The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Just when I think I can't get anymore excited about this guy, he goes out and tells the media, after recognising his skating was the best in the draft, that he thinks his hockey IQ is the best part of his game.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Were Jake Virtanen & Jared McCann NHL-ready too? What about the people advocating for them to go back?

They arguably earned their spots out of camp, especially McCann who I think had 5 goals.  Jake was kept primarily because they figured he would develop better there than with the Hitmen, and McCann eventually got put into a role he wasn't ready for because of all the injuries.  Should they have sent them back in the New Year?  Sure, that could be argued, but maybe they just wanted to let them run with the increased responsibility, or had already gone past the threshhold of games played, or didn't want to bring up scrubs from Utica (depth was ugly), hard to say.  In any case, whether that spoiled them long-term is not easy to determine and won't be for quite a while.

We'll see at camp how ready they are, and expectation is that at least a couple will be, as reflected by the UFA signings.  Pettersson for one was considered the best prospect not playing in the NHL, and both he and Gaudette continue to be name-dropped, along with Hughes who JB pretty clearly wants to get in this year.

7 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Eriksson could either “fail his physical” or “allergic to hockey equipment.”

It we could ‘loan him to a European club like a former goalie Chi had. 

Honestly it should never been the Loungo rule. It should have been the Blackhawks rule. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

There’s no player currently on the Canucks that will go to the net like Dahlen.  The last players we had that went to the net like this were Burrows and Jansen in their prime.  Bo Horvat does sometimes but Dahlen goes to the net like a pitbull with regularity.   Dahlen is Honeybadger 2.0

Honeybadger 2.0 with better hands...  Dear god please be true....

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Jasek may even be a Dahlen lite.

This is, want I want to hear.... 

Can't wait to see them all in action... 

This team is going to be so strong in depth.... magical.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, AllWeatherFan said:

That was an embarrassment. 

Yep. Agreed . The kid is as white as a ghost and they are grilling him. Leave him alone 4 God sakes . Kids obviously not feeling well. 

Edited by cuporbust

From Kuzma:

Hughes has also worked at his defensive game. On Tuesday, he proved he can defend with smart stick decisions and he battled better than expected in board battles.

“I’ve always told teams that my defensive game is undervalued,” said Hughes. “It’s something I’ve tried to really work on because I know people pick at it. At times, it’s just as good as my offensive game. And at Michigan, I was used as a shutdown guy in key situations and it was good for my overall game.”

....just sign him already....Hughes too Pettersson too Boeser...too top corner...is already a thing in my mind....!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

I think what’s really funny is when he got drafted I remember clearly on the radio that day how the knock on his game was his defensive awareness. 

But then they said how can he lack defensive awareness if he’s always in the offensive zone 95% of the time.

Made me giggle. :lol:

Good times ahead Canucks fans...good times.

• Upvote 2

Oh gosh, that media scrum. I am usually pretty fortunate that I don't get to hear much from our media but for whatever reason no matter how many times I dislike or click "not interested in this video" youtube keeps giving me videos from the Province about the Canucks. I can't not click, I am a sucker for pain. But anyway, I swear they asked Hughes like 3 times about his contract, and he gave them the same answer all 3 times. I dunno why that bothered me so much, but I hate our media. Then he was pretty much asked if he had the runs. Come on now. I wouldn't even jokingly ask my friend that. Let alone someone I don't know. Be less embarrassing. 

This kid. I get the shivers when I watch his clips. I remind myself to stay patient. He is still young. But man does he seem to have some special qualities. Not just skill but his demeanor. Super pumped we drafted him. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Oh gosh, that media scrum. I am usually pretty fortunate that I don't get to hear much from our media but for whatever reason no matter how many times I dislike or click "not interested in this video" youtube keeps giving me videos from the Province about the Canucks. I can't not click, I am a sucker for pain. But anyway, I swear they asked Hughes like 3 times about his contract, and he gave them the same answer all 3 times. I dunno why that bothered me so much, but I hate our media. Then he was pretty much asked if he had the runs. Come on now. I wouldn't even jokingly ask my friend that. Let alone someone I don't know. Be less embarrassing. 

We better get his contract signed quick before he decides he doesn't want to be in Vancouver lol

1 hour ago, rekker said:

This kid. I get the shivers when I watch his clips. I remind myself to stay patient. He is still young. But man does he seem to have some special qualities. Not just skill but his demeanor. Super pumped we drafted him. 

@rekker

Hughes is a unique player.  He is already our best D man ever.  Within 1 month of playing games, he will be considered one of the best D men in the league.  Within one season he will be considered generational.  He is a phenom.  We have two phenoms now: Hughes and Pettersson.   

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

We better get his contract signed quick before he decides he doesn't want to be in Vancouver lol

He seems like a really good kid. I am not worried about him not wanting to be here cause of the media, but it's still so embarrassing that these media guys somewhat represent the fanbase. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

@rekker

Hughes is a unique player.  He is already our best D man ever.  Within 1 month of playing games, he will be considered one of the best D men in the league.  Within one season he will be considered generational.  He is a phenom.  We have two phenoms now: Hughes and Pettersson.   

Ok Apollo Jr. tone it down a tad. I’m a huge fan of Hughes already as well, but let’s keep it in the realm of sanity.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

He seems like a really good kid. I am not worried about him not wanting to be here cause of the media, but it's still so embarrassing that these media guys somewhat represent the fanbase. 

Our media are terrible. If I was a better public speaker I’d throw my hat in. Honestly couldn’t be any worse then Botchford, Patterson or Kuzma. 

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

@rekker

I thought cannabis wasn't legal for another few months.  Medicinal?  B)

• Upvote 2