The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

20 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm not sure about stats, but when asked about it at the draft, he said he played left side more often, but that he was also comfortable with right side I believe.

He said that there are pros and cons to playing either side to him.

I suspect he is a bit more effective offensively on the right side since it is easier/you're more dangerous to walk the line on your off-side and you're a one timer option. 

On the left side would be that it is easier to move the puck out of your own zone since the puck is more away from being stick checked from opponents as you're stick on the off side is toward the inside and it is easier to make a good first pass under pressure.  Overall you have more time to make a play.

• Thanks 2

On 8/15/2020 at 1:44 AM, filthycanuck said:

Detroit, I can understand why they passed on him, Zadina was ranked quite high and he still has upside, but Arizona absolutely had no business taking Hayton over Hughes. I fell off my chair at work laughing how that even was a possible. Remember how the CDC posts of the mock draft had us either getting Bouchard, Boquist or Dobson. I don't think any of us thought Hughes would land on our laps. He's almost single handedly turned this franchise around. Ive watched the Canucks since the early 90's, never have I seen a young Dman make such an immediate profound impact so quickly...and hes just gonna get better.

Hayton is a good player. Don't sleep on him. He was captain of Team Canada, and was completely heart and soul for that team.

Coyotes felt like they needed a center, reached for cookies and were lucky they got a good one.

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Dead &^@#ing last

well good you got Quinn then... or you might have been laster

reminds me of the time I took too many rooks and Canucks

I won the following year, but did not like cheering for Bruins and Sharks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Harvey Specter said:

The NHL Network has listed our Quinn Hughes as #11 on their Top 20 Defensemen list! 

(He was listed as #12 on a fan-surveyed list.)

See the full list via their Twitter account here:

And listed at #10 by the Hockey Guy!

4 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

Its crazy to me how much leverage people give the opinion of a smarmy egotist who can't skate.

Interesting take. First time I've realized that some people really don't like him. I don't find him particularly dislikeable. What is it about him you don't like?

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Interesting take. First time I've realized that some people really don't like him. I don't find him particularly dislikeable. What is it about him you don't like?

First, I dont find his content particularly engaging. I used to watch his videos, but it seems like nearly everything he puts out is him just reading out numbers anyone can look up. Pumping out videos of reciting stat lines seems like he's just going for quantity over quality.

Second  and this is what really soured me on him, is how undeservedly smarmy he's become. He never played organized hockey yet when I watch the odd video of him now he often talks about how "he was right all along" or  "he knew ___ would turn out that way before anyone else", and when he's proved to be wrong about something, Pettersson being a great example, rather than own up to it he gets pissy and deflects. (Also as an aside he's one of those Canucks fans who disparages the fanbase yet magically doesn't include himself, which I find particularly offputting).

Overall I just get this vibe of arrogance that most people wouldn't like in a former player turned analyst, but at least that could be understood as they did play at the highest level. The Hockey Guy doesn't really have a leg to stand on in that regard, yet he comes off as if he's infallible with no history to support it other than watching lots of hockey.

That said I don't care if people watch his videos and I dont wish him any ill will, I just find it a bit perturbing that ive seen people treating him as some kind of authority when he has no more expertise than your average CDC poster.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

First, I dont find his content particularly engaging. I used to watch his videos, but it seems like nearly everything he puts out is him just reading out numbers anyone can look up. Pumping out videos of reciting stat lines seems like he's just going for quantity over quality.

Second  and this is what really soured me on him, is how undeservedly smarmy he's become. He never played organized hockey yet when I watch the odd video of him now he often talks about how "he was right all along" or  "he knew ___ would turn out that way before anyone else", and when he's proved to be wrong about something, Pettersson being a great example, rather than own up to it he gets pissy and deflects. (Also as an aside he's one of those Canucks fans who disparages the fanbase yet magically doesn't include himself, which I find particularly offputting).

Overall I just get this vibe of arrogance that most people wouldn't like in a former player turned analyst, but at least that could be understood as they did play at the highest level. The Hockey Guy doesn't really have a leg to stand on in that regard, yet he comes off as if he's infallible with no history to support it other than watching lots of hockey.

That said I don't care if people watch his videos and I dont wish him any ill will, I just find it a bit perturbing that ive seen people treating him as some kind of authority when he has no more expertise than your average CDC poster.

I agree with this. I’ve never heard him say anything particularly insightful honestly. I actually assumed he had little to no following, but once I clicked on this vid, I was shocked to see he has so many followers. Weird.