The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

Up until recently, NCAA hockey players weren't allowed to have agents: https://www.sbnation.com/2018/1/20/16911646/ncaa-rules-agents-hockey-baseball-football-basketball

The strict player revenue regulations are also why Hughes has to pay his way to Canucks development camp (which apparently isn't a problem for his family).

Thanks.  Knew about the latter but not the former.

4 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

It is going to be hard to keep him off the team...but the only showcase he may have is the Young Prospects tourney and he has to pay his own way to that...

Benning will have to decide if he wants to push the young man into the lineup on his world cup performance and how he looks with our kids...

Still he would likely be our best D. within a month or 2 and EP and Boeser are going to need someone who can get them the puck...preferably in the O zone...!

I say he makes it even with all the roadblocks in his way.

If he signed a pro contract he could either continue his education in Utica. There is a top flight university in Syracuse if he is in the AHL or in Vancouver.  

Management and Hughes, his family and his advisers are meetimg soon to decide what is his best development course. 

His his dad has coached and worked in Pro hockey for long time. So we aren’t dealing with Hogdson’s dad. 

30 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

If he signed a pro contract he could either continue his education in Utica. There is a top flight university in Syracuse if he is in the AHL or in Vancouver.  

Management and Hughes, his family and his advisers are meetimg soon to decide what is his best development course. 

His his dad has coached and worked in Pro hockey for long time. So we aren’t dealing with Hogdson’s dad. 

I am thinking Benning is being extra respectful and careful with this guy too, which I am really liking. Recognizing he is a key part of the future, but not rushing into it either. 

4 hours ago, MattJVD said:

We wouldn't be able to cover flights, hotels, or reimburse restaurant meals, etc. However, a vet on the team who has a spare bedroom could put him up, and we are able to have our own cooks prepare team meals and he can eat those for free.

Trouble is, his school year will have already started by the time our September training camp and preseason rolls around. 

I don't think there's a problem in hiring him as a paid blogger during that week (ie next week).

Edited by rizzuto&hatoum
finishing off sentence

Personally I think Quinn is going to be playing for the Canucks this season. He’s been around  professional hockey his whole life with his father and more recently Keith tkachuk. Hes a gamer. His defence is underrated because he’s always got the puck. He’s got the speed and smarts to do a lot of damage in the new nhl.  

The only thing I’d worry bout is injury but that could happen anywhere. (Knocking on wood ). 

Sign him and worse case he plays big minutes in the ahl Till he’s ready. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Seven pounds soft said:

Personally I think Quinn is going to be playing for the Canucks this season. He’s been around  professional hockey his whole life with his father and more recently Keith tkachuk. Hes a gamer. His defence is underrated because he’s always got the puck. He’s got the speed and smarts to do a lot of damage in the new nhl.  

The only thing I’d worry bout is injury but that could happen anywhere. (Knocking on wood ). 

Sign him and worse case he plays big minutes in the ahl Till he’s ready. 

I know he’s NHL ready.  Plus we have the perfect partner for him in Tanev.  If he does go to Utica, which I doubt, they have less travel, and more time for practice/working out.  

• Upvote 1

I was listening to Bill Muckalt this morning. He is the associate coach at Michigan. The topic of the more physical NHL came up. He said that Hughes was only caught once this past season. He was slew-footed which resulted in a power-play for them.

He is very agile, fast, elusive, aware, and smart. However, the NHL is the best league in the world. The league is full of fast, smart, experienced grown men. Can Hughes survive a full grueling NHL season injury free as a 170-pound rookie at 18? What about the cheap shot artists out there? Players that would like nothing better than to nail a super slick, slightly built youngster. I still have visions of Ekblad going back for the puck and Hendricks nailing him from behind into the boards and concussing him. What happens if we make the playoffs where almost anything goes? Can Hughes withstand a Wilson like blindside hit? Doesn't matter how elusive you are. How do you protect yourself from a cheap shot blindside hit?

Hughes is an important core piece for this team. As fans, we are all excited at the thought of Hughes on the Canucks. Francesco is as excited as any fan. Fans as a whole, are an impatient bunch. I have confidence in Canuck management. I hope they don't give in to the pressure to rush Hughes.

Edited by Alexandre
  • Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I know he’s NHL ready.  Plus we have the perfect partner for him in Tanev.  If he does go to Utica, which I doubt, they have less travel, and more time for practice/working out.  

I’d feel pretty good if he was with Guddy to keep everyone honest with him. Or do they play the same side?

• Upvote 2

Just now, Seven pounds soft said:

I’d feel pretty good if he was with Guddy to keep everyone honest with him. Or do they play the same side?

