The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Most of those prospects probably haven't even met (closely) our biggest big-game player yet either - Horvat - man will he be a great influence on the kids coming in.  He is like the epitome of hard work paying off as may I say he does not have the 'gifted' ability as some of our newer kids seem to have but is a true work horse (an Ox more like ::D)

Iam quite hopeful we can get Beagle! I would like to see Bo’s defensive duties reduced a little. Few more ozone starts ect. Although Fortunatly for us Iam not so sure Bo would like any of his current duties reduced. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

So happy about this pick. Finally we will have a d man who can skate with our speedy forwards and pass them the puck in full flight.

I can already see Hughes and Virtanen being a huge force pushing the opposition back easily. 

We’ve got a great bunch of players coming up the next few years and lots of competition for the foreseeable future which means they’ll have to earn it and push their game to the next level to be on the big club. 

Can't wait to see breakaway passes from behind our own goal line.......and having a d man who carry the puck over the other teams blue line to set up a pp.

2 hours ago, Deathbyoompa said:

Quinn may not have a booming shot but, in the vids I’ve seen he seems to have a knack for getting the puck to the net. Maybe more important than a hard shot. How many goals has Burns got with that weak wrister that he always seems to get through a crowd? 

Read somewhere that Johnny Gaudreau set up Quinn Hughes for one timers on the PP at the Worlds. Coaching Staff must have had a lot of trust / confidence in his shot.

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

You mean Troy Stecher....not tony stretcher haha.  Come on.

It's a joke used by the players and Stech himself, don't remember the backstory to it though.

Edited by J-23

7 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

You mean Troy Stecher....not tony stretcher haha.  Come on.

6 hours ago, Chicken. said:

Haha I swear i have seen multiple people make that 'mistake' on these boards - so much so I thought I was missing some sort of inside joke about calling him Tony

4 hours ago, J-23 said:

It's a joke used by the players and Stech himself, don't remember the backstory to it though.

Yeah I don’t remember the origin but is was floating around most of the season. Here’s a link to a provies article talking about troy where they use the nickname:

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/the-provies-the-best-line-in-hockey-is-dead-the-gudbranson-and-hutton-civil-war-rages-on-and-tony-stretcher-shines

6 hours ago, Chicken. said:

Haha I swear i have seen multiple people make that 'mistake' on these boards - so much so I thought I was missing some sort of inside joke about calling him Tony

It is a joke of some sorts. I forget if it was during an interview, or while naming the stars of the game, but his name was misspelled as Tony. Sort of like Schenider's first career hat trick kind of gimmick.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Benning's reaction when Detroit took Zadina

Also does Brackett say "lucky for us he fell" ????????

d3kJ14l.gif

who is Jim looking back at? its like he's sneaking a peek at something he shouldn't. 

8 hours ago, Deathbyoompa said:

Quinn may not have a booming shot but, in the vids I’ve seen he seems to have a knack for getting the puck to the net. Maybe more important than a hard shot. How many goals has Burns got with that weak wrister that he always seems to get through a crowd? 

He really does get the puck to the net, so as long as we have guys who are ok with working in tight they can compliment his playing style.

Weak wrister?  I thought Burns had a very good shot.

10 hours ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

I remember watching Orr in the 70s and Coffey in the 80s - he's more Orr than Coffey.

I was very young but loved Bobby Orr, as he was like a Joe DiMaggio character -- a real hero, especially against those hated Habs.  Style-wise, I do recall Orr being more of a rover, cycling and roaming all over the ice with the puck, controlling the game because nobody could take it from him.  Coffey was more of a straight-line skater who could speed up the ice and stickhandle around guys, and fit in perfectly with the high-octane Oiler offense.  In that regard yes, the comparison to Orr could well be better.  All three of them have that "skating on air" aspect, seems so natural and effortless.

10 hours ago, cory40 said:

Why you think Pettersson's 100 mph shot won't get better. He has a rocket.

Pettersson won't be playing the point.  He and Boeser will be the twin 100mph+ cannons to the left and right.  And as others have mentioned, Hughes actually has a pretty decent wrister, just not the booming clapper... yet.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Chicken. said:

Here is Troy explaining how he got that nickname.............

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The last tweet has me kinda worried, likely unnecessarily. In my head I trust Benning and Linden to do what's right and let the kids stew, but then my heart is like "But Aquaman might force their hand". Benning's extension was what, two years? I really hope he doesn't feel pressured into forcing these kids into situations they aren't ready for. I don't want Hughes in the lineup next year unless he is absolutely ready, same with Pettersson and Juolevi and every other prospect. I know it was just a shot in the dark, stars align kind of question in regards to Hughes being ready next year but still. No need to rush anyone. We got a real stud here with Hughes. Lets stick to the plan. 

Him going pro and going to Utica sounds really nice though. We can handle his development much better with him in Utica. College wouldn't be terrible either. Just nicer to be able to be more hands on with his development with him in Utica. Only downside is that starts the timer on his ELC. College for a year, then potentially NHL/AHL next year?

• Upvote 2