than just your #5 and #6 defenseman. 

Our top 6 D are not as good. Stech and Fanta average like 15-16 minutes a game. have almost 4 guys over 20 minutes. Tanev is like 19:42. I said our forwards were much much better as well and that most certainly helps Hughes production

Conclusion is we have a better goalie and a better team. They just have a better top 6 so they can spread out the time more easily. We are significantly better in almost every other category. You switch Hughes and Dahlin, Dahlin would get 20+ minutes with the Canucks because we still have a bad top 6 and would have to rely on him like Hughes. It's pretty easy to see. 

If we have better top 6 D than Hughes/Myers/Edler/Tanev don't need to play as much. It is pretty abundant that we want better D. People screaming for Tryamkin and making all kinds of proposals to acquire one.

Points per 60 point to the fact that Dahlin has similar production as Hughes despite being on a weaker team in Buffalo.

Also Dahlin gets scored on less when he's on the ice. His save percentage when he's on the ice 5v5 is 93.9% which is higher than Buffalo's overall 5v5 save % as a team while Hughes is 90.5% which is lower than the Canucks overall 5v5 save %.

Also I never said that solely these stats for be used definitively but they help prove that Dahlin has dominant numbers on a bad team. When you watch him you see why those numbers are the way they are. I can only imagine how good he'd be on a better team like ours. I feel he'd have Hughes-type of production.

ok

but you overlook an important fact

that i was corrected when i thought the poster was referring to top 6 as their d

and was told the top 6 referred to top 6 players on offense

so you are in fact not responding at all to what i was told the poster meant about top 6

so you can redo your post to direct your response to what the poster said

and not what you or i think he meant to say

as we are both wrong about that

Edited by coastal.view

8 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It makes a lot of sense. The better a teams top 6 foward core is, the more points a defense is able to get. Does victor Hedman not benefit from playing on a top PP unit that has Stamkos, kucherov and point?  Yes he does there’s no way to argue that. And playing along side higher talent helps inflate his numbers, over defensemen that don’t get to play along side the same quality. 

canucks top 6 forward core is much better than buffalos. Canucks have 5 forwards with 42 points or higher. Buffalo has 2. 

you claimed that because Hughes gets more ice time than Dahlin, it validateS the claim the Hughes is better than Dahlin. Now that I showed you the major flaw in that logic you’re back tracking. 

How come your TOI theory only applies to Hughes and Dahlin....cough cough because it suited your sad narrative.

i cannot explain your lack of reading comprehension

i have reread my posts

and then yours

and they do not relate in the manner you suggest

i'm done spinning wheels here

this is a public board

others can read our exchange

and draw their own conclusions about what is going on

2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

ok

but you overlook an important fact

that i was corrected when i thought the poster was referring to top 6 as their d

and was told the top 6 referred to top 6 players on offense

so you are in fact not responding at all to what i was told the poster meant about top 6

so you can redo your post to direct your response to what the poster said

and not what you or i think he meant to say

as we are both wrong about that

I meant top 6 D but I alluded to the fact that their offense is worse than ours which is a disadvantage Dahlin has. I pointed that out in the post I made as well. 

My mistake if I was not as elaborate as I should of been by stating top 6 and not throwing D out there. I can see how it can be mistaken, my bad to the both of you.

1 minute ago, TGokou said:

Technically what makes Hughes season even more impressive is that Lidstrom was already 22 when he had his rookie season,

I also think that if Hughes can surpass 60 pts and Makar doesn't they have to give Hughes the Calder.  By hitting 60 pts he will be the highest scoring defenseman in NHL history in their rookie season. Just the talk alone of accomplishing that feat will generate tremendous buzz.

• Huggy Bear 2

2 hours ago, TGokou said:

I also think that if Hughes can surpass 60 pts and Makar doesn't they have to give Hughes the Calder.  By hitting 60 pts he will be the highest scoring defenseman in NHL history in their rookie season. Just the talk alone of accomplishing that feat will generate tremendous buzz.

I think if Hughes is within 0.05 points-per-game of Makar, you have to give it to him. Makar isn't bad defensively, but he's not as well-rounded as Hughes, which means Hughes doesn't need as many points as Makar to still be considered better.