Guddy is a right shot, right side guy.  Hughes is left shot, left side.  Guddy would sure be a good body guard.  Plus, Guddy could do the heavy work, and free up pucks.  You might have something there.  

• Upvote 1

Defencemen have a lot to learn before the NHL and on average take longer then forwards to be ready.  

A lot of fans and media are saying that he might be NHL ready based on the World Championships, and then quoting themselves and saying it as a fact that he’s NHL ready.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Guddy is a right shot, right side guy.  Hughes is left shot, left side.  Guddy would sure be a good body guard.  Plus, Guddy could do the heavy work, and free up pucks.  You might have something there.  

I have to agree, if Hughes is going to start the year in Vancouver then Guddy might be the perfect partner. Should help keep him sheltered abit.

• Upvote 1

Hughes said he has no idea if he will turn pro. Does that not sound odd?

He already played college last year, would have to think he would already know that before the draft, or could it be dependant on who drafted him? Not saying it is just throwing it out their.

Also seems odd why he would talk to his College coaches about the decision, its more so do you want to play in the NHL and make $ or not? Of course his College coaches are going to want him to stay...

He will get a max type contract, so nothing shocking or hard to figure out with the agent.

To me its black and white, Quinn do you want to play in the NHL right away sign here...if not go back to College and dominate and we will talk to you next spring

Taken from the Canucks.com NHL page

More commonly known as Quinn Hughes - he is a dynamic and skilled puck possession defenceman who isn't afraid to rush, carry, and hold onto the puck anywhere on the ice.

Quinn's father, Jim, was an assistant coach of the Orlando Solar Bears in the IHL when the newest Canucks prospect was born. At that time, Canucks Assistant GM John Weisbrod was an executive with the Solar Bears and grew up with Jim Hughes in Long Island. So the connections between the organization and the Hughes family go way back.

Many people will point to Hughes' height and suggest that he will struggle to defend but the numbers at the NCAA level disagree with that. The Orlando born defender posted a goals for percentage of 61.4% and a GF realative percentage of +7.4% in the NCAA this past season. If he was on the ice, he was pushing the puck in the right direction and those percentages show that he was excelling comparative to his teammates. He ended his collegiate season with a goal differential of +16 (43 GF/27 GA) while on the ice during 5 on 5 play.

Hughes trailed only Scott Perunovich in points by a freshman with 29, but played five fewer games and is 14 months younger. Hughes finished 15th in points-per-game (0.78) among all NCAA defencemen and was 24th in terms of shots per game (2.51) against that same group.

Hughes is an extremely adept skater who can carry the puck but is also a fantastic passer that puts the puck on his teammates stick with incredible efficiency. While representing the United States at the World Championships this year, he finished third at the event with a 70.83% success rate. That number stands out even more so as he was a draft eligible player going up against professionals.

The numbers reinforce that Hughes is a defender who can protect his own zone by just moving the puck out through his efficient passing. He isn't afraid to exit the zone with the puck as well.

Not many defencemen are first time NHL draft eligible after completing a full season in the NCAA, and that makes what Hughes did at the various levels so impressive.

cut.jpg

DRAFT | Quinn Hughes Highlights

• 01:00 • June 22nd, 2018

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

There's much more evidence that he's hands-off vs meddling, not sure why the meddling owner theory keeps coming up tbh.

When JB was first hired he was interviewed by Jim Hughson.   In that interview he revealed he believed he himself was rushed into the NHL as an 18yo by the Leafs and when he became management he said that experience always influenced his personnel decisions.   When Trevor was hired he preached patience - that there were no quick fixes for the franchise situation.   Needed to let prospects fully develop etc....then they throw JV and Canner to the wolves in moves that go directly against what they both said.   That has ownership overriding management written all over it imo.  Then there's the whole Torts debacle.....

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I'm curious to how team tank feels about how this played out. The Canucks still got their choice of the 2nd best dman according to their BPA list. They wanted to trade up to get him but didn't need to. Sure there may have been some good forwards that we could have taken had we fallen, but the defense cupboard was bare and we needed this. Next year is deep for centermen. The Sedins got their send off that they deserved and we got our guy, not sure how much better this could have played out given the circumstances.

Add Pettersson & Boeser to that. 

While we're at it Kole Lind, Gadjovich, Demko, Gaudette, Woo, Dipietro, etc... 

What's meant to be is meant to be...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Edler - Stecher

Juolevi - Tanev

Hughes - Gudbranason

Del Zotto, Hutton, Pouliot, Biega etc. as extras

• Upvote 1