The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Interesting decision by Quinn's younger brother. It must be a busy summer for the Hughes' family off the ice.

You have to wonder how much this will affect Quinn's decision now. Had Jack chosen to join him at the Univeristy of Michigan, it could've been the last time they play together for an extended period of time. That likely would've been a major positive for the entire family. Now that it's confirmed that there won't be any family ties in the NCAA, maybe he's more willing to go to the AHL instead of returning to Michigan if he doesn't make the team.

Personally, I think Hughes should be back in Michigan regardless next year. The Wolverines have a lot of players leaving (including their entire top line) and Hughes would be in a great position to play some really heavy minutes. I would expect his offensive numbers to be around the same or even slightly lower but his influence on the game to grow. He would also get a chance to regularly play on the penalty kill and get more defensive assignments in general. I think playing 25 minutes of all situations hockey in the NCAA would be more beneficial for him than playing 15-18 minutes of somewhat sheltered hockey in the NHL/AHL even if he does adjust to the new schedule. 

On another note, Jack's decision really highlights the growing strength of the USNTDP. It's been pumping some really talented players lately and looks to only be getting stronger. I think it might be a better environment for kids to grow in than the CHL, although it's obviously not as big. 

12 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Interesting decision by Quinn's younger brother. It must be a busy summer for the Hughes' family off the ice.

You have to wonder how much this will affect Quinn's decision now. Had Jack chosen to join him at the Univeristy of Michigan, it could've been the last time they play together for an extended period of time. That likely would've been a major positive for the entire family. Now that it's confirmed that there won't be any family ties in the NCAA, maybe he's more willing to go to the AHL instead of returning to Michigan if he doesn't make the team.

Personally, I think Hughes should be back in Michigan regardless next year. The Wolverines have a lot of players leaving (including their entire top line) and Hughes would be in a great position to play some really heavy minutes. I would expect his offensive numbers to be around the same or even slightly lower but his influence on the game to grow. He would also get a chance to regularly play on the penalty kill and get more defensive assignments in general. I think playing 25 minutes of all situations hockey in the NCAA would be more beneficial for him than playing 15-18 minutes of somewhat sheltered hockey in the NHL/AHL even if he does adjust to the new schedule. 

On another note, Jack's decision really highlights the growing strength of the USNTDP. It's been pumping some really talented players lately and looks to only be getting stronger. I think it might be a better environment for kids to grow in than the CHL, although it's obviously not as big. 

Depends on how you look at it. 25 minutes a game , but half the games against lower competition.  Yes some would argue that extra time off ice could be beneficial.  I disagree.  Any weight gained,  if he is a true ectomorph ,  it is going to be hard to keep mass no matter what he does this off season once he hits a pro league season. I'd rather see him here learning the pro game , and work out when he can . 

19 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

If Canada put all their best players together on one team, they would be pretty unstoppable.  The US program is great, no doubt, thougg

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

I see a lot of people throwing Hughes next to Guddy or Tanev (if he’s good enough for the NHL), but hear me out. What about next to Edler? Takes the offensive workload off Edler, takes the puck carrying load off him too. When Edler was at his best, he had a puck moving D-man with him. Edler is a good two way guy being asked to do too much. Hughes and Edler I think could synergize really well. Like Erhoff and Edler did.

I think most people were looking at a RH partner for Hughes. I'd imagine Edler would stay on the left side if he was paired with Hughes, how is Quinn on the right side?

3 hours ago, MattJVD said:

I think most people were looking at a RH partner for Hughes. I'd imagine Edler would stay on the left side if he was paired with Hughes, how is Quinn on the right side?

I have next to no clue, but I feel like because he won't be the defensive anchor on the pairing that it'll be fine. Or at the very least is worth checking out. It is something I also wondered myself, "how good is Hughes in the right side". We have lots of time, and by we I mean Green and company, to figure it out.

7 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Interesting decision by Quinn's younger brother.

Has anyone figured out what the USNTDP actually does? They just go from town to town dummying teams?

"We got a ringette team tonight guys, don't take this lightly those girls can skate!"

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, nzan said:

Has anyone figured out what the USNTDP actually does? They just go from town to town dummying teams?

"We got a ringette team tonight guys, don't take this lightly those girls can skate!"

Lmao I've wondered this from time to time. I try to keep in shape in case they stroll in on my ball hockey team one day.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Haha 3

A name I haven't seen mentioned much when it comes to Quinn's partner is Del Zotto. I know he's not the bets defender, but 5on5 I think he'd be good partner. DJMDZ is a good teammate who can protect Hughes if anyone cheap shots him, and they likely won't get the bulk of 5on5 minutes playing behind Edler, Tanev, Stetcher, Gudbranson. 

So... Sheltered 5on5 minutes, and then throw him on the PP1 with Bo, Brock, EP, Goldobin 

2 hours ago, nzan said:

They play against the top high school teams and occasionally against NCAA teams. The big advantage is the training they can offer; both on ice practices and off ice. It's a well funded programme with a lot of good coaches/trainers.

8 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I see a lot of people throwing Hughes next to Guddy or Tanev (if he’s good enough for the NHL), but hear me out. What about next to Edler? Takes the offensive workload off Edler, takes the puck carrying load off him too. When Edler was at his best, he had a puck moving D-man with him. Edler is a good two way guy being asked to do too much. Hughes and Edler I think could synergize really well. Like Erhoff and Edler did.

It's certainly tantalizing in theory but in practice I don't think I'd want him playing THAT many minutes and against top competition right of the bat. Prefer he see sheltered 5v5 time and loads of PP.

It would also mean HAVING to trade one of Stecher, Tanev or Gudbranson. I'd rather move one of MDZ, Hutton or Pouliot should QH make the team. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, MattJVD said:

I’m sure Quinn was quoted as saying he’s comfortable playing either side.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

There's no decision of AHL or NCAA if he doesn't make the Canucks.  Once he signs a contract, it's NHL or AHL

20 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

To me , this screams Quinn is going back,  but they dont wsnt to announce it now and effect season ticket sales . His coach in Michigan said the exact opposite of this . I heard his interview myself. He said the Hughes family dont want to drag it out , and he also needs to know sooner then later . Basically said he was told they would give him an answer no later then the end of this week. Maybe they already have . That's my guess at this point anyways.  

Edited by cuporbust
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

To me , this screams Quinn is going back,  but they dont wsnt to announce it now and effect season ticket sales . His coach in Michigan said the exact opposite of this . I heard his interview myself. He said the Hughes family dont want to drag it out , and he also needs to know sooner then later . Basically said he was told they would give him an answer no later then the end of this week. Maybe they already have . That's my guess at this point anyways.  

Sounds like you are bang on with your analysis @cuporbust.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

There's no decision of AHL or NCAA if he doesn't make the Canucks.  Once he signs a contract, it's NHL or AHL

I meant that he can choose to not sign and go back the NCAA or sign and go to the AHL. That's still choosing between the two.