The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Is there an NCAA rule about not having an agent? I keep seeing NHL folks referring to his "family & advisors".  I recall the same for Boeser, Demko, and Gaudette.  Is this related to the no payments/sponsorships rule that requires these guys to pay their own way to dev camp or something else?

10 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

The last tweet has me kinda worried, likely unnecessarily. In my head I trust Benning and Linden to do what's right and let the kids stew, but then my heart is like "But Aquaman might force their hand". Benning's extension was what, two years? I really hope he doesn't feel pressured into forcing these kids into situations they aren't ready for. I don't want Hughes in the lineup next year unless he is absolutely ready, same with Pettersson and Juolevi and every other prospect. I know it was just a shot in the dark, stars align kind of question in regards to Hughes being ready next year but still. No need to rush anyone. We got a real stud here with Hughes. Lets stick to the plan. 

Him going pro and going to Utica sounds really nice though. We can handle his development much better with him in Utica. College wouldn't be terrible either. Just nicer to be able to be more hands on with his development with him in Utica. Only downside is that starts the timer on his ELC. College for a year, then potentially NHL/AHL next year?

I think all are going to get time in the NHL and if they blow the doors off, they stay.  If they don't, they'll go to the AHL

8 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

The last tweet has me kinda worried, likely unnecessarily. In my head I trust Benning and Linden to do what's right and let the kids stew, but then my heart is like "But Aquaman might force their hand". Benning's extension was what, two years? I really hope he doesn't feel pressured into forcing these kids into situations they aren't ready for. I don't want Hughes in the lineup next year unless he is absolutely ready, same with Pettersson and Juolevi and every other prospect. I know it was just a shot in the dark, stars align kind of question in regards to Hughes being ready next year but still. No need to rush anyone. We got a real stud here with Hughes. Lets stick to the plan. 

Him going pro and going to Utica sounds really nice though. We can handle his development much better with him in Utica. College wouldn't be terrible either. Just nicer to be able to be more hands on with his development with him in Utica. Only downside is that starts the timer on his ELC. College for a year, then potentially NHL/AHL next year?

Couple of great question N7.

How much influence is Aquaman going to exert on management to play 'the future' right now? I like JB/TL a lot and can see the value in the direction they've chosen,  but I've never once believed Aquaman hasn't interfered - or at least influenced - several of their decisions about on-ice personnel.  It's a business after all and he's a businessman. 

Also,  many pros/cons regarding where Hughes plays next year.   College is a great place for a player to physically mature because of the amount of off-ice and practice time throughout the season.   But pro hockey is pro hockey and absolutely nothing prepares a prospect for the NHL grind like the AHL.  

Guess we'll see.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

Is there an NCAA rule about not having an agent? I keep seeing NHL folks referring to his "family & advisors".  I recall the same for Boeser, Demko, and Gaudette.  Is this related to the no payments/sponsorships rule that requires these guys to pay their own way to dev camp or something else?

Up until recently, NCAA hockey players weren't allowed to have agents: https://www.sbnation.com/2018/1/20/16911646/ncaa-rules-agents-hockey-baseball-football-basketball

The strict player revenue regulations are also why Hughes has to pay his way to Canucks development camp (which apparently isn't a problem for his family).

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

How much influence is Aquaman going to exert on management to play 'the future' right now? I like JB/TL a lot and can see the value in the direction they've chosen,  but I've never once believed Aquaman hasn't interfered - or at least influenced - several of their decisions about on-ice personnel.  It's a business after all and he's a businessman. 

Also,  many pros/cons regarding where Hughes plays next year.   College is a great place for a player to physically mature because of the amount of off-ice and practice time throughout the season.   But pro hockey is pro hockey and absolutely nothing prepares a prospect for the NHL grind like the AHL.  

Guess we'll see.

I think the owners are smart enough to know that taking time to develop is wise. They have a huge investment in these kids. The prospects are the future of this franchise.  To them that means money. Having these kids develop properly will set this franchise up for the next 10 plus years.

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

Guess we'll see.

Yeah, it's a hard read with Aquaman. Especially with the "look how fast Colorado and New Jersey did their rebuild with a couple trades" tweet.

And yeah I was also thinking about the College route and how much work out time they get. But at 170 (if that is accurate to his weight) he doesn't have that much weight he needs to add. The Sedins were 180-190 at 6'2/6'3. So he could very easily bulk up in Utica while also getting an understanding of a NHL type schedule/grind etc. 

We have a good many options with Hughes. I trust in Benning and Linden to do what's best, if they are given the room to do what's best. This is the part of the rebuild where it doesn't feel so bad. Before we had no real light at the end of the tunnel. Now we do and we are starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

You are worrying too much. Some of this is what did you expect your GM to say.

"Even if they seems ready, we are going to have them out of the roster", how would your prospect feel about that? Not good to burn bridges this early.

Also with taking Hughes over Zadina, there is no way in hell he is going to say he will take Zadina over him after just drafting Hughes. Don't read too much into these comments. The GM has no option but to say those things to the media, it may no be what they actually think.

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

You are worrying too much. Some of this is what did you expect your GM to say?

"Even if they seems ready, we are going to have them out of the roster", how would your prospect feel about that? Not good to burn bridges this early.

Also with taking Hughes over Zadina, there is no way in hell he is going to say he will take Zadina over him after just drafting Hughes. Don't read too much into these comments. The GM has no option but to say those things to the media, it may no be what they actually think.

I know, I worry about things. But you have to admit as we near the end of the rebuild sometimes people get trigger happy. Owner did tweet some interesting things. Stuff like that feed in my paranoia. Just thinking out loud so to speak with some of these things. Offseason is so long I can't help but think of every little thing.

27 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

Yup.

37 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I don't think you need to worry. If he's playing here this year, it's because he's NHL ready.

Even if he goes to college (vs here or Utica), he'll likely be signed at the end of the year and play here the last month or so which will burn a year of his ELC regardless. So either way, his ELC starts this year in all likelihood. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Yup.

I don't think you need to worry. If he's playing here this year, it's because he's NHL ready.

Even if he goes to college (vs here or Utica), he'll likely be signed at the end of the year and play here the last month or so which will burn a year of his ELC regardless. So either way, his ELC starts this year in all likelihood. 

Good point. He won't necessarily need to sign before the end of the year but I imagine he likely will to burn through his ELC quicker.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think Aqulini has been involved in a hockey decision since he hired Linden. There's much more evidence that he's hands-off vs meddling, not sure why the meddling owner theory keeps coming up tbh.

Because Canucks fans and local media can be :wacko::blink::frantic:

Honestly Aqualini is probably the best ownership this team has ever had.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

He really does get the puck to the net, so as long as we have guys who are ok with working in tight they can compliment his playing style.

Weak wrister?  I thought Burns had a very good shot.

Burns has an excellent shot. Weak wrister was a poor choice of words. Should have said he takes a lot off his shot to get the puck through traffic. 

Not sure who we have to play that gritty net front presence. Tipping pucks in or grabbing greasy rebounds. 

Just now, Deathbyoompa said:

Burns has an excellent shot. Weak wrister was a poor choice of words. Should have said he takes a lot off his shot to get the puck through traffic. 

Not sure who we have to play that gritty net front presence. Tipping pucks in or grabbing greasy rebounds. 

Horvat, Dahlen, Gadjovich...

Edited by aGENT