The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

We will know if these 'writers' actually watch the games or just read the score sheets.  I know the games are on at 10 their time but if it's their job to follow the sport they should make time to watch all the games.  

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

We will know if these 'writers' actually watch the games or just read the score sheets.  I know the games are on at 10 their time but if it's their job to follow the sport they should make time to watch all the games.  

The question is do any of those people have votes that voted on NHL.com?

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

The question is do any of those people have votes that voted on NHL.com?

It probably aligns with the majority, but I'm sure it'll be a bit different. Personally, I have Hughes just ahead of Makar, but only by a hair. Makar is definitely better offensively so far.

On 5/31/2020 at 12:50 PM, -AJ- said:

To be fair, had Makar played the same number of games, it's likely the same would be said about him. We're talking about two legendary rookie seasons in the same year.

Makar is also playing on a much better offensive team.   

Anyone with a few minutes want to break down their stats?  Particularly the dreaded 2nd PP assists that cost Boeser the calder(look, love Barzal but goals are much harder to come by and should be worth at least 2 2nd PP assists).

2 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Makar is also basically a full year older and more developed than Quinn. So in this sense, I give Quinn the edge.

It seems like your perspective would be the majority, but I personally think aside from making the requirements for the Calder (26 or younger), age shouldn't be a factor. The description of the award says it's given "to the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League" with no comment on age. Obviously, I think a strong season by an 18-year old is more impressive than the same by a 26-year old, but when it comes to the Calder specifically, I don't think it should factor in.

To put it another way, I think the Calder should be "best rookie this year" and not "rookie with the brightest future".

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, -AJ- said:

It seems like your perspective would be the majority, but I personally think aside from making the requirements for the Calder (26 or younger), age shouldn't be a factor. The description of the award says it's given "to the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League" with no comment on age. Obviously, I think a strong season by an 18-year old is more impressive than the same by a 26-year old, but when it comes to the Calder specifically, I don't think it should factor in.

Maybe, but I still think it is a factor and there is a strong argument to be made that it should factor in. Otherwise why have the age cutoff at all? Panarin winning it at age 24 after spending 6 seasons playing professional hockey in the world's second best league isn't the same as an 18 year old coming in from junior and doing the same thing.  I won't argue that he wasn't by definition the "most proficient rookie", but it does feel like a test he was given some questions to in advance. Some players are more "rookie" than others is I guess what I'm getting at.

2 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

I don't have a problem with Makar winning. I think Quinn deserves it more (I am biased), but a strong case is easily made for Makar. 

That being said, 15 first place votes for Makar and only 2 for Quinn seems wrong to me. It should at the very least be closer.

Quinn is better, and it wouldn't be right for Makar to win, just my opinion tho. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Best video I seen breaking down the 2. Makar is fantastic dont get me wrong, but theres something about Quinn that I just really love. The way he pivots and uses his angles with his skating is out of this world and idk if I've ever seen a Dman (or FWD for that matter) as good as him especially at 20 years old. Makar should be way ahead of Hughes in PTS with the team he has to work with but they're neck and neck. 

The one thing that really sticks out to me in this video is when he compares what the teams do without Hughes and Makar in the lineup. We got ourselves a real gem here. Possibly THE BEST Dman in the league for the next 10+ years!!!

Cup is coming home to us soon guys!!!! :gocan:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Slegr said:

Does anyone know when they announce the Calder winner? It seems like they’ve been sitting on it forever.

They're just naming finalists for awards now. I'm betting winners won't be announced until October.

14 hours ago, Slegr said:

Does anyone know when they announce the Calder winner? It seems like they’ve been sitting on it forever.

10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

They're just naming finalists for awards now. I'm betting winners won't be announced until October.

They probably won't announce winners until after the Stanley Cup is awarded, or it's decided that it can't be awarded (ie. season is cancelled because the hub cities fail to contain COVID)

• Upvote 1

On 7/14/2020 at 8:50 AM, Slegr said:

21 hours ago, -AJ- said:

12 hours ago, Pete M said:

Any player that is in the company of Orr and Leetch should win the Calder (i.e., more points than any other rookie in his rookie year as a defenceman)

In the NHL press release announcing the finalists, it revealed that the winner will be revealed during the conference finals

• Thanks 1