The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Borvat said:

I can only be responsible for me not others.  I stand by my comment, intent and observation.  I said something because I observed it and chose to remark.  It was a pretty weak wrister.  I'm sure it's due to it being practice.  End of quote.  Thanks.

You're welcome.:)

2 hours ago, Borvat said:

I can only be responsible for me not others.  I stand by my comment, intent and observation.  I said something because I observed it and chose to remark.  It was a pretty weak wrister.  I'm sure it's due to it being practice.  End of quote.  Thanks.

You were right tho.  

The kid has a child’s shot.  It will get better, but it is weak as can be at this point.  

It was a pretty big standout for me watching all his highlight videos

18 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

That is NOT the reason.  If he turns pro he will make the team because he will show out of camp that he is one of the top 6 dmen.  "100% ready" is a red herring.  Was Boeser "100% ready"?  Horvat?

The team is a business and exists by making money, and to make money it must sell tickets, and to sell tickets it must win games and be entertaining.  Quinn Hughes has the clear potential to do both of those, as soon as this year.

Yes Boeser was, he had already played the year before and was our best scorer in the time he played. Horvat was aswell, coming into his first season Horvat was already one of our best faceoff men from the start & he had improved his skating more than enough to play. 

Hughes will make the team alot more money in the grand scheme of things if he is developed properly. Its a big jump going from the college schedule to an NHL schedule right after the draft, Hughes shouldn't be playing if we are going to have him playing bottom minutes & walking him through the season. He may very well be ready but if he & the team aren't 100% sure/confident in a decision to turn pro then he shouldn't do it. Its alot more important that he develops to his full potential. If he's sent back he could still sign & play at anytime, its not like CHL guys. 

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

You were right tho.  

The kid has a child’s shot.  It will get better, but it is weak as can be at this point.  

It was a pretty big standout for me watching all his highlight videos

This is Hughes biggest offensive weakness. He doesn’t have much of a point shot. Great passer, playmaker and dynamic skater. Held his own against allstar lineups at the WC. 

This could inproce with his other

weakness. Size/strength. 

Shooting is a complicated thing and I have no idea if he can improve it greatly but he should take a page out of Kessler’s book and shoot 600 times a day, everyday.

I like Hughes over Bomqvist in every other metric.  

7 hours ago, Borvat said:

Edited by cory40

Hughes will not send rockets from the point. But will get goals from the point because he is so dangerous. Brian Leach had a decent shot but was able to score because goalies could not just focus on his shot. He could find the open guy like no other. And he used his fake shot to create lanes .

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, the_impersonator13 said:

The Sedins had weak shotz too.....:huh:

Not really.   Not the greatest shots for sure, but much better than Hughes.  

I’m not trying to put the kid down.  

Not everybody has a perfect set of tools.   

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Only Botchford would compare the impact Hughes would have on the lineup with Beagle... :picard:

Could there be a more Apples to Oranges comparison?

To be fair, he's talking about crowd draw.

Hughes shot is weak but, from what I’ve seen he gets it to the goalie. More important than having a huge shot imo( see ankle buster Edler). If he can continue to sneak shots thru at the nhl level maybe we see a resurgence of Erickson cleaning up the garbage around the net.

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, 3rdGenCanuck said:

He was definitely used in a sheltered role and wasn't relied on much defensively. However, I remember one particular play against Canada when it looked like Horvat was on a clear breakaway. Hughes used his speed to easily catch Horvat and then bumped him, stole the puck, and immediately transitioned the puck into the offensive zone. It was that play that sold me on Hughes as the guy I wanted at 7 haha! 

Then a few shifts later Brayden Schenn was on a 2 on 1 (Hughes had pinched) and with his tremendous backchecking caught up with Schenn and manhandled him, took the puck and drove straight down the ice, passed it to a player who returned a nifty pass back and got a partial breakway, nearly scored. That game really sold me.

Throughout the tournament he was used in PP and PK situations, however few games he played about 7:30ish minutes. He also had a -1 and that came against South Korea of all teams.

19 minutes ago, Deathbyoompa said:

Hughes shot is weak but, from what I’ve seen he gets it to the goalie. More important than having a huge shot imo( see ankle buster Edler). If he can continue to sneak shots thru at the nhl level maybe we see a resurgence of Erickson cleaning up the garbage around the net.

Totally.  Nice point about Loui as well... that’s his jam.

Plus, we can always find someone with a big shot to pair with him.  He’s a rover.. not a 6’4 cannon that has to stay on the point.  He’s all over the ice. 

...and it’s not like he won’t have a pair of cannons to feed in Brock and Elias!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1