The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

On 3/3/2020 at 8:25 AM, Tre Mac said:

Sounds like Quin was talking to the trainer a lot during the 3rd period in the CBJ game, would this explain why he didn't play in the final 10min?  I know the Green haters instantly jump to the 'WTF is Green doing not playing Quin in the final 10min?!?!?!' but I find that just a little hard to fathom that a coach with his job on the line wouldn't turn to his best Dman when the game was on the line.  Last thing this team needs is a lingering Hughes injury going forward - maybe he just had the scoots.:bigblush:

I, too, thought about that but didn't bother.  The haters gonna hate despite the underlying facts that aren't always obvious.

I've mentioned that before...sometimes a guy "sitting" isn't all it appears at face value.  

• Cheers 1

When asked if he should seriously be considered for the Calder Trophy, Hughes didn't hesitate.

"Yeah, for sure, I think so," he said, according to The Hockey News' Ken Campbell. "I'm not the one making the call, but, especially the last 30 games, I don't know if anyone has been better than me."

...."I haven't surprised myself because I thought I would do really well," Hughes added, according to Campbell. "I've been doing this my whole life, so why would I be surprised? At the same time, you think you're going to do well, but you never know how things are going to go. So, I'm humbled by that."

In context matters...

• Thanks 4

On 3/2/2020 at 3:38 AM, 73 Percent said:

stop quibbling

:bigblush:

i am hearing his name should be spoken equally with orr

forgetaboutit that he does not even yet have a full season under his belt

oh yeah,

and only last season ep40 was gretzky

where has that talk gone this season ?

the overhyping of our young talent on these boards is silly

it does not show adequate respect for the true superstars

who have established their credentials over a career

not partial seasons

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sedinery33 said:

He probably honestly doesn't know. He was answering a question with a question IMO

I don't mind swagger if we are a really good team. Makes us look like fools if we aren't.

Like I said I doubt he meant to come across. 20 year old young adult.

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

I don't mind swagger if we are a really good team. Makes us look like fools if we aren't.

Like I said I doubt he meant to come across. 20 year old young adult.

I want Huggy Bear to absolutely believe he’s the best.  That’s how elite winners think.  I think Petey has that in him too.  Only losers think they are second best.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I want Huggy Bear to absolutely believe he’s the best.  That’s how elite winners think.  I think Petey has that in him too.  Only losers think they are second best.  

Not everybody. A lot of humble elite players out there, cup winners too. If you're on a losing team and think you're the best you'll only be laughed at by winning teams. That was my point.

Like I said though I don't think he meant to come across as that.

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Not everybody. A lot of humble elite players out there, cup winners too. If you're on a losing team and think you're the best you'll only be laughed at by winning teams. That was my point.

Like I said though I don't think he meant to come across as that.

Inside even the outwardly humble believe they are the best.  Those are the ones who lead their teams to cups.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Inside even the outwardly humble believe they are the best.  Those are the ones who lead their teams to cups.  

Yeah but a guy like Crosby or McDavid aren't gonna outwardly express cockiness because they can let their play speak for itself.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah but a guy like Crosby or McDavid aren't gonna outwardly express cockiness because they can let their play speak for itself.

Agreed.  But it doesn’t matter what a player says.  It’s what they believe that matters.  Hughes believes he’s the best. I love that.  

17 hours ago, coastal.view said:

stop quibbling

:bigblush:

i am hearing his name should be spoken equally with orr

forgetaboutit that he does not even yet have a full season under his belt

oh yeah,

and only last season ep40 was gretzky

where has that talk gone this season ?

the overhyping of our young talent on these boards is silly

it does not show adequate respect for the true superstars

who have established their credentials over a career

not partial seasons

Hughes is not a Orr clone. Not close. Orr had a physical side to his game that Hughes never will. Orr had a 2nd gear in his skating that Qinn doesn’t have. Comparables would be edge work, vision and maybe a shot.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Hughes is not a Orr clone. Not close. Orr had a physical side to his game that Hughes never will. Orr had a 2nd gear in his skating that Qinn doesn’t have. Comparables would be edge work, vision and maybe a shot.

Quinn is more like Scott Neidermyer, but with better puck skills, and offensive gifts.  Orr was the best the was, is, and ever will be.  127 and winning Art Ross trophies will never happen again for a D man.  D today will have the puck on their stick at tops 1-2% of their time on ice.  Orr had it 20-30% of the time.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BPA said:

Already top 5 in defenceman scoring.  Should be a lock for the Calder. 

Makar still has a higher points-per-game. I would agree that he should win the Calder, as Hughes has a stronger all-around game, but I think it's not likely a lock yet, because there are those that will focus more on points.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Makar still has a higher points-per-game. I would agree that he should win the Calder, as Hughes has a stronger all-around game, but I think it's not likely a lock yet, because there are those that will focus more on points.

Back in Feb.

Voting totals (points awarded on a 5-4-3-2-1 basis): Cale Makar, Colorado Avalanche, 82 points (11 first-place votes); Quinn Hughes, Vancouver Canucks, 77 points (6 first-place votes); Victor Olofsson, Buffalo Sabres, 36 points; Elvis Merzlikins, Columbus Blue Jackets, 26 points (1 first-place vote); Dominik Kubalik, Chicago Blackhawks, 15 points; Nick Suzuki, Montreal Canadiens, 13 points; Adam Fox, New York Rangers, 11 points; Ilya Samsonov, Washington Capitals, 5 points; Ethan Bear, Edmonton Oilers, 2 points; Mackenzie Blackwood, New Jersey Devils, 2 points; John Marino, Pittsburgh Penguins, 1 point

It'll be a close race.

• Upvote 1