The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Viper007 said:

Yup, they look to be heading in the right direction.  Let's see if JT re-signs, but it's looking better for the islanders.  They were finally smart in dumping Snow.

I'm sure he will, they are building a new facility in Belmont and they will want Tavares to remain as the face of the franchsie with young kids their grooming now.

1 minute ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Top line centres and top pairing D are guys you can only draft, rarely available in trade or free agency.

People say you can trade for positional needs. I say if that was the case, we would've traded for a replacement for Sami Salo a long time ago.

• Cheers 1

I really hate to be negative, but "Yay, another boy to be pushed around by men!"  (Biega - Stetcher - Del Zotto - Pouliot)  It was bad watching our D-men loose so many wall battles last year in our own zone.

We really need some D to step up this year and next year.  If no players emerge in our back end by then, we are going to be in trouble for many years after.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Wow.   I had no concept if him falling this far to Vancouver.   I honestly think he could be the best player out of this entire draft including Dahlin.    I am tired, been up since 6 AM my time yesterday but am currently very pumped that Canes got the best forward and Canucks may have the best Dman.   

Quinn is likely a year away but I would not be shocked if he made it out of camp either - his WHC showing was impressive and he did not look out of place.   He has an edge and will become the league's next Ryan Ellis in my mind.

Wow, I am so surprised.    I think short of winning the entire lottery and taking Dahlin, this may have been Benning's pick at 2.    

Shocked and very happy for the Canuck organization.   

Ryan Ellis has a hammer for a shot though. hopefully Quinn's gets better but Im fine with this pick

we will soon have the ability to strike quickly. say goodbye to the edler drop pass zone entry, hughes will give us the ability to transition into the opposing end like we have never before. and ah, yes, i see what you did there jim. fabulous head fake with the 'his shot isn't that great' comment. obviously detroit bought it hook, line, sinker, zadina. i thought the top ten would be wacky but the way things played out . . . who knew?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I am happy with this outcome. It was better than expected. Obviously, I never though Hayton would go so early. I don't see how Arizona passed on Zadina, in which case Detroit was have likely taken Hughes. Then I think the Canucks would have taken Dobson, which would have made me happy, but Hughes is a better prospect. So far, the book on Dobson is that he is a very safe pick, very likely to be a least top 4 but probably with a ceiling as a #2 guy. Hughes, on the other hand, is thought to have a ceiling as a #1 D, and is arguable the best skater in the entire draft. 

Hughes has already shown that he is probably better than Cale Makar, the first D taken last year. He has been great in the NCAA and was pretty good at the IIHF World Championships -- which is a similar quality to the NHL. 

Frankly, Hughes could probably help the Canucks this year, although I assume that both he and the Canucks would probably prefer him to go back to Michigan this season.

for 5'10" and 179 lbs. He has the frame for his size to play this year. I hope he has a great camp. Depends on his play with men ,Maybe he gats the few games to see.

I love that we are absolutely stressing skating.

That draft couldn't have gone better for us.  A load of really good D and Jim got his choice of them.  

In the long run he may be the perfect partner for OJ.  What I have read says that he is at his best with a really mobile guy, this is a REALLY mobile guy.

May be a good guy to slap next to Gudbranson for the short term.  Can take care of all of the breakouts and Guddy can clear the crease and dig.  Just needs to learn get puck, give to Quinn.

Islanders had a fantastic draft.  Barzal, Wahlstrom and Dobson, nice start for Lou.

homerun as far as picking 7.  I figured this is who Van wanted but never imagined he would be there.    I wanted Brady or Hughes but thought they were no goes.  I am not sure Van would have even taken Zadina over Hughes.  Christmas today!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, thrago said:

Yeah Arizonas pick through me for a loop.

no way, centers are worth a lot and every assessor was saying this kid is a legit NHLer.  I thought he might go higher and even wondered about Van.  That is a good pick the yotes.